Time Machine for Car Acquisition

jeff_a

If someone on the AACA Discussion Forums announced he had a working time machine, and you could go back and get two cars from the past....what would you get?

Personally, I don't think such a day will ever come, but it's an interesting thought. One writer said that if a time machine were ever perfected you would see time-machine-tourists all over the place.

A 1935, or 1936, Auburn Boat-tailed Speedster.

And my dad and mom's red with the black vinyl Victoria top 1965 Dodge Dart GT. I started learning to drive in parking lots and the local cemetary in the Dart GT when I was fourteen. I loved that car. I wish my dad had been able to hold onto it for me. :)

post-36313-143138558196_thumb.jpg

post-36313-143138558198_thumb.jpg

I am trying to think of historically significant cars that disappeared. The first that comes to mind is the 1907 Chadwick Greater Six, the first car to come with a supercharger. There are photographs but none of the cars survive. One of those might be worth going after.

Another is the legendary 1931 Pierce Arrow converted to electric power by Westinghouse for Nicola Tesla. Supposedly he added his own power supply, a kind of radio that drew power from the air, and road tested the car for several days in 1931.

The story was told by his nephew who supposedly assisted him. I keep saying supposedly because I don't believe the story. But what if it is true? Would love to have the car, and the power supply.

Better idea. If I had the time machine just give me a one way trip. I'll stay. You could have all the cars you wanted and see all your friends and Family in their prime. What would be better than to enjoy the cars with the people you loved.

Thats whole nother thread...

If someone on the AACA Discussion Forums announced he had a working time machine, and you could go back and get two cars from the past....what would you get?

Personally, I don't think such a day will ever come, but it's an interesting thought. One writer said that if a time machine were ever perfected you would see time-machine-tourists all over the place.

A lot of good responses to the "you-can-only-pick-two" dilemma. Hate to limit it to just two, but I suspect the time machine guy would have to be discreet.

Rusty, since you mentioned Nicola Tesla, has it occurred to you that the time machine guy might actually be him?

I would have my agent go to the corner of Green & Delacey in Pasadena in 1931 and see to it that they finished the Peerless Murphy Blind Rear Quarter V-16 Sedan and the Peerless Murphy-bodied V-12 which I believe they would be working on, for me.

----Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

1959 Buick Electra Convertible fully loaded/bucket seat - Tawny Rose exterior, silver interior

1953 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon - fully loaded, Glacier Blue

kept my choices real and not fantasy

Several years ago when my Dad was still alive we were talking. He asked "What kind of Ferrari was that you found?'' 'Testa Rosa Pop'I said. "How much is it worth today?'' He asked I explained 'Several mlllion dollars....'

''I should have loaned you the $1000'' he said and how many times since have I said to myself ''Yes Dad''

True story car sat on Alaska street in Torrance ..... Shop foreman's car in a plastics plant CPR

I think if I were to time travel to merely maximize profit, I'd go back to the muscle car era and pick up:

1. 1971 Hemi 'Cuda convertible (only 9 built). Cost then: about $5000. Value today: $1M plus.

2. Corvette L88. The full-race thing, not a garden-variety 427/435. Cost then: about $7000. Value today: $500,000-750,000.

3 Shelby 427 Cobra, used, sometime during the oil crisis.

4. If I'm taking a fat wallet with me, I'd probably also pick up a Z11 Corvette or Camaro, new in the wrapper.

I might also make a stop in, say, 1952 and pick up a used Duesenberg or two.

But if we're just going to cherry-pick cars that we want regardless of potential profit margin, I'd go to 1934 and start shopping for a Duesenberg, making sure to get an open SJ. Go over to the Packard store and take home a 1934 Twelve coupe/roadster, and then across the street and grab one of those spectacular 1934 Cadillac V16 Aero Coupes.

After reading these posts, I am apparently stuck in a time warp of fantasy. Mr. Brown, is there a way back? Virtual reality is such sweet musings.

Perry in Idaho

PS. When you bring me back, I will bring that special Cord built for that actress and subsequently lost somewhere in France.

I would pick up a pair of cars that doesn't exist anymore to my knowledge.

Erik Åkerlund's Bugatti type 30:

Bugatti | 250. Type 30, Chassis # 4102

There's even film fotage of it, probably after it changed hands:

http://www.filmarkivet.se/sv/Film/?movieid=200&returnurl=http://www.filmarkivet.se/sv/Sok/?themeid%3d12

1927 Arab high chassis touring:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MHV_Arab_2_Litre_1927.jpg

European vintage thoroughbreds...

Edited by Casper Friedrich (see edit history)

1958 Desoto Adventurer Convertible(Black and Gold).Only 82 Convertibles built.One sold last year for $450K.1958 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible with FACTORY fuel injection and bucket seats.Only ONE ORIGINAL equipped this way from the factory known to exist.PONTIAC1953,do you like the GREEN or the RED '54 Bonneville Special better?I have seen the GREEN one in person and it is SPECTACULAR!

hi 58srgreat, i have seen and have 60 pictures i took of the copper colored bonneville special, i've only seen pictures of the green one. the copper one is unrestored, the green one has been restored, i would show the copper, i would drive the green, joe bortz has promised me a ride in the copper car, whenever i come to visit him. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

prs519,

What actress did you mean who had a specially-built Cord made for her? L-29 or 810/812? I'm not familiar with the tale. Marlene Dietrich?

Sorry to hear you may have gotten stuck in a time warp. How are you going to pay for the cars -- 21st-century U.S. currency, Swiss Bearer Bonds, gold? Good luck with the car. I hope you don't have to go to France.