What have I just purchased?

Guest alex_houston

Guest alex_houston

I just bought what was supposed to be a 1924 DB for parts. I am very confused right now since I have a '24 and I thought all '24s had the same engine and frames.

This thing had solid windsheild posts like a sedan and obviously had doors. Confusing me is that the rear suspension has leaf spring as does my touring but the rear of it connects to a crosswise leaf which in turn is supported by half leafs running the same direction as the lower leaf spring and protruding back from the end rear of the frame.

The hood does not have louvers?

The engine has the fan mounting in the head like my 24 touring but the head has priming cups which I thought ended in 1923.

Any ideas what this is?

post-37333-143138557947_thumb.jpg

post-37333-143138557951_thumb.jpg

post-37333-143138557953_thumb.jpg

post-37333-143138557956_thumb.jpg

post-37333-143138557959_thumb.jpg

Edited by alex_houston
add photos (see edit history)

Guest alex_houston

Was just looking at a 1911 Hudson. Very similar rear half leaf suspension but without the cross leaf and bar.

Looks to be a late 22 or 23 with an aftermarket rear spring setup. Have seen several similar to that but not identical. Gerry Egland, past president, has one that belonged to Ed Hoff. Some time in 23 they started stamping the serial number on the frame at the rear shackle of the right front spring. Before that it was on the crossmember just in front of the seat on the passenger side. My 23 Roadster has the number in both places. Early 24's still had the primer cups too. The 23 and earlier frames were much lighter and were 114" wb instead of 116". No hood louvers until 24 except for a very few early early cars in 14-15.

My ´24 coupe (produced in May of 1924) has a louvered hood and rectangular pedals; I have seen round pedals only on pre-1924 DBs. The dash also appears to be that of an earlier model. The original motor in my car does have priming cups. Good luck with your purchase.

Guest M R Simpers

I shared the rear spring photo with Ed Joyce, who is very knowledgeable of Dodge Brothers and Graham Brothers trucks, and he can't identify this as a DB or GB.

M.R.