I need your help

Guest garys64wildcat

Guest garys64wildcat

I own a 64 Buick Wildcat Vert. I have clicking noise:mad: when I start off from a stop. I have replaced front and rear ujoints and center carrier bearing for the 2 piece driveline. The CV joint feel tight??. I relaced axle bearings and the trackbar bushings. It wont make the nose with rear wheels off the ground, running and put in gear:o

The noise goes away at apx 25 mph. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have mechanics locally try, but they dont have the answer. I had loose track bar bushings that I just did. and still there.

It has me pulling my hair out. The click is at even intervals. I am lost for ideas. I hate not knowing the problem. When I shift to nuetral and coast at low speed it quits. So mainly under power.

Thanks a Lot

Gary:confused:

Guest garys64wildcat

The shop did it when they replaced the front and rear ujoints and the carrier bearing. I hope they did???. I will check it. Thank You.

Did you lube the center carrier bearing? I think there is a zerk hidden on the x.

How are the front bearings? Need to be cleaned and repacked?

I also have a clicking on my 56. Thought it was the parking pawl adjustment but that was not it. I still can't figure it out.

What about the speedometer cable? Flywheel bolts? Flywheel/flexplate general attachment and integrity (but that would mean "engine-speed" related rather than "vehicle-speed" related)?

When you elevated the rear wheels, did you raise the car from the center of the rear axle (to maintain ride height) or raise the chassis/body? Just curious.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

NTX5467

Guest garys64wildcat

John, I repacked the front wheel bearings when I put new brakes 2 years ago and only have 1000 miles since. The click comes from rear. At least thats where it sounds like. Good luck with your car. Thanks for the input.

Gary

How are the front bearings? Need to be cleaned and repacked?

I also have a clicking on my 56. Thought it was the parking pawl adjustment but that was not it. I still can't figure it out.

Guest garys64wildcat

Thank You, :) They raised it with a floor jack on the rear axle housing. The trans was removed to do the front seal and new carrier bearing, I hope he tighten down the flywheel bolts??. Ive read my shop manual over and over trying to get an idea. Its a loud click. Ive checked for loose bolts on x member. speedo, works, needle jumps some. Even looked for rock in tire tread. with or w/o center caps. I though it was track bar bushings, but still there with new ones.:confused:. I thought of rear axle unit. But wouldnt the click be there all the time?

What about the speedometer cable? Flywheel bolts? Flywheel/flexplate general attachment and integrity (but that would mean "engine-speed" related rather than "vehicle-speed" related)?

When you elevated the rear wheels, did you raise the car from the center of the rear axle (to maintain ride height) or raise the chassis/body? Just curious.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

NTX5467

My guess: It is an outer wheel bearing that was either bad to start with, not packed properly or over/under tightened when installed. Make sure to tighten, then back off slightly upon install. I have had this happen to me and it turned out what I thought was a good bearing, was not. Outer shaft bearings and carrier bearings will click under torque due to improper alignment in housing, dry or missing surface sections or due to built-in chase way or bearing surface irregularities. Since the noise is apparent only under torque, then this is where I would look. Hope this helps:cool:

Guest garys64wildcat

David, I will check the axle bearings.

Adam, I have the road wheels no wire, but have had the wire caps and I agree about them.

Thanks for the help, Gary

Guest garys64wildcat

Thanks Adam

I removed the center caps and It is still there:confused: I will keep trying. Would the constant velocity joint or rear end pinion gears, or pinion bearing, have those symptoms? I dont have posi. The exhaust is tight. new track bar bushings. It goes away about 25mph and runs smooth over that speed. and low speed when I coast:(

I guess I have try to keep trying

Gary

What is the possibility that the pinion shaft bearing is dry on the outside? I am not an expert in this area and I assume this bearing is lubricated by splash inside the rear end. But I wonder if the outside area is sufficiently lubricated in this process? Does it pay to try and drop a few drops of 30 wt engine oil on the top of this bearing?

Guest garys64wildcat

John, I hate to think of that. But it is the original rear end from 64. no leaks. and full of oil. It makes the click at even intervals. The faster I drive, the faster the clicks. but only under power in gear (t400) about the time of wheels rolling around once for each click.

Thanks for the input. Gary

What is the possibility that the pinion shaft bearing is dry on the outside? I am not an expert in this area and I assume this bearing is lubricated by splash inside the rear end. But I wonder if the outside area is sufficiently lubricated in this process? Does it pay to try and drop a few drops of 30 wt engine oil on the top of this bearing?

One click per tire rotation leads me to suspect wheel bearings again, but you said you replaced the fronts. Did you also replace the rears? Also have you jacked the car via the pumpkin and rotated the tires by hand , listening for a faint click, in order to try and isolate which wheel may be causing the problem? If you can get a helper to rotate the wheels you may find it easier to isolate the noise by using a mechanics stethoscope, which you should be able to get at a local auto parts store for a very reasonable price ( I thinkI paid $3.00 for mine).

You may also consider that this may be caused by a cracked brake shoe scrubbing on a drum.

Guest garys64wildcat

Thanks John, I did put in new rear wheel bearing in the rear but you cant tell about parts mfgs. they could be defective and also the brake shoes. I checked them last year when I changed the bearing and they seemed good, lots of lining left. I hope it will be something easy as that. Its something that bugs me to no end. So Im kind tired of this problem so it needs to end w/o a large repair cost:mad: I also may put new shoes on and springs etc. I like the stethocope idea to. We have the Buick open 6/18 and I want it done before that. Gary

One click per tire rotation leads me to suspect wheel bearings again, but you said you replaced the fronts. Did you also replace the rears? Also have you jacked the car via the pumpkin and rotated the tires by hand , listening for a faint click, in order to try and isolate which wheel may be causing the problem? If you can get a helper to rotate the wheels you may find it easier to isolate the noise by using a mechanics stethoscope, which you should be able to get at a local auto parts store for a very reasonable price ( I thinkI paid $3.00 for mine).

You may also consider that this may be caused by a cracked brake shoe scrubbing on a drum.

Guest garys64wildcat

Update, I pulled the drums and my rh new bearing was no good, probably chinese, also replaced rear shoes and cly. since the wheel cly was leaking. Everything on correct. Test drive noise still there.:(

Brian, I Am about ready to sell the car, but I have owned it for 32 years and I would miss it. I sure we all have had something that would drive you drinking:D. I am bored with this also

I would like to find a shop that you could put the car with rollers to put in gear with body weight on it. I lifted rear wheels off the ground and put in gear. No clicks smooth as ever.???

Im thinking CV joint or pionon bearing

Thanks to All for input. I need all the help I can get:D

I suspect the pinion bearing would be clicking three times as fast as what you've reported. CV joint too. My esteemed brother's take on my "click" is to drive it till something breaks. Then I'll know what it was. That was three years ago.

Guest garys64wildcat

Good Idea, I have my tow insurance paid up. Then I will know and saves me alot of wondering what and spending any more $$.

Thanks John

I suspect the pinion bearing would be clicking three times as fast as what you've reported. CV joint too. My esteemed brother's take on my "click" is to drive it till something breaks. Then I'll know what it was. That was three years ago.

Good Idea, I have my tow insurance paid up. Then I will know and saves me alot of wondering what and spending any more $$.

Thanks John

I'll tell my brother I passed his advice on. He'll be happy when we're both sitting on the side of the road somewhere cause his 442 doesn't click...yet......LOL

A long time ago I had a clicking noise in a LeSabre I owned. It turned out to be a dry distributor cam and the points were noisy. A finger tip with a little grease cured it. I have never had it happen again or heard of it, but it is something to check.

There were no Constant Velocity Joints in the the 1964 Buicks just good ol U joints which are a completely different design and use.

Hope this helps.

David,

I believe they did have CV joints. I know they had a two piece driveshaft. Wouldn't that mean they had a CVJ?

Guest garys64wildcat

I went to my 64 Buick shop manuals. page 6-29 and it is called a (cv) constant velocity joint. Just for the record I think it may have something to do with the click. I dont move and dont feel bad, but who knows???.

I have had some of the dumbest things cause trouble in a car. I bought a nice 56 Olds Super 88 coupe that wouldnt run for $50. the owner got tired of trying to start. It was the tailpipe he back up and completely bent it shut over the rear end hump. I cut it off and she fired right up.

Thanks Gary

A long time ago I had a clicking noise in a LeSabre I owned. It turned out to be a dry distributor cam and the points were noisy. A finger tip with a little grease cured it. I have never had it happen again or heard of it, but it is something to check.

I never would have thought of this one Bernie. Thanks! I'll be checking the 56 just in case.

Guest garys64wildcat

I just want to sat THANK YOU to all who tried to give me help. I have to rely on friends like you to help a old car lover get through something that I cant figure out.:)

I hope I can help one of you in return.. Now I have to get ready to go to our Puget Sound Chapter of BCA car show and its Raining:mad: yuk

Gary