Heater shutoff

bb1970

Can I shutoff waterflow to the heater core without overheating issues in my '65. I get alot of heat coming through the console. I assume a heater door is open and letting it in. I rarely drive in the cool weather. Rather than struggle under the dash. Can i just put a shut off on a heater hose and cut flow. But still leave the hoses intact so I can open it if needed.

When Chris Wolfe drove his '63 from Denver to Eureka Springs in '05, he stopped overnight in KC and was complaining that he was getting cold from the a/c and at the same time he was getting heat from the heater. We installed a manual heat control valve in the hose and he drove it to Eureka Springs then home to Denver. I think it's still on his car.

We got it over the counter at O'Reilly's. It was less than $10.

<Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Might also be getting engine compartment heat through the steering column. I just thought I'd throw that out there, cause I know I get heat coming from my column and I plan to do that gasket fix to plug it up.

I have put piece of foam around the shaft in the column. It helped ALOT. I May have some heat coming through the firewall. But the heat coms from the console bad.

Check to see if the water shut off valve is operational. If it's the least bit open, you'll get hot water circulatiing through the heater core. Hot air will come into the cockpit even without a fan. On other temporary thing you can do is to remove both heater hoses from the water pump, plug them, then take another shorter piece of heater hose and make a loop from the water pump outlet right back to the water pump inlet. That's the way my '64 is set up right now.

Ed