Tire advice..

Guest als 66

Guest als 66

I'm in a bind.. My 66 Skylark has P235/60R14's in the rear and P225/70R14's in the front.. I am getting different advice from different tire company's. Some say to put the 235's all around while other company's are telling me it's weird that there's taller tires in the front than the rear. And that the P235/60's must look like roller skate heels.. Unfortanely the TA Radials are on backorder untill who know's when so those are out..

My question is that I like the 60's wideness but will they fit on the front so all 4 would match. Or, should I keep it the way it is and purchase 2 different size tires. Or, should I get the P225/70's all around.

I'm soooo confused... This car thing isn't as easy as it looks....

AL

Guest Kingoftheroad
I'm in a bind.. My 66 Skylark has P235/60R14's in the rear and P225/70R14's in the front.. I am getting different advice from different tire company's. Some say to put the 235's all around while other company's are telling me it's weird that there's taller tires in the front than the rear. And that the P235/60's must look like roller skate heels.. Unfortanely the TA Radials are on backorder untill who know's when so those are out..

My question is that I like the 60's wideness but will they fit on the front so all 4 would match. Or, should I keep it the way it is and purchase 2 different size tires. Or, should I get the P225/70's all around.

I'm soooo confused... This car thing isn't as easy as it looks....

AL

The tire shop should be able to tell you if 60s in your chosen size will fit your car. If not, the shop may have a 60 series tire in a size that will fit. And if all else fails, you may have to go with 70s all round. Depends on the look your trying to achieve.

Depending on the car, the old hot rod look (70s in front, big 60s in the rear) still looks cool on some cars. The thing is, you just can't rotate tires like most suggest. As long as you carry a spare that will fit in all four corners, you'll be safe in case of a road side flat.

The stock tires on your car would likely have been F70-14s, which had a 26.2" diameter and an 8.3" section width. The 225/70-14s have a 26.4" diameter and an 8.8" section width, so these are about the closest modern tires you can buy. The 235/60-14s are nearly 1.5" LESS in diameter (25.1"), although they have about an extra half inch of section width. I also think the car must look goofy with the smaller diameter tires in the back.

Even the BFG 245/60-14s are only 25.5" in diameter, still too small in my book. I'd go with the 225/70-14 tires unless you want to go to 15" rims.

Guest Siegfried

ALS 66. Go with the 70tys series. The 60tys will lower the height of your Skylark, and they may possibly cause damage because they are smaller and will roll faster than the taller 70tys will. Also, the 60ty series being smaller and rolling faster will cause your speedometer to not show the Skylarks correct speed. This happens to the Honda's, etc that the new generation of hot rodders modify by switching to low profile tires for the new 'Hot Look'.

Here is another tidbit. I have a '97 Jetta 3. Jetta 3's use 195/60x14's. Meanwhile my '84 Rabbit has 175/70X13's. The 60ty series 14's are only slighty taller then the 13's!. They are wider then the 13's.

Guest Skyking

They recommend 195/75 R14 (V6) or 205/75 R14 (Gran Sport) as being the best or most correct modern size tire for your car.

Al, I used 205/75R14 on my 66 Skylark. They fit and looked perfect.

They recommend 195/75 R14 (V6) or 205/75 R14 (Gran Sport) as being the best or most correct modern size tire for your car.

205/75-14 tires are 26.11 inches in diameter. 225/70-14s are 26.40. The difference is negligible as far as speedo reading or anything else. Your call as to whether you want wider tires or the stock width. The 225/70s are about 3/4" wider than the 205/75s.

Guest als 66

I just wanted to say thank you fall all your advice on the tire sizes. It was a huge help on making my decision. Which will be the 225/70R14's.

Als 66