Hot Rods That Make Packard Folks Cry

1935Packard

I propose a new thread, Hot Rods That Make Packard Folks Cry, in which we post links to Packards that were turned into particularly bad hot rods.

I'll start off with this eBay listing. Can anyone beat it?

No picture but I used to regularly see a '37 120 sedan near my town that had been painted two tone black and white - everything was painted, they went over the bumpers, hood ornament, etc. further steps included crappy old chrome wheels and I am sure a tired small block chevy. I used to think what a shame, all they did was make restoring what may have been an ok start completely not worth doing. Ensuring the car will be passed around in its current state and at best end up as a parts car for a restorer someday.

Have not seen it in a while but another poster had done something simillar, I think he called his link "Lost Classics" -

Any update on that V-12, 1935?

That is spectacularly hideous. I have some other examples of misguided efforts in my files, but the owners are still very much alive and proud of their ex-Packards so I will refrain from posting. Also, they are just too depressing. :(

Especially since it's a '35, not a '34. The interior looks like the inside of a coffin. On the other hand, it hasn't been chopped or sub-framed, so it could potentially be saved and returned to stock without much more work than a regular restoration would require.

Does anyone have any photos of that late-30s 110/120 sedan that was painted red, white, and blue or that horrendous bright yellow limousine?

Picture the yellow sedan, same year, except a brush paint job, and two pelican's, one on the radiator and one in front of the cowl vent, and you got the car that I have seen driving around New Mexico. Like the evil gods of folklore, if I looked at it long enough to take a picture, I would turn to stone, or go mad! (If I took a picture of it via a mirror, would I still endanger myself?)

Ahhh...the "Medusa" Packard!

The way it looks, someone had a sale on red paint...:eek:...B

One very good way to stand out at a rod meet is to paint your car ANYTHING BUT red. I know, there are lots of nice red hotrods out there, the point is, there are enough now, and try something different.

But not a shocking pink and blue 3-holer Packard. Please.

They should have paint this one RED.

Don

Nice body work, it looks really smooth. It a different look with all the chrome "blacked out", or "pinked out" as some would say LOL. Not bad for hot rod, it an eye turner for sure.

Edited by packards42 (see edit history)

I like it it reminds me of Cobra the movie, Stallion

Thanks for the feedback, packards42. I once posted a link to this car on the forum and it was roundly booed, although I do appreciate it. BTW, is the movie "Cobra" or is that the car and the movie is "Stallion?" Sounds interesting.

Here are a couple more pics of the car. I think the interior looks quite nicely done, and the roof treatment in the rear looks quite good to me too. Hard to tell the workmanship, though, without seeing the car up close. It's been on the Carnut.com site forever, and I have wondered about it's current whereabouts.

I guess this one doesn't make me cry (as long as they didn't start with a nice retsorable Executive)... others may differ.

post-32240-143138565721_thumb.jpg

post-32240-143138565723_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Guest psnorling
I propose a new thread, Hot Rods That Make Packard Folks Cry, in which we post links to Packards that were turned into particularly bad hot rods.

I'll start off with this eBay listing. Can anyone beat it?

COMPUTER ILLITERATE NEWBY STREET RODDER WILL SELL HIS '40 PACKARD 120 COUPE TO ANYBODY WHO WANTS TO SAVE IT FROM THE KNIFE. :eek:

Or you could try the "buy sell" sections (both general and Packard specific) of this forum including the appropriate information and pics if possible, assuming you are serious about selling. If you are, this is a great way to reach Packard people for the price of free... :)

Guest psnorling

Street rodder here chimming in on larger classic cars being built as rods. While I have no problem with it I think they should be tastefully done. The builder should stay away from bright primary colors. Leave that for the smaller Ford coupes and roadsters. Also truely rare, good condition cars, should be left to the restorers.

It's good to see the classic shapes out there being driven,whether they are V-8, automatic a/c or straight eight, three speed cars.:rolleyes:

If anyone has been following A.J.'s post on pre war Classic Mercedes in the CCCA section, he references a possible 500/540K where the owner has been unable to source the correct engine, and is apparently powering it with a late model MB engine. If that is the case, it is likely the world's most valuable street rod, wouldn't you think?

Bleach, I am not sure we will see that....thing at any PAC events anytime soon! ;)

I saw this one on Ebay about a year ago and couldn't believe my eyes before I went blind.:eek:

Looked all over the Internet and found a picture on PackardInfo.com so here it is.

post-45407-143138732512_thumb.jpg

Guest bkazmer

this is not it, but there is a recreation of the Clipper convertible (ex-Errol Flynn) and the original I believe was a peach color. It was done by someone who had owned the now-destroyed original

this is not it, but there is a recreation of the Clipper convertible (ex-Errol Flynn) and the original I believe was a peach color. It was done by someone who had owned the now-destroyed original

This one? I always thought it looked 'flesh' colored... wouldn't have been my choice of color but it certainly shows that the Clipper would have made a marvelous convertible.

post-54089-143138733424_thumb.jpg

Guest bkazmer

there was an article about the car (both original and recreated) in the Cormorant a bit ago. Personally, I can see why the original got repainted.

There apparently are very few photographs of the original, and I don't know just when it was destroyed or lost. Here's a well-known photo of it, don't know just when in it's lifetime the picture was taken. Doesn't look like a light color, at least at that point in it's life.

I like that. Looks like a Darrin windshield.

Guest bkazmer

The Napa cars are hacked and whacked sedans. I believe that besides the Flynn convertible coupe there were a couple of legit convertible sedans made (Derham?) and that's all the convertible 41 -47 Clippers.

Yes, there were two Custom Super Clipper LWB convertible sedans, built by Derham, for the President of Lebanon and the Shiek of Kuwait. The latter was ordered and paid for by one of the major oil companies as a gift. The original Derham files on these cars make very interesting reading. They were not completely identical, the purchaser of the 2nd one requring that it be longer than the first, hence bumper extensions which are visible.

post-49751-143138734524_thumb.jpg

post-49751-143138734539_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)