Warped steering... Why??

Guest als 66

Guest als 66

I just received my 66 skylark back from repair and the steering is warped. I think they might have had to remove it when repairing the manifold. I didn't feel it on the drive home but now Holy Cow... When I turn the steering wheel it raises and lowers like a 1/2 an inch. The rod in the engine conpartment looks straight. I'm wondering if there is an adjustment where it connects to the steering gear box..

I'm going to bring it back but I wanted to get an idea of what could be causing this before I do.

Anyone have any clues?

Thanks,

Al

Is the column actually loose? Maybe the bracket under the dash that holds the column tight to it is loose. I don't know if they would have had to loosen it for any reason but who knows. That's where I would start. Sounds dumb but who knows.

I would agree with this. Or maybe they loosened the steering column at the firewall to maneuver the manifold off.

are the steering wheel spokes cracked?

maybe one of the mechanics was named Bubba and maybe he leaned on your steering wheel just a little too much and now it is bent

try jacking up the front wheels and turning the steering wheel inside the car to see if indeed the steering wheel is bent