1964 Buick Wildcat Transmission ?'s

Guest InkedGhandi

Guest InkedGhandi

I know there is probably a post about this already but I have yet to find it. And I need answers quicker than I can find the post. So onto the problem. For some reason why I stop at for any reason and then I try to accelerate again the car revs and then jumps into first gear. Also when i get up to speed, about 50-70, the car seems to not want to stay in the right gear. It is really aggravating. I have checked the fluid and I do everyday before I leave for work and everyday when I go home because I have a small leak. I can't seem to find anything online that could give me answers or parts so I can replace things on my own. Please don't tell me I need a new tranny. If so then sadly enough my wife will divorce me because of all the other bad car decisions I have ever made and the debt I have accumulated over the past 6 months due to them. Even a quick easy fix would be nice, at least long enough for it to last so I can drop it off at a shop when I deploy. Any help would highly appreciated.

Guest garys64wildcat

My 64 Wildcat trans acted the same and on mine it was the modulator that screws into the side of the trans. It controls shifting etc. They arent to expensive either. My car shifted perfect after a new one was put on. And you dont have to pull the trans. Hope it that

Guest InkedGhandi

Alright sweet. Where do I find said modulator. This is only my second classic so I am still a learning man. Also its nice to know someone else owns a car just like mine. I never even heard of a wildcat until I was looking on craigslist for a classic and it jumped out at me as the car I must absolutely own.

Guest garys64wildcat

You have a Super Turbine 400 Trans and the part is actually called the vacuum modulator. It gives the proper vacuum so the trans shifts smooth. Most parts or trans/auto repair shops have these. Hopefully this will cure your problem. Have a shop check it out. As long as fluid isnt burnt smelling. I would let a shop do it and change trans filter at the same time. Its easy to change the mod. when the fluid is out and they could stick it in easy.

Guest InkedGhandi

Ok. It seems like I have to order it offline because no one around here seems to carry anything for a car older than a 1990

Guest garys64wildcat

If you do it yourself, have a big pan because the fluid will all come out. There is no drain plug, to change fluid or filter you must drop the pan. Hopefully that will cure your problem.

I am way too cheap and paranoid about shops messing with my stuff. I like to do it myself. Allows me to learn and pass on my knowledge to the next guy who asks the same question. So this is what I found. Let me know if it is right.

Buy B & M GM Vacuum Modulator 20234 at Advance Auto Parts

Guest InkedGhandi

Which brings up another question. What are both the pans that are underneath? The is a round-ish one closer to the front and then a more square one maybe a foot behind that one. The round-ish one is missing its two back bolts so it just hangs there but no one has an answer as to which one it is.

Guest garys64wildcat

The trans pan is kind of square with a notch, forward is the flywheel cover which is just behind the engine oil pan. If that is missing a bolt replace it. but it wont leak fluid but is a dust cover. if trans is missing bolts that may be your leak.

Which brings up another question. What are both the pans that are underneath? The is a round-ish one closer to the front and then a more square one maybe a foot behind that one. The round-ish one is missing its two back bolts so it just hangs there but no one has an answer as to which one it is.

Guest InkedGhandi

Ok thank you. I am glad someone knows something about these things. I haven't checked the trans pan. I will do that as soon as i get off. How hard is it to change a transmission filter? I have never even heard of one before.

Guest garys64wildcat

One thing you have to do is keep it clean. You may be able to wash the filter with solvent. Some older cars had an all metal unit that you could reuse. Most parts companys dont know the old cars. Try CARS Inc. or RockIsland as they have only Buick parts and can provide the correct parts. it took NAPA 3 times to find the right parts for my car. The 64 trans is 64 only and others are different.

Also a factory shop manual is a Bible to help you do anything. Check ebay etc. I still say to have a shop check it out. I cant promise its the right fix, but it acted like my car. So use your own judgement and good luck. I have always had a shop take care of my transmission because these are a very complex unit and easy to mess up something w/o knowing what your doing.

Ok thank you. I am glad someone knows something about these things. I haven't checked the trans pan. I will do that as soon as i get off. How hard is it to change a transmission filter? I have never even heard of one before.

Changing transmission fluid is also quite messy! Even if you try to be careful, messes are easily made with splashing fluid and such. Nicer to do it on an above-ground lift, too, rather than laying on your back . . . which can also lead to some trans fluid running down your arm as you get the last few bolts out of the pan.

As mentioned, the 1964 ST400 transmission has a unique AND different filter kit than later models. That's why there can be some difficulty as some catalogs have combined model year listings with later ones as time has progresed. I use RockAuto Auto Parts for my research on older vehicles AND to get part numbers which I might procure or have ordered locally.

The earlier "filters" were really "screens", unlike the later fabric-style filters which look like filters. Screens can be washed in parts washer solvent and re-used. Filters can be washed too, but they probably will not come completely clean.

When the vacuum modulator is removed from the passenger side of the transmission, transmission fluid WILL escape. Draining the main oil pan first can prevent the bulk of this!

As for replacement fluid, you can either find some Type A fluid from some sources (which is what the orig spec for the vehicle was) or the more recent Dexron III transmission fluid (now more commonly sold as "Multi-Make" and GM automatic transmission fluid--read the label on the bottle to make sure it's not for some foreign-brand vehicle). According to GM, the Dexron family of auto trans fluids replaced the earlier Type A fluids, starting in 1968 or so.

I have done the auto trans fluid changes with the car SAFELY on jackstands, but the money spent on getting a trusted mechanic or repair shop to do the job is well-spent to me. I like to save money too, but there's a limit to where it's better for "them" to do it. Just stay away from any automatic transmission flush deals!!!!

As you put the transmission pan gasket on the pan, this can be another "difficult" situation. It can take three hands to put the gasket on the oil pan AND keep it there as you try to get the first bolts started back into the trans case. Some brands of gaskets have a few of the bolt holes a little smaller to better hold the bolts in place as you place the pan against the case. Again, doing this on a lift is better than under-car on your back, to ensure that you don't cross-thread any of the bolts. Not over-tightening the pan bolts is another issue, too! Just "wrist snug", basically . . . otherwise you can deform the pan's sealing surface AND pinch the gasket and have a leak.

This whole deal can easily take an hour or more if you do it "on your back". Not to mention clean-up AND properly disposing of the drained transmission fluid! But if you've got an easy afternoon to kill on a weekend, it can be a quite rewarding experience to do the fluid change! Just remember that if you screw something up, it's yours to pay for fixing (time and money). If the shop does similar, THEY fix it.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Guest InkedGhandi

I really appreciate your input. I am used to getting vehicle fluid running down my arms whether it is fuel or oil. And I was just going to jack up the front end and take off the pan. I guess I should find a gasket also. Completely forgot about that. Also thank you for letting me know exactly what kind of ATF I need. But one question I had is that recently there seems to be so much pressure that the transmission dipstick gets blown off and it spews all in the hood. What could be the reason for that?