1928 Pontiac Sedan

Hello.

I recently joined the Antique Automobile Club of America website, as part of my efforts to locate a car that my grandfather used to own. The 28 I'm looking for was owned by my grandfather for about 50 years, and was sold around 1996 by an auction company based in Rantoul, IL. (The auction house unfortunately doesn't have a record of it anymore). From what I can remember, it was sort of a olive green color, with wood spoke wheels. It was not a convertible. I've got the numbers for it somewhere, along with some original documentation (registration, etc) from when he bought the car.

I'm hoping to locate the car so that I can know where it is, and even if it's not for sale at the moment I can give my contact information to the owner so that if/when it does become available I might be able to purchase it to get it "back in the family".

Thanks!

Chris Higgins

unirvt @ gmail.com

Edited by Higgs (see edit history)

Hello Higgs,

I appreciate the sentiment you show towards reowning a piece of your family history , I hope you are able to locate the car your grandfather owned. If you do and are in need of parts I have two probably identical sedans like the one you described , they were two tone green, both are 2 door sedans, both 1928, wood spoke wheels,.... if you have an interest let me know.

JO BO

Guest brockhoff@stasyx.com

I also have a 1928 pontiac and I wondered what types of parts you might be willing to sell for these cars?

Hello Higgs,

I appreciate the sentiment you show towards reowning a piece of your family history , I hope you are able to locate the car your grandfather owned. If you do and are in need of parts I have two probably identical sedans like the one you described , they were two tone green, both are 2 door sedans, both 1928, wood spoke wheels,.... if you have an interest let me know.

JO BO

Thank you. The car was in reasonably good condition I believe when it was sold. It was garage stored the whole time he had it, and driven only occasionally so whatever it may need is likely due to lack of use as much as anything. Hopefully the current owner has taken good care of it as well!

hi chris higgins, you may want to visit the 2011 poci convention in bowling green, ky this year starting on july 5th, also in september/2011 in quincy,il. will the poci's early times chapter's annual "flathead reunion", i plan on being at the flathead reunion myself. i can find out how many 28's are still in the club. you can email me if you'd like at, charlessdv8@yahoo.com i'd be glad to help you in anyway i can, i'd like to find out if my grandfather's 47 pontiac is still around. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

hi chris higgins, you may want to visit the 2011 poci convention in bowling green, ky this year starting on july 5th, also in september/2011 in quincy,il. will the poci's early times chapter's annual "flathead reunion", i plan on being at the flathead reunion myself. i can find out how many 28's are still in the club. you can email me if you'd like at, charlessdv8@yahoo.com i'd be glad to help you in anyway i can, i'd like to find out if my grandfather's 47 pontiac is still around. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Thank you, Charles. I will be in touch!

• 4 months later...

Dear Mr. Higgins,

Good luck finding your grandfather's 1928. Auction companies, in my experience, don't have any particular motivation to keep records of purchasers after the sale. It might not even be in their interest, just as some state DMV records cannot be researched after 10 years. I think some states are worried lawsuits can arise by divulging personal information. I've always wondered where my grandpa's '21-'22 Leland Lincoln went after the big Towe Auto Museum auction about 1992. You literally have to be at the auction and write everyone's name down to know who bought it. Even Uncle Sam doesn't know what vehicles go where!

----Jeff

Someone locally has a complete '28 Pontiac for sale if you want to buy that one!

Dear Mr. Higgins,

Good luck finding your grandfather's 1928. Auction companies, in my experience, don't have any particular motivation to keep records of purchasers after the sale. It might not even be in their interest, just as some state DMV records cannot be researched after 10 years. I think some states are worried lawsuits can arise by divulging personal information. I've always wondered where my grandpa's '21-'22 Leland Lincoln went after the big Towe Auto Museum auction about 1992. You literally have to be at the auction and write everyone's name down to know who bought it. Even Uncle Sam doesn't know what vehicles go where!

----Jeff

Someone locally has a complete '28 Pontiac for sale if you want to buy that one!

Thanks Jeff.

Could you give me info on the 28 that is for sale near you? If I can get the body and engine numbers I could see if it by some miracle is a match to my grandfather's car.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

While this forum reaches quite a few general-interest

antique-car fans, how about putting a want ad in the

magazine of the Pontiac-Oakland Club International?

(If you join, they likely have discounted rates for members.)

That magazine will reach many more people--and those

specifically knowledgeable about Pontiacs.

And keep the ad running for a year, to ensure good coverage.  

If they have a computer forum, that might be a good adjunct;

but the magazine would be seen by many more people.

If the P. O. C. I. has a technical adviser for 1928 Pontiacs,

telephone him as well, and inquire.  (Don't e-mail, because

talking to someone is more personal.)  He likely knows

many of the 1928 cars that have been in the club.

Maybe he knows the car or remembers seeing it at some show.

Also, the A.A.C.A. itself has a non-geographic region

dedicated to Pontiac and Oakland cars.  It's called the

Oakland-Pontiac Worldwide Region.  Go to the A.A.C.A.

home page www.aaca.org;  click on "Regions and Chapters";

click on "List of Regions and Chapters";  and you will see

the non-geographic regions all the way at the bottom of the list.

Though that region is likely smaller than P. O. C. I.,

the same want ad in the region's newsletter might help also.

Persistence will pay off.  May you find your family's old car!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Do you have a VIN or a serial number or a copy of an old title or registration with a number on it? 1928 Pontiacs arent exactly ordinary but I bet it is still like finding a needle in a hay stack if you dont have any way of knowing which one was his. You have been looking for seven years do you have any new information that would help? And alot can happen to a car in 20 years. It might not be around anymore or at least not in the condition you remember.

What is your plan if you find it? Buy it? Or just to see if its still out there? Alot of owners dont want to be bothered (I had one very pesky guy who bought one of my old cars and he just wouldnt leave me alone until I had to get mean with him) and many others dont want everyone to know what they have so they arent talking. If your looking for a 1928 Pontiac to own like his I bet you can find one but if you must have that exact one I bet you will be disappointed. Maybe just find one and enjoy it in his honor?

40 minutes ago, billorn said:

Do you have a VIN or a serial number or a copy of an old title or registration with a number on it? 1928 Pontiacs arent exactly ordinary but I bet it is still like finding a needle in a hay stack if you dont have any way of knowing which one was his. You have been looking for seven years do you have any new information that would help? And alot can happen to a car in 20 years. It might not be around anymore or at least not in the condition you remember.

What is your plan if you find it? Buy it? Or just to see if its still out there? Alot of owners dont want to be bothered (I had one very pesky guy who bought one of my old cars and he just wouldnt leave me alone until I had to get mean with him) and many others dont want everyone to know what they have so they arent talking. If your looking for a 1928 Pontiac to own like his I bet you can find one but if you must have that exact one I bet you will be disappointed. Maybe just find one and enjoy it in his honor?

Yes, I have a frame and engine number to cross reference, as it was listed on an old registration document that we have from when my grandfather owned the  car.  Yes, very much like finding a needle in a hay stack...  I've "checked out" a few cars over the years, and none have them have proven to have been his.  Unfortunately I do not have new information.   The car was in quite good shape when he owned it.  It had been restored during the time that he had it, and carefully stored a since then.  I only remember the car being out in the daylight a few times during my childhood, and one of those is when I rode with him in it as we drove in a parade in Paxton, IL.  That was probably 30+ years go now.

If it is located, I would be happy to discuss the possibility of purchase from the owner if there is mutual interest in that, but I understand that it may not be the case.  In which case, I would respectfully ask to be contacted if the car is for sale at any point in the future.  Many years ago I saw a rare car that I was interested in, and I simply put a note on it asking to be contacted if it was ever for sale.  A few years later I was!  I ultimately lost out in a "name your best price" battle as that model of car was surging in popularity at the time, but the point is that I respect another's privacy, at least as much as I value my own, if not more.    I have considered purchasing another one similar to his, but at this point I'm trying to find his car.  I don't advertise my belongings either, and am protective of my vehicles as well, so can understand that sentiment also...

Cheers,

Chris 

Higgs, I hope you find your grandfather's car. I have owned many cars overs the years, especially vintage Corvettes, and every once in a while I get contacted by a new owner. I'm always happy to help fill in the blanks for anyone and curious to know the history of the car since it left my ownership. I have also been on the search for a family car, without out much success, so I know how frustrating this can be.

Good luck, Greg

• 4 months later...
On 10/24/2018 at 7:14 PM, GregLaR said:

Higgs, I hope you find your grandfather's car. I have owned many cars overs the years, especially vintage Corvettes, and every once in a while I get contacted by a new owner. I'm always happy to help fill in the blanks for anyone and curious to know the history of the car since it left my ownership. I have also been on the search for a family car, without out much success, so I know how frustrating this can be.

Good luck, Greg

Thank you, Greg.  I did recently come across a picture of the car, so can now confirm that it was a 4 door Landau sedan.  Previously, I wasn't sure if it was a Landau or not!

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 5/27/2011 at 9:18 AM, Guest brockhoff@stasyx.com said:

I also have a 1928 pontiac and I wondered what types of parts you might be willing to sell for these cars?

I have just joined the online version of the AACA forum and have seen your interest in 1928 parts.

I am a former owner of a 1928 Pontiac 2 dr sedan Model 8240. I restored my Pontiac back in the 1980's and sold the car to a guy in Indiana who has since sold it to someone in Michigan. I still have a pile of used parts for the car stored under my workbench including transmissions, cylinder heads, shocks, wood spoke wheels, flywheel/clutch assemblies, 2 engine blocks. Refer to my current Facebook marketplace ads > Ditchburn Antique & Classic Auto Parts | Facebook

DitchburnAuto@eastlink.ca

20210927_162314.jpg