Got a new "driver"

I came across this '65 Corvair Monza 110. Pretty straight except the front got tagged slightly. Not sure if it runs just yet. It did 7 years ago when they parked it! :) They wanted $575 but I offered them $300 in the rain. He wanted me to go $450 and I walked away. He met me at my truck with title in hand and I traded the Ben Franklin triplets for title and keys.

Pretty clean and complete. Comes with quite a few parts too. All glass is good, engine looks very clean and promising. Cancer in rockers and lower front fenders. Needs the front center trim piece (w/trunk lock), a radio and hubcaps so far.

post-31565-143138551577_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138551579_thumb.jpg

post-31565-14313855158_thumb.jpg

Guest Kingoftheroad

Congrats on the new toy !!

One of my old friends had a couple of Corvairs he used as daily drivers. He drove like a crazy man in those Corvairs, scared the crap out of me several times...lol. He had a 65 4 door & a 66 2 door coupe, I prefer the 65 - 69 body style better.

She's an automatic so I won't need to create hand controls. :)

Corvairs just don't swim well

Oh but at least one corvair can swim! Corphibian (1961) prototype. It was build by Hulten-Holm & Co on the bases of the Corvair 95 Load side truck with a 6 cylinder engine. The first owner Richard Hulten had it for 30 years and drove it 126 miles. It is original, except one repaint.

post-31565-143138551948_thumb.jpg

post-31565-14313855195_thumb.jpg

Guest marlin65

Congrats on your new toy,you'll love it. I just purchased a 62 Corvan also will be a driver.Take your time,due your homework,don't rush into anyting and get a Clark's Corvair catalog.No matter where you go you'll draw attention.Ed

How do you get to the engine when you retract the top? Excellent buy!

Through the back seat of course! ;) ;)

Congrats on your new toy,you'll love it. I just purchased a 62 Corvan also will be a driver.Take your time,due your homework,don't rush into anyting and get a Clark's Corvair catalog.No matter where you go you'll draw attention.Ed

Thanks Ed. I see a rampside everyday in town for sale, if I had more space and $$, I'd buy it and make a Corphibian for myself. With the cars I have, this will be the most "normal" old car I have. I'm used to spending an hour getting fuel or extra time at the store. I love how old cars just make people friendlier. I have met a couple girlfriends due to my Amphicars. I hoped it was my charm and exceedingly good looks :rolleyes: :eek:, but probably not. :D

I really like my Corvair! Might want to check out corvaircenter.com...good site for these cars. Beware, however, as 95% of those guys will tell you to part it out because it has too much rust. I'm a glutton for punishment, however, and like to fix stuff as a hobby. Unfortunately, I'm more underwater in mine than a sunken Amphicar! (Or Corvair) Oh well...

Something is out of order? What is confusing for this corvair? Is amphicar OK?

Norm,

I'm not sure what you're asking here. :confused: By "out of order" do you mean broken or? What confusion do you mean? My Amphicar is fine. Please clarify for me and I'd be happy to answer your questions. :)

John, I think Norm is asking what is the Corvair confused about. I will state the obvious for your signature and say it must be the American car that thinks it is a VW/Porsche due to engine placement (and air coolded? sorry, don't know much about these but I think they are?).

Anyway, looks well worth saving; good thing it ended up in the hands of a knowledgeable person to do just that.

Guest Foggy norm

John, I was making lite of the fact your car's are mostly confused. Steve found a good answer. If your were OK, was about getting a new toy that wasn't confused, how'd you let that happen!

John, I think Norm is asking what is the Corvair confused about. I will state the obvious for your signature and say it must be the American car that thinks it is a VW/Porsche due to engine placement (and air coolded? sorry, don't know much about these but I think they are?).

Yup, aircooled! A lot more powerful than your garden variety VW! But probably a reasonable match for a similar-era Porsche!

Anyway, looks well worth saving; good thing it ended up in the hands of a knowledgeable person to do just that.

Ditto that. Good luck with it John!

Guest Kingoftheroad

Luckily they put a spare in the trunk.

LOL, how fitting, an old joke for an old car...:)