Rare Finds on Auction Sites

1957Birdman

I get a kick out of supposedly "rare" cars that are available on Ebay. For example the "box stock" '57 T-Bird painted Thunderbird Bronze with limited options. One of 8 '57 T-Birds for sale at the same time on Ebay.

Another example is the car with the "rare" factory airconditioning. The only problem is that A/C was never offered as an option on the little birds.

Lastly, recently I saw a car on Ebay that was supposed to be a lower mileage original bought from the original owner. It also had the extremely rare 120 mph speedometer. It is so rare that none came with it from the factory. That one little detail made what else was said about the car to be more than a little suspect.

Oh well, let the buyer beware. Also, I guess rarity, as is beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

A lot of "new" collectors or sellers consider a car "rare" or a "classic" just because they have not seen one for a while or have never seen one. In many cases the car in question has had things changed on it and they have absolutely NO IDEA what the car originally came with. That's why we have books and this forum to straighten us out.

• 1 month later...
Guest zoegrant

I just saw last week a 56 bird on Ebay stating that it was equipped with the "RARE CONTINENTAL KIT"....:rolleyes:

David,

You're right about the "Bird Nest". It was available, aftermarket, on the '57 only and had seats that matched the interior of the car. I think it would be fair to say that the rear seats would have been a kids or very small adult proposition only. Also, there was no room for the spare tire. The owner would unbolt the car's trunklid and attach the Bird Nest in its place. It seems like a lot of work for something of limited usefulness and also not particularly safe at that. I've seen one in person and although well done, it didn't leave me with the desire to find one for my car.