Antenna masts

Jim

There have been some posts about possible replacements for the antenna masts now that GM is no longer supplying them.

I received one of the ones Barney is remaking and it is EXCELLENT.

Kingsley is also working on a replacement.

Barney uses a stranded metal cable covered with plastic. I installed one in an assembly that had a broken band and it works perfectly.

The band Barney is sending out, because it is a metal cable should work for as long as your Reatta is alive. My guess is about a fifty year life span.

Guest Kingsley

As Jim has mentioned, I have located and posted on here, an aftermarket replacement for the antenna cable. The kit includes the top section of the mast (without the finial), the plastic cable and the hook on the end. I did a magnet test on the plastic cable and there does not appear to be any wire core in the cable. The OE cable was, in fact, a plastic tube into which a wire core had been inserted very nicely but even that gave way over time and use.

I think that the arrangement that Barney has should give good service for a long time. I have used that type of cable in other applications before and it is indeed tough. The only advantage that I see in the kits that I have purchased is that they do include the upper section of the mast.

If there is interest, I will dig back and re-post - the kit will be beneficial if the top section of your antenna is bad and cannot be reused.

Kingsley,

Barney's also includes the top section.

You get the hook thing at the bottom, the cable/band and the top section of the mast threaded at the very top for the ball/knob all as a complete ready to install piece.

You may remember back a few month when I offered a free antenna fix....... 12 were done with the steel cable and two more with .130 weed eater line. The weed eater line is ok but not all lines are created equal, the steel line is more consistant and fairly easy to obtain.

The difficult part of using the steel line is attaching it at the top end. I am silver-soldering the line to the top section of the mast and I tested the welds to 40 lbs pull without problems.

I have two repaired antenna in local friends Reattas and will keep a close eye on them.

I too think this is a permenant fix and once repaired with the steel line, it will go as long as the motor runs.

Guest steveskyhawk

Speedometer cable can be substituted for antenna "tape" too. Too much work for me however. I find it easier to simply put on a good used antenna and consider the job done.