Cluster/"function" illumination.

edselsouth1

1988 Reatta coupe. The instrument cluster displays all functions properly. "The Show" indicates that all bulbs are functional for the cluster, and for the other items that should be illuminated when the lights are on. The headlight switch area, wiper switch area, the designations around the CRT, cassette unit, and the fog, trunk, etc., switch area, do not illuminate at all, except when "The Show" is operational. What is needed to make these switch areas illuminate? The console indicator light also does not work, but the bulb is missing for that area, so will need to be replaced. Thanks for your input. David.

I think your photocell is bad, and doesn't think it's dark outside, and therefore, isn't illuminating the electroluminescent element inside the switches and the console indicator.

The console indicator on the '88/'89s also has EL elements. As opposed to the '90/'91 which have a blub.

The photocell can be replaced by a replacement from Home Depot I believe.

Might read through these::

http://reattaowner.com/roj/reatta-repair-instructions-and-tutorials/view/electrical+system+-++lighting+system+/instrument+panel+lights+troubleshooting/26.html

Dash Panel Lights Troubleshooting*-*ReattaOwner.com

Photocell Part Number*-*ReattaOwner.com

Twilight Sensor (Photocell) Alternative*-*ReattaOwner.com

Twilight Sensor Photocell Replacement*-*ReattaOwner.com

Dash Panel Lights Troubleshooting*-*ReattaOwner.com

NCReatta, Ronnie.... A good possibility of the photocell being faulty, as the cluster dimmer also does not work. The adjustment bar reads at halfway all the time, and does not operate whether daylight or dark. I'll get the photocell pulled to check for a Home Depot compatible replacement. Thanks, David.

Before you go through the effort of pulling the photo sensor try working your headlight switch a few times. I had the issue where those lights would go off and the speedometer and screen would go full bright if I turned my brights on or my fogs off. Headlight switch was hanging up and after a few presses on and off issue cleared up. Probably going to have to get into my spare one and get it ready to go in.

From my experience the photo cell/twilight sensor will cause the problems you are having about 3% of the time and 97% of the time it is the headlight switch module.

The two most common parts to go bad on the '88-89 Reattas is the headlight switch module and the CRT/touch screen.

'88-89 headlight switch modules are the one part I do not recommend anyone buying on ebay unless the seller has tested the switch in a working car and verifies the lights on the IPC and other switches will dim.

I have bought about 50 switches in junk yards over the years and maybe 5 of them worked as they should.

I have tested good working '88-89 headlight switches available and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

Pictured is a twilight sensor. I would be extremely surprised if you can find one of these for automotive use at the right resistance at Home Depot. Not only that, Home Depot sponsors a Toyota in Nascar and I do not shop at Home Depot or NAPA.:)

I also have good twilight sensors and tested good inverters available.

post-30613-14313854843_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim (see edit history)