1924 Dodge Sedan

Guest donnymopar

• 3 weeks later...
Guest donnymopar

Hi guys,

I worked all fall on another project for a friend, so I had to put the 24 on hold. Now, since that car is done, I will be getting on the Dodge after the holidays. First, we will be doing inventory of what we will and will not use. As for engine parts, I will only sell the entire running motor and trans as a complete deal. This will up for sale mid-January for $600. My shop is in metro Detroit, so pick-up only. I will only be able to ship if arranged by the buyer. Again this engine does run, and I will post a video thread of it running later in January before we remove it.

Best,

Don

• 2 months later...
Guest donnymopar

Wow, it's been awhile. The 24 Dodge got shoved to the back of shop. Worked on 3 other projects this winter. But, now she is seeing the light of day. As mentioned in different parts of this thread, alot of the parts are for sale. We put it up on stands this week and have begun taking it apart. Lot of rust around the "bottom" of the body. Right know, engine, trans, rear end, fenders, aprons, hood I will be selling. Since most of the sheet metal parts are in fair shape, motor, trans & rear seem to be in good shape...it probably would not make cost sense to sell with shipping. My shop is in the metro Detroit area. If anyone wants to PM me about parts, maybe we can arrange a summer event that I might attend and can deliver them.

Don

Welcome back Don!

I am in the Detroit area quite a bit. I also have a friend in the area so a local pickup would not be a problem. I would be interested in the rear bumper, wiper motor, and front apron under the radiator if you are not using those parts. Give me a PM when you have time.....

Bill

Guest donnymopar

Thanks for the welcome wave, Bill. We will be taking more things off next week and will decide wheather we will be re-using them or go with a custom piece. I will PM you with thoughts and photos as well. I will be communicating with Mike, (also in this thread) as well. Not to play one against the other, but he asked for some pieces too.

Best,

Don

Hi All,

I was wondering... Might this have been one of those Company milestone cars where they painted stuff on the sides of the car as it came off the factory line telling it was the "x" number car off the line - or maybe recognition of an anniversary year of production?

Do you know what I mean? You see those cars in old photos from the Company with maybe a couple of the heads of the Company riding in it as it leaves the factory. I was just reviewing the first two photos in post #1 from "donny".

Hey "donnymopar", could you take a cleaner shot of the painted printing on both sides of the car for a cleared discussion on this? Thanks. :confused:

Quote...........You see those cars in old photos from the Company with maybe a couple of the heads of the Company riding in it as it leaves the factory...........God I would hope not!!

Im not going to get into it with you Donny because it just wont lead anywhere most likely but I thought you should read this, a message that was just sent to me via e-mail. I dont really care who likes me or does not so I dont have a problem just posting it.

Something to think about..............I have just seen the post by club member donnymopar who is going to hot rod his 1924 Dodge Brothers. I don't know how the guy can even sleep nights. It just makes me feel so sad. Why does he need to pick on a complete and running original example when there are so many junkers which would do just as well? The car is restorable for goodness sake. Even the late Boyd Coddington realised that this sort of thing was unsustainable - and he was, to many, the master of hot rod builders. To me it's like a crime where the victim is violated and horribly disfigured.

I don't suppose there is any hope of persuaiding the guy to think again?

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Jason, you and I have gone over this topic many times. When I was getting ready to rod the coupe you suggested that I find a less desirable rusted 4-door sedan. Here is a guy who has a less desirable rusted 4-door sedan and wants to build it his way and you protest. Granted he is on the wrong website and we should suggest he move on. (But let Mike know where he's going)

I had a conversation with Don and here is his quote:"...if it had less rust out around the lower area, maybe. But, since it does have a lot of rust, it's a perfect hot rod candidate". So at least he's giving it a thought.

On the HAMB 2 weeks ago I read a thread where a guy bought a fully restored 1930 Model A. He then chopped the top, ripped it apart, and then lost interest and sold it. Even the HAMB guys jumped all over him! If he would have finished it I would say he followed his own mind. I'm guessing this is the wave of the future and it's sad but life goes on.

This is not an insult to anyone just my opinion.....

Born again senior citizen old guy with a 86 year old money pit.......

Here you go Bill and Donny, when I said ..........find a less desirable rusted 4-door sedan..........this is what I was implying..............E-bay item # 110829989353............not a nearly complete nearly fully functional automobile!

BTW those were not my words as mentioned, my words would be more along the line of disgusting that any shmuck would take a complete car like this and cut it up!!!

This is not an insult to anyone just my opinion.....

Or maybe this one..........120843626398

Maybe this one will tickle your fancy............110829986483

Might be I can interest you in a roadster ( or 4 ) .............200474488272

Nope lets instead pick on the car that is all put together so that less worked is involved with having to find those pesky doors or declkids

Quote............if it had less rust out around the lower area, maybe..........No offense but youve got to be kiddin, thats the best excuse?

Again I was not and am not trying to start anything but since you brought it up I feel the need to clarify.

Chances are very good ( I know I know itll never happen to this one ) that this car will end up like this............120875272115

Or maybe like this........110839782564

But more than likely like this...........110829982649

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Hi Bill

As an Englishman, I am only too aware that the whole hot rod scene is part of American culture, so I am hesitant to criticise the practice as such but on the other hand, I feel that I can view the subject objectively as an outsider, so to speak. It seems to me that what this guy is aiming to do is basically the same as the young bloods of the immediate post ww2 period. The fundamental difference is that there was then a plentiful supply of suitable candidates (mainly v8 fords). Today, the situation is completely different and in the end unsustainable.

In my opinion, the gentleman would be better advised to restore the car to it's original spec. or in the interests of motoring heritage, sell it to someone who can.

No offence intended.

Ray.

Guest donnymopar

Hi guys...

I must say, this website has very spirited and passionate members. I TRULY respect you all for that, especially 1930 (I've read some of your posts and commented as well, you are prolific and seem very knowledgable). My hats off to you sir.

As for comments regarding hot rodding a 24 dodge...it is true, I have tussled with going stock UNTIL I started taking it apart. I am surprised the body was able to hang onto the frame. The whole lower portion all the way around is rusted out. This could be channeled easily over the frame. It's funny, cause since I'm in my mid 40's I do like old school, but it's 50's hot rod old school with little modern twists. I truly, truly respect the classic enthusiasts here on this site. I do enjoy looking at a bone stock classic, because I realize the time, money, and craftsmanship that it entales. It's just not my spot of tea, if you will. When I lived in Calif., I met Leno many times and saw many of his cars...from his Stanley Steamer to his Hispario Spano to his 69 Hemi Roadrunner (which I have one - 6 pack). I appreciated them all, but he was also very interested in the old school hot rods, which is where my interest is now. If this 24 4-door sedan dodge were very rare or extremely desirable or valuable...I might have taken a longer look. For example, my 69 roadrunner is bone stock (not numbers matching, but year matching)...mostly because you really ruin the value if it is done any other way. My Harley, is all custom built (half stock harley parts, half custom) and is worth way more than a stock 93 softail...and a hell of lot more fun.

Alas, I ramble...my main reason to talk about the 24 here is...I know you guys will appreciate the parts available. But, I really do like incorporating as many old parts in with the new (old style) parts in my creations.

you can see the photoshop of my goal earlier in this thread.

P.S.

As for the printing on the side of the car...the passenger says "years of Dodge Dependablity"...I'll have to relook at the drivers side at the shop in the morning. I bought this car from a young guy who got it from a deceased uncle...story was that he thought it sat outside a Dodge dealership here in Michigan as advertising...(which would be why there is so much rust).

Best,

Don

Quote..........I must say, this website has very spirited and passionate members. I TRULY respect you all for that, especially 1930 (I've read some of your posts and commented as well, you are prolific and seem very knowledgable). My hats off to you sir...........Ah well I almost feel bad for using the word shmuck now ;)

Im done with this post now, dont condone it but of course its your car and you certaintely dont need my permission..............YET :D

Please let me fade away now, thank-you

An interesting post. Don.

Yes, you are right about the passion that members of this club have for their old Dodge Brothers cars. I believe that you also could get to love your vintage car; if you gave it a chance. If I lived nearby, I for one, would happily fix up your metalwork - for free - if you kept it stock. I think your 1924 sedan is rarer than you think; especially as it is so unspoilt. The reality is that it is much harder to restore to stock because it takes a lot of patience and dollars. A hot rod, on the other hand, is a quicker way to produce something which has no history and in this case could never again be the thoroughbred Dodge Brothers that it has been for nearly ninety years

Go on, take the brave decision and restore it stock!

Good luck,

Ray.

Guest donnymopar
Quote..........I must say, this website has very spirited and passionate members. I TRULY respect you all for that, especially 1930 (I've read some of your posts and commented as well, you are prolific and seem very knowledgable). My hats off to you sir...........Ah well I almost feel bad for using the word shmuck now ;)

Im done with this post now, dont condone it but of course its your car and you certaintely dont need my permission..............YET :D

Please let me fade away now, thank-you

Lol...no harm done. I am very easy going, so we'll just "agree to disagree"...and I do appreciate your input

Guest donnymopar
An interesting post. Don.

Yes, you are right about the passion that members of this club have for their old Dodge Brothers cars. I believe that you also could get to love your vintage car; if you gave it a chance. If I lived nearby, I for one, would happily fix up your metalwork - for free - if you kept it stock. I think your 1924 sedan is rarer than you think; especially as it is so unspoilt. The reality is that it is much harder to restore to stock because it takes a lot of patience and dollars. A hot rod, on the other hand, is a quicker way to produce something which has no history and in this case could never again be the thoroughbred Dodge Brothers that it has been for nearly ninety years

Go on, take the brave decision and restore it stock!

Good luck,

Ray.

You make a very good point...thank you for your input as well.

Guest donnymopar
And if you don't, please call it a "2012 donnymopar" and NOT a 1924 Dodge. Please??? :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll look for some 36 Dodge parts and call it a 36-24-36...oh that's right, I already have one of those.

As a matter of interest, Don, here in the U.K., I think it would be difficult and very expensive to get car insurance for what you are proposing. I may be naive, but do you intend to use it on the public roads? Can you get affordable insurance?

Another thing ; which I find frankly bizarre, is that in a country with some of the most punative speed restrictions in the world, why would you want a car with such enormous power?

You will understand that I am unfamiliar with the hot rod scene and at the moment find it difficult to comprehend, let alone appreciate your motivation.

May I respectfully suggest that you make a rational case for what you so obviously believe in.?

It may be that other members would also find your arguements of interest, if not necessarily persuaisive.

Ray

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Guest donnymopar
As a matter of interest, Don, here in the U.K., I think it would be difficult and very expensive to get car insurance for what you are proposing. I may be naive, but do you intend to use it on the public roads? Can you get affordable insurance?

Another thing ; which I find frankly bizarre, is that in a country with some of the most punative speed restrictions in the world, why would you want a car with such enormous power?

You will understand that I am unfamiliar with the hot rod scene and at the moment find it difficult to comprehend, let alone appreciate your motivation.

May I respectfully suggest that you make a rational case for what you so obviously believe in.?

It may be that other members would also find your arguements of interest, if not necessarily persuaisive.

Ray

Hot rod insurance is not a problem here in the US. Some states may be a little more rigid on what hits the road, but overall most Hot Rods, Street Rods, Traditional Rods & Rat Rods get plated and insured. For example companies like Haggerty can insure a $30K street rod for around $400 a year.

You can find some great websites of the "Ol Skool" hot rod scene. Some examples to google or youtube are: "H.A.M.B." / "KillBillet" web groups...... "Viva Las Vegas" / "Lone Star Round Up" / "Hunnert Car Pile-Up" / "BilletProof" / "Sins of Steel" / "TorqueFest" / "GoodGuys"

"Simco Shakedown" / to name a few of the yearly car shows. There are many other smaller ones as well. This "scene" offers alot of fun (in my opinion)...Hot Rods / Custom built cars, Rockabilly type music with groups like "Devil Doll" / "Imelda May" / "Twisted Tarantulas" / old Jerry Lee Lewis / Dick Dale / early rock-blues type of music...add in some very hot old pin-up themed ladies and plenty of good cheap beer (usually Pabst is king). Also at these events are great swap meets of 20's - 60's car parts, clothes, and home decor items. Great working displays of pinstripers, tatoo artists and other events like "flame thrower" cars. It truly is a "rockin good time".

I hope that helps a bit...check out some of those websites and see what you think.

AND, just cause I like this scene...it doesn't mean I can't like the classic car scene as well.

Best,

Don

It truly is a fun crowd

Guest donnymopar
"Twenty Five or Six To Four" - "Chicago"... :cool:

Ok. So I was out by a decade... Still thought the numbers came out cool! [24] ;)

I follow ya.

Ahh, very good...I do ya credit for that one.

Guest donnymopar
"Twenty Five or Six To Four" - "Chicago"... :cool:

Ok. So I was out by a decade... Still thought the numbers came out cool! [24] ;)

I follow ya.

Nice Dodge...and very eye candy as well.

quote..........Guess I'm still stuck on the original side! .............I hope you were not just talking about the vehicle!!

Guest donnymopar
At times like this I usually revert to type; so I shall pour myself a single malt, put my feet up and listen to some Mozart. God bless you all and goodnight.

Ray.

I say Ray has got it right. I think I'll join you, cheers!

Good night, and I think the thread needs to end for now...if anyone wants and update or if anyone else is interested in parts, feel free to PM me.

Best,

Don

I say Ray has got it right. I think I'll join you, cheers!

Good night, and I think the thread needs to end for now...if anyone wants and update or if anyone else is interested in parts, feel free to PM me.

Best,

Don

I know this may be frowned upon by some but I do wish that you would re-consider what you will do for the car, in my opinion (overlooking the obvious ) you have a great attitude and would be a welcome addition here and Im not just saying that.

You would be a welcome addition to the club I am sure.