Possible 88-89 Buick Reatta mirror motor?

Guest specky

Guest specky

A newbie here,

Sorry to the mods, I just mosted this in the wrong section...

Would anyone recognize the wing mirror motor?

Could it be off a 88-89 Buick Reatta?

It's currently fitted to another GM car that shares the same review driving mirror, light pod motors etc...

Thanks in advance.

100_1542.jpg

Looks as though it could be, but part of the picture is unclear at the top of the motor. There are there mounting points where it screws into the mirror housing. There is also a receiver socket on the face into which snaps a plastic gimbal on the back of the mirror glass. This "ball" is about 3/8" diameter. There will be two plastic rods that move in and out based on the position of the motor, one for vertical movement and one for horizontal.

If you can post additional pictures, I may be able to confirm this is the correct part. Do be forewarned though, GM may have used the same motor in other cars but it may have a different harness connector on the end. This would require cutting/splicing of the harness to put on the correct connector type, something that is best avoided if at all possible.

KDirk

Guest specky

I'll post some more pictures tomorrow when the camera's charged up.

I know we share the same door locks as well as the lift motors etc...

are the pivot pins still available (I'll take a picture of them as well)

cheers again

Ok. Out of curiosity, what car is this mirror motor off of? A lot more likely to be similar if it is off another E platform car (Riviera, Toronado/Trofeo and Eldorado) of the same or close year to a Reatta (87-93) but you didn't say in your original post.

KDirk

Guest specky

You're close... It's an sort of an E platform car. It's off a Lotus Elan (M100), GM owned at the time, except they put the GM parts in Lotus bags and trebbled the price.

Here are some more pictures to aid you.

100_1547.jpg

100_1548.jpg

100_1549.jpg

A newbie here,

Would anyone recognize the wing mirror motor?

Could it be off a 88-89 Buick Reatta?

It's currently fitted to another GM car that shares the same review driving mirror, light pod motors etc...

You're close... It's an sort of an E platform car. It's off a Lotus Elan (M100), GM owned at the time, except they put the GM parts in Lotus bags and trebbled the price.

Why would you start a thread to ask a question and then answer it yourself? Maybe verifying it will fit a Reatta so you can sell it on eBay?

The mirrors on the Reatta seem far more elongated than the ones on the Elan. Mounted in a different place too. (Elan is right at the edge of the window, Reatta is a few inches inward):

44507d1166817222-lets-talk-about-lotus-elan-m100-only-fwd-lotus-ever-so-far-kiaelan.jpg

FWD with a transverse engine like a Reatta. Turbo DOHC 4-cyl, rather than a V-6. And typical Lotus - weighs only 2250 lbs - which is very un-Reatta like.

Guest specky

It was a tenuous joke, all Lotus production cars begin with "E"... E platform...:)

I haven't answered my own question, I don't know know whether it's off a Buick Regatta or not.:( I'm hoping for confirmation.

If it helps, I'm trying to locate one for a Lotus Elan forum member who lives in the USA, it's going to be easier for him to find one over there, than locate one this side of the pond.

Lotus Elan Central • View topic - Door mirror motor part number/manufacturer

it's not the mirror or the housing I'm intrested in, it's the motor contained within.

I couldn't tell you if the KIA Elan uses the same internal mirror motors as the Lotus Elan.

I'm not some crazed out Ebay seller trying to make a quick buck, but someone just trying to work out what GM parts were used on the Lotus Elan.

Guest specky
I don't believe the motor will work in a Reatta. On the motor pictured there is a cross for mounting the glass and in that spot Reattas use a ball socket.

Dam,

back to the drawing board, apart from that is it a close match?

It was a tenuous joke, all Lotus production cars begin with "E"... E platform...:)

I haven't answered my own question, I don't know know whether it's off a Buick Regatta or not.:( I'm hoping for confirmation.

Maybe it's because we are from different sides of the pond and we have a different sense of humor but I don't see anything there that would lead anyone to think it was a joke. Looks to me like you were making a statement that answered your original question.

Dam,

back to the drawing board, apart from that is it a close match?

I just went and looked and they will not be interchangeable. The Reatta motor assemblies use 3 mounting holes one on the top and two on the bottom.

post-30613-143138546446_thumb.jpg

Guest specky

Many thanks,

That's so close....:eek:

You've cofirmed a few things though...

It's GM, which we weren't 100% on.

The internals should be the same, so the parts commonality is a hit.

and I guess the pivot pins are identical, right down to them snapping and giving you that wobbly mirror.

May I use the above photograph on our forum please?

I'll take a picture of the internals of mine, just in case you ever need the motors, drive wheels etc, I guess things have got really bad if you end up using one of ours, but it's always an option.

Thank you for your help on behalf of the LEC and myself.