Sign in to follow this  
Jonny88

Knee action piston shocks questions

got a question for you, does anybody know about knee action piston shocks that are on the front suspension of a 51 Olds super 88. I had just examined them today and was studing closely, some of my older relatives that worked on cars from the 40's and 50's said they will last a lifetime, dont know if they are wore out though. I pushed on the front of the car, and it raised back up as a normal shock would. I have a few pictures below, let me know what youre opinions are please, I would gladly appreciate any help.

These pictures, there is alot of built up grease that is why they look so old, there is also a very small amount of surface rust on each knee shock, normal for a 61 year old car. Thanks guys.

Jon

post-72127-143138544796_thumb.jpg

All I know about those is they can be rebuilt and may have to be topped off with shock absorber fluid once in a while.

It sounds as if your shocks are working fine. As long as they don't leak and have plenty of fluid in them they should continue working for quite a while.

Nickelroadster, I was thinking the same thing, they dont leak, but maybe need to be topped off with fluid.