Skirtless Zephyr

Neil G

I posted this in the Lincoln V-12 discussion but thought I'd try here too. I just bought this 41 Zephyr. It has no skirts and an added piece where the skirt would have been to give it a standard wheel opening. If you've seen a Zephyr without skirts you know it's a huge opening, as far as I know all Zephyrs had skirts. There is a seam on the inside the fender that follows the original opening. The customization or conversion seems factory and the car is sporting mostly original paint. Has anybody seen this before or heard of it being done to a Zephyr?

post-70289-14313854062_thumb.jpg

post-70289-143138540621_thumb.jpg

There were not any LZ's made with chrysler styled skirtless rears...period.. There were a handfull of 2 tone paints..but it appears that this beautiful car was a rework at some point including add on reverse lights... It is sweet either way...but skirts would be nice...

This thread sent me looking at my photo collection. Found 5 Zephyr coupes, 3 convertible coupes, and 10 sedans, all skirted. Found 21 Continentals, all skirted, and 6 Lincolns from 1940-48 skirted and 2 without skirts. Apparently just about anybody that bought a Lincoln during that time period, except for Mrs. Henry Ford, laid out a few dollars more for skirts.

This thread sent me looking at my photo collection. Found 5 Zephyr coupes, 3 convertible coupes, and 10 sedans, all skirted. Found 21 Continentals, all skirted, and 6 Lincolns from 1940-48 skirted and 2 without skirts. Apparently just about anybody that bought a Lincoln during that time period, except for Mrs. Henry Ford, laid out a few dollars more for skirts.

I don't believe they were listed as an extra item they just came on the car. I have never seen a factory photo of a Lincoln 36 -48 without skirts. The 42 to 48 looks akay witrhout but the earlier 36 to 41 shows a lot of the undercarage. Leroy Waldren

Guest dandeman

I have a set of 41 continental fenders done this way my dad did this years ago and then later put the original type back on. He did it by splicing a section from the post war fenders