Window clacks and it won't roll down

Guest 89Reatta

Guest 89Reatta

Hi fellow forum members! My drivers window rolls down about 2 inches and makesca terrible loud clacking sound and won't roll down further. It also makes this sound in the maximum up position. Worked fine until about a month ago when this all started.

Is this a diy repair? Could the window have just come off the tracks?

Please chime in I appreciate your input!

Guest 89Reatta

I've seen some recent posts on this, sounds like a bad motor. I will take a look and report back.

It could be a motor or you may have a mechanical failure of the mechanism.

The Reatta uses an "X" type mechanism with rollers on the ends of the arms. If one of the plastic rollers breaks, then all bets are off as to what will happen. An arm may have come out of the track and is catching on the inside of the door brace. Very hard to tell without taking off the door panel (unless you have a minature spy camera)

From my experience the teeth have stripped on the regulator portion of the window motor regulator assembly.

I have good ones available.

Jim, I know you have worked with many more than I have, but just for info, the two I have done were stripped large gear (nylon or plastic) inside the motor ass'y.......... Jim

Thanks! This will be a future weekend project. May post pics as I get into this.
Please do and take notes on tools needed and steps you take to do the job. It would make a good tutorial for my website.

There are instructions on my website that might help you get the door panel off.

The big spring is indeed a dangerous item. This is why when I send out a regulator it will come with a good motor attached so you do not have to get involved with separating the two.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 89Reatta

Big thank you to Jim Finn for the part at a fair price and installation advice as well as the excellent tutorial on Ronnie's website! Got it in tonight.

Ronnie I tried to take pictures but quickly realized I was just trying to figure out what I was doing from step to step so I didn't get very far with that.

Thank you guys for the advise and a great forum!

Guest Recian

I have this problem on mine and the auto store next door has a motor in stock for $40 but I have yet to look at the regulator teeth (which is why my window in my 78 truck doesnt work) but i just highly detest trying to get this thing out with all it's rivets in the regulator and glass. If youre worried about the spring you'll need these to hold the regulator (the biggest ones in the middle, the round ones) they'll go around the regulator and hold it together with spring tension while you attatch the motor

http://www.impactlab.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/vicesmall-grips.jpg

Five rivets to remove. use a drift to punch out the center and drill. motor and regulator come out as a unit. I just drill a 1/4" hole through and use a 1/4-20 bolt, same size I use to reattach. Have done in a yard with a battery drill before.

Guest 89Reatta

I suggest you order from Jim Finn. For not much more than that price he sells the motor attached to the regulator which means you don't have to worry about the spring as it all one piece. Ronnie's website has an excellent tutorial.