1936 Buick Model 40 three window coupe

Kevin J. Keenan

While driving my Buick last weekend I heard a noise coming from the clutch/transmission area. After the vehicle came to a stop the transmission would not go in any gear. I am not sure if it is a clutch or transmission issue. I live in central New Jersey. Does anyone know of a shop that could diagnose/repair the proplem with my vehicle. The shop could be in New Jersey, Penn, N.Y. or Conn.

Thanks

Kevin (908) 461-8301

Not to be an alarmist, but make sure they check the clutch REAL GOOD for fatigue fractures.....this is what happened to my '31 Dodge clutch...it made the "noise" and did the same thing your car did.

post-37352-143138538474_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138538486_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I jacked up the and put it on four jacks stands. Today I was able to inspect the clutch, fork, throw out bearing and everything appears to be in good shape and operational. I took off the back cover on the torque ball at the rear of the trans, again everything appears to be in good shape. I started the car put it in gear and let it run in gear, now I went under the car while running it in gear. The noise is coming from the middle of the torque tube. I stopped the car and removed the rear plate on the rear end. Again everything was in good shape. Is it possible that the axle shaft inside the torque tube went bad?

How hard is it to remove the torque tube? If the axle is bad can it be repaired ? Is there anything else inside the tube that could have went bad?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Today I remove the rear end and torque from the car. Prior to that I inspected the trans and clutch and everything seemed to be in order. I started the car and put it in gear I could see the trans with the torque axle moving. I had already removed the rear plate off the rear end. I could hear a noise about down the torque tube but no movement in the rear end. When I removed the rear I seperated the torque from the rear. The axle shaft innside the torque has seperated or broke.

Does anyone know if the torque can be repaired?

Thanks Kevin

I found the problem with my 1936 Buick sport coupe 118 wheel base. The propeller shaft inside the torque tube is broken.

Does anyone know where I could locate a torque tube with the shaft inside the tube or know of someone that could repair my broken propeller shaft?

Thanks Kevin

Any "Good" welding shop should be able to weld your drive shaft. I have had many items welded and used them for years. The right axle in my Pontiac was hammer welded in a forge by an old blacksmith in 1948. It took him about an hour to do the job and he charged my Grandfather 50 cents. It now has 400,000 more miles on it and is working fine.