Things You Find While Walking Your Dog

Took my dog for a walk about two years ago and noticed an old flatbed truck in a three-sided shed. Didn't pay much attention to it. Looked kind of like a 1910s or 1920s International.

This week I saw the owner of the land working outside and took the time to ask him about the truck. "Is that old truck a 1919 International?" We got to talking and I wound up walking over to the shed with him and finding out it was a Jeffery, about 1920, in good shape. It had a brass plate saying if you drove the vehicle more than 18 m.p.h. the warranty was voided. It turns out that someone named Bill Harrah had been to the same shed before me and even tried to buy the truck. It was not for sale.

One thing odd about it was a pristine radiator shell that said Haynes on it. It looked like something on a circa-1922 Haynes car. Could Jeffrey Trucks have just invoiced a bunch of Haynes radiators to save money; was there some Haynes-Jeffery corporate connection; or did someone do some creative scrounging and replace a truck radiator with a car radiator?

----Jeff

Ahhh...the "Bill Harrah story". If I had a dollar for every story that I have heard about someone refusing to sell Bill Harrah their old car when he came to buy it, I would at least have enough money to finish my two 1931 DB coupe restorations. O.K....a little bit of an exaggeration. Maybe I would have enough to fill a gas tank on one of my cars.

Just how well do you know your dog ?

I have heard that among the many powers of Bill Harrah

is the ability to shape shift ;)

Perhaps Bill was taking you for a walk in yet another masterful

attempt to add to his collection :cool:

1913 - Thomas B Jeffrey Company - In 1913, the Thomas B. Jeffery Company debuted a prototype four-wheel-drive, four-wheel-steer 2 ton truck it called the Quad. The truck went into production in 1914, and with WWI just beginning in Europe, it was just in time to be snapped up by the British, French, and Russian armies as well as by the U.S. Army in small numbers. In 1916, the Thomas B. Jeffery Company was sold to Nash, and the Quad became the Nash Quad. It was built and sold in large numbers during WWI, but sales trickled after 1919,and the Quad went out of production in 1928.

Jim :D

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

Jay Leno has become the Bill Harrah of the 21st century. A guy at work has a 38 Ford 1 ton flatbed. Jay Leno calls him once a month, offering him 125K for it. He's holding out for a quarter million since it is the only one left in the world.

I've found 2 things of note while walking my dog in the neighborhood over the years, both pulled out of trash cans on pickup day. One was a Jeep shop manual in nearly perfect condition that I sold on eBay for $45. The other was a near perfect 1953 Studebaker wheel cover (something most people wouldn't recognize since they're largely blank), also sold on eBay for $25.

About a year ago while walking in my neighborhood, I noticed a covered car in a garage with a wire wheel sticking out. The owner was there so I asked if it was a model T speedster. He said it was NOT a model T and he would show me what it was. Imagine my astonishment when he uncovered a Type 35 B Bugatti gran prix car. He has owned it for over 50 years and has been gradually restoring it. So far it is running, the body is rebuilt and is in primer. By the way it is the real deal, not a made up car or repop..

About a year ago while walking in my neighborhood, I noticed a covered car in a garage with a wire wheel sticking out. The owner was there so I asked if it was a model T speedster. He said it was NOT a model T and he would show me what it was. Imagine my astonishment when he uncovered a Type 35 B Bugatti gran prix car. He has owned it for over 50 years and has been gradually restoring it. So far it is running, the body is rebuilt and is in primer. By the way it is the real deal, not a made up car or repop..

My bet you are a story for that guy...

"....can you imagine, he thought is was a bleedin Ford! Well I just had to show him."

I recently found a balding head, holding a mug of rootbeer and a hamburger just peeking over a tall fence. Yup, that would be an original A&W Papaburger statue. Those are kinda rare and I remember the whole A&W family at A&Ws as a kid. This one is just 7 blocks from an A&W now. Haven't knocked on his door yet, but I will be soon.

Does anybody know what a value may be on him?

Here is a Papaburger, Mamaburger and a Babyburger pic I found (Teen burger is missing (surprised?) and Grandpaburger was Cananda only)

idburger.jpg

Jay Leno has become the Bill Harrah of the 21st century. A guy at work has a 38 Ford 1 ton flatbed. Jay Leno calls him once a month, offering him 125K for it. He's holding out for a quarter million since it is the only one left in the world.

I hope the guy at work doesn't own a gun .... or you guys don't work at the post office .......... HE SOUNDS READY:eek:

I call BS on that story

anyone with an ounce of sense would have accepted a ridiculous offer like that in a heartbeat.

38 ford 1 ton flatbed, probably thousands of them left

Here is one that can be used:

http://www.classyauto.com/v/Ford+Custom/Resto+Mod+1+ton+Hauler/91955

or an even rarer yet 1 ton pickup

http://www.guildclassiccars.com/1938_fordpu_1074/index.html

Edited by Jim Rohn (see edit history)

I found a nice Sears Craftsman socket wrench set in a zipper case in a snow bank. Must have fallen off someone's truck or something. It came to light when the snow started melting, so I think it was buried there for the winter.

Several years ago my dog and I went fishing. I somehow lost the ring my Dad gave me it was my Grandad's I was pretty broken up

A few days ago I was cleaning a fish and struck something hard with my knife......... it was my thumb!

Several years ago my dog and I went fishing. I somehow lost the ring my Dad gave me it was my Grandad's I was pretty broken up

A few days ago I was cleaning a fish and struck something hard with my knife......... it was my thumb!

You win!!! :D

I call BS on that story

anyone with an ounce of sense would have accepted a ridiculous offer like that in a heartbeat.

38 ford 1 ton flatbed, probably thousands of them left

Here is one that can be used:

1938 Ford Custom Resto Mod 1 ton Hauler for sale in Plantation, Florida used with 0 miles

or an even rarer yet 1 ton pickup

The Guild of Autotmotive Restorers 1938 Ford Pick Up 1 Ton

Whenever I get sent to a link selling antique cars, I look further. Nice to know there's bargains out there

1918 Chevrolet Model D5 (Henry Ford Museum Car) for sale in Los Gatos, California used with 0 miles

A guy in my neighborhood has a 70's corvette in his driveway. It is under a cover and has not moved in the 15 years I have lived there. I always wondered why it wasn't in the garage. I was walking the dog yesterday and the garage door was up. I realized what looked like a pile of funiture was a pile of furniture in the bed of a nice looking old pick-up. couldnt tell what it was as the tail gate was down. Need to go talk to that guy

I found a screwdriver walking the dog one day. No big deal you say till I tell you this screwdriver is 3 foot long and had a blade that is 1 inch wide and at least a 1/4 inch thick.

I have no idea what kind of screw it fits, I figure it must be a Cat or heavy machinery tool It doubles as a pry bar and a joke when someone under the hood says "Give me a screwdriver, no it doesn't matter on the size".

When I was about 14, I was rideing my bike far from home and my chain fell off the bike.

I actuallY found the master link and while trying to put it on with my fingers, I looked at the side of the road and found a pair of pliers!

Must have been my lucky day. :cool:

When I was 16-17 yo I stopped on a back road to water a tree. While I was doing that I looked around and found a case of beer hidden under some brush. At that age it didn't matter to me if the beer was cold or not.

A few years ago, There was a mid 50's 4 door chevy in the driveway a few blocks from my home. The paint was worn, but it looked to be in running condition. I would make sure to look at it while walking with my daughter, who was only a few month old at the time. She listened intently as I went on about how cool I thought it was. It was there for a few months and then disappeared, never to be seen again. I always regretted not asking about it. I found My 47 Buick in a similar way ... and bought it! My daughter is now 7 and my son is 4 and they like old cars. They must have been listening all along.

I was walking with my wife's cousin (who is sometimes called "Dawg") this morning and found these...hoodless 1928-29 Model A Ford sedan and some army vehicles.

post-37352-143138543343_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138543355_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138543365_thumb.jpg

Keiser, that town is a gold mine!! You are forever stumbling onto something. Neat.

Ben

As we pulled down the street from those vehicles, we passed a 1937 or so Packard sedan behind a fence. I was not driving so I will have to go back tomorrow and take a photo or two of that one.

Maybe there is something special about my dog. We stopped and looked at another 4WD truck that's sitting outside...this one's kind of a "C-cab", about a '31, made by the FWD company and is a former state highway truck. Since it's been sitting back by the alley a couple of decades, though, it's not a barn-find.

My neighbor down the street has a 69 Lincoln, solid black, low miles, etc, that he moves outside when he is working in his garage. My dog knows to stop at that driveway when it is out so I can admire it.

I found a screwdriver walking the dog one day.(from Bill Stoneberg's post)

I call BS on this story. How does a screwdriver walk a dog?

Sorry I should have been I was walking a dog while imbibing in a screwdriver..

Never drink and type, you get it all wrong

Back in 1982 my girlfriend and I were backpacking across Europe.We hitched a ride and arrived in Wales the day before.Sadly this was the weekend and a "bank holiday" in this rural country town so no chance of cashing a travelers check.We had spent what little cash we had securing a spot to pitch our tent at an RV campground.With no money for food,I swiped a few ears of cow corn from a nearby farm which we boiled up on our camping stove only to find-cow corn aint for human consumption! The following day my girl and I were walking down a country lane moaning about our empty stomachs.Two minutes later this ford cortina goes whizzing by with a wallet on the trunk lid,we turned to each other with a "what if" look.

Half a mile later there is this wallet laying in the street with 3 ten pound notes inside.We decided to take a "tenner" and dropped the wallet and remaining cash in the nearest mail box as thier postal service will return wallets and purses with id to the owner.That afternoon we feasted on a cheese platter while gloating about our good fortune.I hope mr. cortina got his wallet and cash back.I cant recall if I ever found anything while walking my dog except noticing a car that always has a cover on it is actually a 63 split window corvette.If I was that guy,I would keep the vette in the garage and the honda in the carport,Im just saying...