How fast do these cars go?

Paul K.

Well, after 4 years of ownership, I finally took my 41 for a REAL drive. I took it to a small car show on Saturday and I took it on the freeway. San Diego to Oceanside, about 40 miles, and at a steady 60 mph. Overdrive worked fine, no shaking and reacted well during a panic stop due to a not so good driver ahead of me. it had more to go, but I did not want to push it. So, just what is a comfortable cruising speed in these cars and their top speed?

Well, I will tell you ...my 40 will roll at 70-80 in regular gear..but If I am on interstate..2 speed engaged..I hate to say I drive 75-80...car seems to really like it at that speed....I Most enjoy

my Lincoln on the highway, smooth roads..high speed...but..I have not yet done the 8/10 hours required to drive to the meets back east... I have been to Gaulker Point Mi. to the north, Shipshewanna to the west and Delray Oh to the south...

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

My dad used to tell me when he was restoring his 41 Zephyr, with overdrive, of how the car would bury the speedometer. I think it has 110 or 120 on the gauge. He had owned this car he was restoring since the late 40's and this was in the 70's. I did not think much of it then, but at my Mom's funeral this last December one of their old friends recounted a story to me about my Dad and the Zephyr. This would be in the late 40's before he and my Mom married in 1950. Dad was challenged to a race by a local fellow who had a Hudson. This guy wanted to race a quarter or half mile. My dad said "tell ya what, I wil race you from Huntington to Zazalla". Now this is about 12-15 miles. They took off, and of course the Hudson sped away. My Dads friend said well thats it. Dad said "no, just wait" He got the Zephyr going, slipped her into overdrive and sure enough, about 6 or 7 miles later they passed the Hudson like it was standing still. So I guess the will just keep going and going as long as you are brave enough to hang on! that car was H112450, sure wish I could find her.

• 2 weeks later...

My 1939 Zephyr Convertible (V-12 with a Columbia axle) would run 75 mph easily. Too bad I had to sell it!

My 1941 Continental has NO overdrive and it had 15 inch radial tires on it when I got it. It's a mostly original car with 84,000 miles on the tired old V-12. It would struggle to make 60 mph. I put the original 16 inch wheels back on it with new Firestone (Coker) 7:00 16 tires and it now will run 60 without complaining too much. Still not fast enough to cruise I-35 here in Texas!

I cruise on the freeways up here in Sacramento at normal freeway speeds 75-85mph with no problems, I plan on putting radials on the 48 soon as the roads up here are so rutted and rough the car is all over the place, I rebuilt my steering box and it is still hard to control.

I would say if I pushed it on a good road with OD engaged it would do around 100mph maybe a little more.

• 4 weeks later...

""if you want it a lot faster buy a chain and hook it up to behind my flathead Cadillac.

gene ""

Oh yeah....I'm thinkin thats some kind attempt at humor ?

or else you havent the skill to make your Lincoln-Zephyr run properly..These are not race cars..but are not dogs either

Guest B1rdman

for sure the v-12 runs very good.

but my 1947 lincoln i belive is a 292

while my 1948 caddy is 345 inches

inches make horse power.

i just wrote it because the posts on licoln page

had about died out.

trying to stirr it up a little.

gene

It would be interesting to find out just what was done ( if anything) with the V12 engines that were in the 2 1946 Indy pace cars. Reports were that altho they looked "stock" the engines were modified internally? It was said the cars would break 100mph. I think the '49 V8's were the first true 100 mph Lincolns but perhaps some of the old K's may also been able to break 100?