Are there other auction sites other than ebay for old car parts?

I like local swap meets, but I am up here in the Pacific north west so the selection isn't that good. Portland Ore. has a decent one each spring but I find fewer teen's parts each year. No end of street rod, 50's ,60's , and race car stuff but that's not really what I am looking for. Mind you Ebay isn't overflowing with brass era parts either. I am slowly realizing most of what I now need is going to need casting and machining.  Bakersfield  Cal. would probably be worthwhile but it's a long drive from my home near Seattle WA {Vancouver B.C.}. One of my friends and I talk about it each year but either work or lack of funds manage to derail the plans. Retirement is closing in so the time will get better, $ not so much.

Greg in Canada

The worst things to sell, at least for me, is automotive paper and magazines.  I've accumulated lots of magazines (by subscription or bought new at newsstands)  and they just don't move.  I've relisted some stuff on eBay for literally months (and a few for years...) before someone buys it.  Sales literature and owner's manuals rarely sell.   I wonder how eBay Power Sellers who specialize in this stuff stay in business.   I'm not looking for 'home runs' here, just some lunch money (which always helps!) and to make space.   If anyone has any ideas I'll gladly listen.

Harold

Sorry to inform you but Ebay owns Kijiji and a big chunk of Craigs list too. Just like Walmart, you won't see the end of Ebay in your lifetime.

At one time ALL my good items went straight to ebay... I was their biggest cheerleader.    Now my good items go to small niche websites, or to physical swap meets.  I'm getting good results at the small websites.... and the view counts make me smile.

In other news the higher ebay fees have been difficult to swallow and very hard to get used to.  I'm a small time operation here ( with big time dreams ) and money is always streatched, and looking back at the ebay hay-day days I'd sell $1,000 and would owe them $60 for the month.  This past month, with their sky high fees,  I sold $1,023 on ebay and now owe them $133.  Crazy thing is I won't have the money to pay the monthly fee for a few more days, but hey their computers have suspended my selling and buying.  I just bought ( invested ) $50 in old parts off of their website couldn't be happier.  Call me "irresponsible" if you wish, I do it to myself all the time,  but I'M IN SALES AND NOT ALL MONTHS ARE THE SAME, SOME BETTER THAN OTHERS.

Heck last month I took a week off ( unpaid ) from my day job so I could vend at Hershey... it was the first year EVER in my 10 years vending at Hershey that i just didn't want to make the effort/trip.  It was a yucky feeling knowing I would be falling into more debt.   Sold a mere $180 worth of merchandise ( I brought some good stuff too - not a single offer on a table of barn fresh stuff worth $600 ).  I could ramble and rant all day, but i'm gonna go sell something thing today on a small niche website and will end the day with a big smile.  

I'm shipping out a vintage AM/FM Truck Radio, and two Jerry Can Gas Nozzles in the mail today so what ever I'm doing...  ( both small website sales ) it's working.

What sites have you had luck with? I know I haven't had any real luck on here.  Like you I haven't been happy with all the fee increases.  My bank even started charging me a buck a month on at least one account for a statement.  Glad they are charging me to keep my money their.  Something is just getting wrong with society in general when banks start charging you to keep your money.  I think that cashless society idea just took one step backwards. 

I think there is a severe lack of adults as buyers on Ebay and many other places. Any lack of due diligence on their part results in an extortion threat or running back to Ebay to extract the seller's money.

Here is the result in one instance, mine. I have always bought accumulations of parts or old cars with some level of collector value to buy and sell. I was the kid who started working at age 11 and the kid who always had some money. I could buy stuff and resell it. Since 1999 I have used Ebay, who has turned into the bully who protects the stupid. I am pretty sure that the next old car or garage full of parts that have me standing between them and the scrapyard are going to be reincarnated as KIA's.

I might lose a little "lunch" money, and I don't eat at Mickey D's, but I'll make up for it with other talents. The ones that will lose are the buyers who cheep like the pullets my Grandmother kept in the dining room every spring, the buyer who didn't know what rough mean, or needs work, or some other little whiny issue they took to Big Brother. They'll just sit glassy eyed and wonder why all they can find is blue headlights and red seat belt covers or dashboard trinkets that "fit anything".

And you know who you are; the ones who opened the package and whined "I thought". Those are certainly the two most dangerous words in the English language "I thought". Ask.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

>>>  Here is the result in one instance, mine. I have always bought accumulations of parts or old cars with some level of collector value to buy and sell. I was the kid who started working at age 11 and the kid who always had some money. I could buy stuff and resell it. <<<

That's got to be the story behind every one who's been featured on the "Pickers" tv show.   Oh how I wish I had started "early" in my buy'n and selling.  My Dad did teach me right... every week he'd scour the papers and buy every used David Bradley garden tractor available.  I went thru a lot of sand paper as a teenager helping him bring them to life, got to see how one could make some pocket money from other peoples junk.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer your quest about selling parts,I have advertised and have had good luck

over the years in a magazine called AUTO ROUND-UP If you take the magazine it

cost $34.95 for a year 26 issues,They have free private owner ads for parts. and it reaches

all over the states.buy a copy at your local Grocery store or write to Auto Round-UP

PO BOX 873, JANE LEW, WV. 26378 they will send you a free copy.<kanman>

• 9 months later...
Guest Scarabeo

I'm quite new here, and my interest is mostly in Lincolns.

Recently, a friend in the Alfa (my decades-long passion) world steered me to a new-ish, obscure auction site that seems focused on classic car parts where he's listed a few Alfa parts. The website's pretty rough around the edges, but based on its one blog post, seems to have good intentions - a move away from the eBay fees-for-everything model. Here's the link:

www.classicpartsauctions.com

Click on the second tab "Feature and Newest Auctions" for some of the currently-auctioned items.

• 6 months later...
Guest stevearies

I have no idea about auction sites for old car parts, but i know a company by name getparts which sells High Quality OEM Used Car Parts for low price. They ship across USA within 4 to 5 days. Thank you. 

Ebay has been telling me, a seller, that the people whom buy from me are THEIR customers. I am just a middleman to be pushed around by ever increasing demands, fees, and regulations to "make the ebay buying experience wonderful". The selling experience doesn't matter to them.

Well, the email I got from Ebay a couple days ago just cracked me up. I'm still smiling. It seems New York State has a bill requiring them to take responsibility for sales tax on all the purchases by THEIR customers relating to New York. They were begging me, as a seller, to write my elected officials and defend them. They "want to help the little guy".

Devin, John Donahue finished alienating all the friends you thought you had, and they slipped you in without a lot of fanfare. Guess you didn't see that one coming.

Oh, and I don't think I ever thanked you for the certificate of recognition as a seller from 1999-2014. The five year certificate was almost worth printing.

Bernie

Ebay is pretty much a love hate relationship.  I like that I can barely make a living selling old car parts.  Beats doing something I hate for the same money, but things like the internet sales tax they want you to write your representative about is very important if you use the site to buy or sell.  As usual only a member of the legislature could come up with such a screwed up system of tax collecting.  According to them, you will be required to collect tax for every place you ship to and remit it to them.  Not one tax based on your location.  So you will need to know all the different tax codes for every town and county in NY state and submit who knows how many checks to all those tax collection agencies.  This is the same reason that a national internet sales tax has fallen flat.  Can you even imagine how many jurisdictions you will have to deal with?  I believe the last number I heard was around 10,000.  Any one of those could dispute your tax payments to them and require you to show up in person  to fight them over it.  I can tell you right now,  many sellers will stop selling and a lot of old car parts will get scrapped.  Including quite possibly alot of mine.  There will be a huge impact on the economy. I have never heard of the numbers but I will bet between the scrap market being high when it was and internet sites like ebay were the only reason we didn't see a full scale depression when the economy tanked.  I know what the amount I sell a year comes in at.

A portion of that was money from out of the country.  Not many exporters these days it seems actually importing money from other countries to help fuel the US economy and that's what it takes to really make our economy grow.  The sale of goods to other countries.