Sign in to follow this  
Jonny88

Drum Brake Questions for a 51 Olds Super 88

Hello guys and gals, Got another question for you Olds owners, I have a 1951 Oldsmobile SUPER 88 DeLuxe B Model. I have finally taken her out on the road this past week. As I have feared, The brakes need a complete overhaul, they still retain the originals on them.

Which comes to my question. The 1950-1951 Oldsmobile Shop Manual calls for the 78 and 88 series having 11x2 1/2 size on the front and 11x2 on the rear, this is correct, but my local NAPA store only supplies the rear brakes, but has front brakes for later models in the 50's.

Would any of those drums and shoes which also are 11x2 1/2 on the front, work as well.

Also is there any recomendation for shocks within this Super 88 deluxe, I know they are the cylinder type I think, and of course the originals are on the car and sway bad.

Thanks for you help

Jon

It has knee action shocks - they need to be rebuilt. Or weld on special bracket(s) for more modern shocks.

Later shoes should work - check the hold down pin locations to be sure. Metallic linings work the best but eat up the drums.

The stock brakes on vintage Olds are only good for one or two hard stops before they get hot. Need to duct air to them or add water cooling to them. Disks are aftermarket option to think about, defensive driving is an asset Hydrovac power brakes was a dealer option - will give one or two more hard stops before the brakes fade. Don't ride the brake pedal.

Ron

Yeah, you know what can be cheaper for the front brakes, that fit the same, are off of a 1964 ford galaxie......you can get those shoes from any local auto parts store. Also, It's cheaper to just rebuild the cylinders by getting the rebuild kit and taking them apart and honing the walls of the cylinder housing, cleaning it with only alcohol, and then putting it back together. i have a 1950 olds 98, which are the same as the 88 for brake parts. They were all the same until 1960 or 1961 I forget which year. It stops on a dime.