'64 Riv Tire Size

Guest Erlyriv

Guest Erlyriv

Could some one help me on the replacement size tires for the '64 Riv.

Mine currently has P235r 75 15 on it.Local tire guy says should be

P225 r 75 15.

Any Guesses?

Thanks,

Todd

Do you know which wheel you have? I read something this weekend about the '64 coming with two different wheel widths - something like a 5.5" and 6". I don't know if that's true, though. Assuming it is, maybe they shipped with different width tires?

Keep in mind I don't know anything, just rambling...

Someone with actual knowledge will come along soon, I'm sure.

My '64 is getting its new shoes on it today.

-BEP

Hi Todd,

Yes, two different rim widths are possible on your `64. I would bet you have the larger 6 inch rims though. The 235`s are on the big side in terms of stock type tires. The 225`s are an ideal size as they are slightly larger than the original 8:45`s if memory serves me correctly.

Tom Mooney

Guest Erlyriv

Something close, white wall preferred.Didn't know if the 225 vs 235 thing was that big a deal.

The width of the wheel depended on whether or not you ordered the "oversized" tire. The original tire for 63 and 64 was 7.10 by 15. The "oversized" tire was 7.60 by 15. You had to order the option. If you did order the option, it came with the 6" wheel. I think that more cars came with the standard tire than with the "oversized" tire.

The ROA website has a complete conversion chart for changing bias ply tires to radials.

I personally run 225/70R15's on both the 63 and 64, but if I were looking for a more realistic look, I think I'd go with the 215/75R15.

Ed

Hi,

Just a quick note, I recently went tire shopping, and found the diameter of the orig 8.45 was 29 inches I think, and I was looking to see if Goodrich radial TA's would come close. I wanted either 60 or 70 series. and learned a 225 70R 15 is something like 29.1 diamter, or vise versa.

Dale

Open Google and type in "miata tire calculator" in the search window. Find the actual link to it and you can fill in different sized tires - sidewall (225), wheel (15) , series (70) and it will tell you the diameter, etc. You can compare different tires as well. The only thing I haven't been able to find is something that lets you compare the P-metric series radials to the original bias ply sizes.

Ed

That looks really close to what is on the ROA's website for replacement sizing.

I get tire rub on my cars with the 225/70R15 tires when I crank it all the way over. There's a shiny rivet head on the frame on the driver's side :D.

That's why I suggested the 215/75/15 tires. Besides that, I think that there are a number of tire companies who offer a fairly nice whitewall in that size. I don't have whitewalls on either car though.

Ed

I'm in the same boat. Looking to replace the 40 year old bias ply tires on my Dad's '63. I can find tires, but I'm trying to find a radial with the similar style white wall, and not having much luck.

Anyone try the Kumho Solus? I found them in 225/75/R15 and they seem to get decent reviews.

post-75650-143138538309_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim_ (see edit history)