Sign in to follow this  
49 Streamliner

Thermostat for '49

I'm going to replace the thermostat on my 8 cylinder '49 Streamliner. The shop manual mentions a retaining ring. Is that something that is reusable or will I need a new one?

Also, NAPA shows the 160 degree thermostat as part #THM 70. But it looks too small (54 mm or 2 1/8 inches) and easily slips through the called for NAPA

gasket (Part #THM 1038ST) with room to spare.

CPR lists the retaining ring, gasket, and "Original style" 160 thermostat. They

also have a 170 degree thermostat with a gasket for about half the price of the "original style". I'm guessing that the thermostat 62 years ago was different than a modern one, but a modern one of the right physical size and temperature rating would work.

Can someone help me sort this out? Thanks.

Bill

The NAPA part is too small although they say it will work, it does not. The original thermostat was much different, taller, and generally larger.

As I cannot use the original water neck due to clearance issues I am using a SBC water neck, which bolts up, and have invented an adapter plate that will allow the use of a more modern thermostat.

Doing this requires two gaskets, one original between head and adapter plate and one SBC between adapter plate and water neck.

Also, the original thermostat cannot be used with anything but the original water neck as it sticks up inside it quite a ways.

The adapter plate could also be used with the original water neck but allow the use of a modern, cheaper and easier to find, thermostat.

goose-em, Thanks for the info. Do you think a modern thermostat of the correct diameter would work? Being shorter than the original doesn't seem like it should be a problem, unless I'm missing something here.

Bill

If you can find one I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. As long as it is no taller than the original it should be fine, depth also needs to be considered.

Took the thermostat housing off the other day and there was no thermostat in it. I put the housing back on with a new gasket and am able to drive it. I think I'll order the thermostat and retaining ring from CPR.

Bill