Sign in to follow this  
Joseph44

approx value of 54 t-bird 2 dr hrdtp

Goodmorning Everyone I have a question my son came across a 1954 thunderbird excellent shape with the intersepter motor. Can someone give me a ballpark value or tell me where to go to get a price value. Fella wants $ 12,000 has it insured for $ 15,000 78,000 actual miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great wk/nd!!!

They did not make a 54 thunderbird, first in 55. Depending where you are, rust rust and more rust is the first major consideration. Assuming it is a 55, 56, or 57 does it have a top?

soft or removable hard top. The value can change 2-3 grand depending if no top, a single top or both the hard and soft top. Generally 12K would be a good price. restored I have seen them go from 25K to about 40K. Now if it happens to be an E or F bird, lots more. E was a duel carb engine, and the ultra rare F bird was supercharged. Check the vin number and someone will be able to give you more info. Regards Pat

Thanks for the reply 1hooligan my son misspoke it's a 58 t-bird with the intersepter engine. I appreciate the info and will let my son know. Thanks again and have a great wk!!

My pleasure Joe, now the 58 is a horse of a different color. Not up to date on 58-59 birds, but know they are becoming more popular. But based on my opinion, they are high on their price. As just a guess, maybe 5000-6500 tops. Hopefully someone with a little more current values will chime in. Regards Pat

Which engine do you have, the 352 was the standard engine for most of the 1958 run, there is a slight possibility that some 1958 models had the 430 MEL engine installed.

Which engine do you have, the 352 was the standard engine for most of the 1958 run, there is a slight possibility that some 1958 models had the 430 MEL engine installed.

Would be a rather rare 'Bird with a "J" code engine, not to mention a real bear to work on given virtually zero clearances under the hood thanks to the physical size of the MEL block 430. What were they thinking?

Jim

I must appollogies I miss spoke the bird is a 1958 with the intersepter engine I was never a ford fan till I bought my 2000 Exp. Thanks again guys !!!

I must appollogies I miss spoke the bird is a 1958 with the intersepter engine I was never a ford fan till I bought my 2000 Exp. Thanks again guys !!!

No need to apologize for anything.

I'll probably inflame a lot of T-Bird lovers when I say a '58 T-Bird is not the best choice for a younger guy to begin experiencing the vintage car hobby. The fundamental reason being that '58 was a major transition year for Ford engines and though I've had several '58 Ford products, including the '58 Mercury I now have, there was a myriad of on the fly engineering changes made during the first several months of engine production with all '58 V8 engines of the FE and MEL block families. FYI, among T-Bird folks the '58-'60 models are referred to as "Square Birds."

One should be able to pick up a darn nice '59-'60 for between $6,000 and $10,000 and decent project vehicles for a lot less. The '59-'60 models will take you passed the first year issues as the more serious ones were corrected by February '58, nine months into the production year.

Jim

Thanks for that great info Jim I passed that along to my son he said the build on this bird was Feb 1957. Thanks again great info to know. Have a great day !!

Back to square one. With a February 1957 build date, it cannot be a 58 Bird

Back to square one. With a February 1957 build date, it cannot be a 58 Bird

I caught that but figured it was a typo. Production of the '58 model year product should have not begun until after the two week July retooling took place. But given those T-Birds were produced at the then brand new Wixom plant I suppose there might be T-Birds floating around with earlier production dates since retooling was not involved when production of '58 Lincolns began at that plant in April of 1957. It is possible that early production would have included engine block castings done as early as March of '57.

If we had all the info from the Patent plate on that vehicle we could certainly give much better opinion of the vehicle and its value.

Jim

I remember the 58 Fords having the much ballyhooed "police interCeptor" engine which was a 352, a huge increase from the 312 which was the biggest 57 engine. They had to keep pace with Chevy's 348, also new in 58.This was supposed to be the same engine put in police high speed chase cars.

I remember the 58 Fords having the much ballyhooed "police interCeptor" engine which was a 352, a huge increase from the 312 which was the biggest 57 engine. They had to keep pace with Chevy's 348, also new in 58.This was supposed to be the same engine put in police high speed chase cars.

Dave the "FE" series of Ford Engines were indeed introduced in 1958. The basic version was a 332 c.i. medium compression, 4bbl, which was the optional engine for Ford passenger cars. The 352 in 1958 Thunderbird engine was basically the same as that sold as a police interceptor, a rather high compression (10.2:1) 4bbl. A higher compression version of the FE block engine was in Edsels and produced 303 hp. The 312 "Y" block was a dead duck after '57 and the only version of the engine type until discontinued after 1962 production was the 292. In 1963 the 292 was replaced by the 260 and 289 as the basic or entry V8 in both Ford and Mercury cars.

Jim

The production of the '58 T-Birds started late, maybe in January 1958. The '57 T-Bird production run continued to December 13 at Dearborn. Early Ford sales catalogs for 1958 still list the 1957 T-Bird along with the 1958 Fords. This is the reason that the sales of the '57 were roughly 5000 units higher than the first two years and why more of them survived.

Thanks for that info 57Birdman: My son is getting this bird this wk/nd if I can ask you this vehical has no air was there an aftermarket unit that you could buy or what to have ac? Thanks again and have a great wk/nd !!

The 1958 T-Bird was the first to have factory airconditioning as an option. I am sure that the parts are available to add it to the car, for a price. At the time there was also PolarAir, which was a dealer installed system that some people say works better than the factory setup. I would check the 1958-66 T-Bird parts vendors to see what they have available in the A/C line. The good news is that the parts network for those cars is quite good, if not as good as for the early T-Birds. You definitely have more options if you choose not to go with the factory original setup.

Thanks Guys I knew I could count on all the bird guys I really appreciate " all " of your help. Have a great wk guys !!