Stewart Warner Vacuum Tank Fitting

stev1955

Yes old car fan, it is for my Essex. The car was running like this, I've only drove it a couple times since I got it and only for 5-10 minutes before I parked it and started to get it good driveable condition. I don't know how it pulled gas to the vacuum tank. I'm thinking it only ran on what was already in there. Maybe something is missing on the fitting?

Hi John, actually the tube above the hole had a hose attached to it that went up the window channel to, I assume, a wiper motor that is not even there. I'm probably not going to put one on either as I have no plans to drive the car in the rain. I'm going to get an elbow fitting that has the two proper pipe threads to screw into the tank lid and connect to the manifold vacuum tube and not put this fitting back in. I was just curious why this fitting was in the vacuum tank. Thanks.

Although that's different than the fittings in any of Marmon Stewart Warners, The Vacuum Fuel Tank requires a fresh air vent for when the float reaches the full position it allows the vacuum to suck fresh air instead of continuing to pull gas and overfilling, forcing gas into the vacuum line and running rich, very rich. Is there two or three fittings in the lid os your Vacuum Fuel Tank?

Guest stude8

Here are a few diagrams from Stewart Warner and other vacuum tank service booklets that have been posted from time to time on this forum. Maybe one contains data about the device you ask about.

Look at AACA forum post's #238950; 257470; 278976; 295881; 574007; 574184, they all deal with vacuum tank repair tips.

Stude8

post-31139-143138534068_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138534074_thumb.jpg

Sorry I should have posted a picture of the tank itself so attached is a picture before I took it off, although the angle is not right you can see the vent tube sticking up behind the fitting in question. It has a separate vent fitting in addition to the fuel inlet and vacuum connection in the lid with eight screw holes. I don't see anything like it in any literature I've seen so I don't know, plus the hole is cone shaped so it's not like anything goes into it. I'm just going to replace it with a normal elbow. Thanks all.

post-70600-143138534278_thumb.jpg

The Stewart Warner vacuum tank uses a cantilever style mechanism. When the inner tank fills with fuel the float triggers the mechanism and a needle seats into the bottom of this fitting to block off the vacuum. When the float lowers to a certain point the mechanism is triggered to open the vacuum. If the system was totally closed the engine vacuum would be sucking on the needle and prevent it from releasing so the small hole you have pointed out is designed to relieve the vacuum. Have I explained that well enough?

post-41873-143138536388_thumb.jpg

post-41873-143138536404_thumb.jpg

Edited by lozrocks
added attachments (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Steve!

Hope you have had much fun with your fine Essex! Myself, I am just about to finish the restoration of a 1929 with the same body as yours. It´s been a real journey I can tell you. Why I am writing is because I saw your postings on the little T-fitting on top of the Stewart vacuum tank. Didi you solve the problem, or are you still using the same odd fitting? I am asking because I am missing a fitting like that, because I intend to use the vacuum wiper motor which was still in my car. As of now, I only have an angular fitting with a pipe down to the intake manifold.

Would be nice to hear from you!

Rgds, Perpost-33979-143139241445_thumb.jpg

post-33979-143139241438_thumb.jpg

Hello Per. Nice looking Essex you have there. In my case I just got an a proper sized brass elbow fitting and used it instead. The engine vacuum pulls the gas from the gas tank to the vacuum tank very well. I still don't understand how that original fitting was supposed to work (as it was) because you can see right through the hole marked by the arrow to the other side where the line attaches from the intake. That would make the intake vacuum line open to the air. Good luck with your project.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fossiltin62

Gentlemen, I own 7 Essex cars all having this fitting on the vacuum tank (1930-31). I have also been rebuilding vacuum tanks for over 40 years. I'm here to tell you that Stewart Warner knew very well what it was doing when they installed this gadget on their tanks. These tanks (and all others) are not foolproof. It looks as though all of you who have answered this question have agreed that it is useless. Since I do not care to get into a running battle with all of you over this as I don't really care whether you use them or not, and since it takes me forever to type (one finger) I'll be glad to tell anyone who calls me what it is and what it is for. Then you can do your own thing. 580-763-2921, and it's best in the evenings. Also, sometimes my phone can be cussed. Quality item, you know.

Guest fossiltin62

Also,I have a double lifetime supply of these fittings both new and used in brass and in aluminum. If you still need one email me, or call.