49 Plymouth Generator & Back Brake Drum

ply33

You will need a brake drum puller to get the rear drum off. I hear JC Whitney has them. I got mine years ago at a local auto supply.<P>It is a good idea to have the axle nut loosely threaded on the shaft. That way if the drum pops off when it finally breaks free it will not come off the car at you.<P>Also be sure that the brake shoes are backed off. Often it is not the "rusted key" that is holding the drum on but rather the brake shoes.

Mustang -<BR>I believe that you can buy a wheel puller at Gaithersburg NAPA on Russell Avenue. Tod's suggestion to leave the loosened nut on the shaft is essential.<P>Also, the Gaithersburg NAPA has a couple of antique restorers who are very helpful. They are on the Commercial desks. As you probably know, the teenagers behind the counter are less than helpful with anything not in the computer. I think NAPA can get you brushes for the generator. That's the route I'd go first - be sure to clean up the commutator and undercut the sections. If that doesn't work then you can go the rebuilt generator route. grin.gif" border="0

Hi There everybody! I was the one who bought the 49 Plymouth from Derby Kansas. Its a real gem, but like all old cars, it needed a few things. I had a few questions if anybody had any experience in this..<P>My 1949 Plymouth was with a flat head 6 cylinder. It has a generator that basically died out. I know I can find the parts (brushes etc)and everything, I wanted to know how it was rebuilding them or installing new brushes. <P>Another question was the back brake drums. How do you take it off the wheel axle with a key-pin rusted in place? That one I would really like to know.<P>Thank you for your help.<P>Take care an happy motoring!<P>Rich Woodward of Gaithersburg Md cool.gif" border="0