Source for hood liner

I need to find a source for the asphalt mat that is sandwiched between the hood and trunk skin and the underlying framework. Everything I have found is a fiberglass material and that is not correct for my '59 merc. Chevy and others used this same material.

Thanks,

George

Guest Jim_Edwards
I need to find a source for the asphalt mat that is sandwiched between the hood and trunk skin and the underlying framework. Everything I have found is a fiberglass material and that is not correct for my '59 merc. Chevy and others used this same material.

Thanks,

George

The hood insulation would be a fiber glass mat/board similar to that used in the 1950s to make/line household A/C ducts if it's anything like the insulation on my '58 Mercury. The trunk is not the same and is some sort of bituminous type material similar to body panel deadening material.

There are a number of sources for the hood material, unfortunately it will never be correct as there is no possible way to remove the old material and sandwich in new material. All the so called hood insulation replacements just fills the spaces where the old material is visible and requires you cut the old out. If the original material is still intact but has begun to loose it's black color you might just want to consider taping everything off and shooting it with a can of flat black spray paint after you've gotten as much of the dust build up off as possible.

Jim

Guest Jim_Edwards
Thanks Jim,

The material in the trunk is in too poor a condition to do what you suggest and I don't think the fiberglass mat was used in the trunk; just the hood.

George

Whatever the deadening/insulating material in the trunk lid is, it isn't fiber glass. May not even be a bituminous material as I originally suggested. Almost looks like some sort of pressed paper board. In both cases the idea of sandwiching the sheets of material between the metal components of both the hood and trunk lid were not one of Ford's better ideas, at least not for we old car nuts wanting to restore them. But I do have to note the hoods were structurally far better than anything on a GM car of the era which were some seriously cheaply done crap with inadequate strength.

Jim