89 touch screen help plz

wht89reatta

I need a little help figuring out just what exactly is wrong with my touch screen. Most of the time its is dark but when the weather is extremely hot or cold, or it has rained the screen will work just fine. I believe i read somewhere that there is a solder point that breaks and it just needs to be reattached. is this true?

Guest steveskyhawk

This is a common symptom of a bad CRT. Touchscreen actually works perfectly is my guess. Fixing this problem isn't as simple as some wish and may make it sound.

I have good tested used units AND newly OVERHAULED units with a 2 year unconditional warranty. Contact me directly if you wish to solve this problem.

i was actually lucky enough to find one out of a junkyard that works perfectly for only $16. thank you for the info

It must of been a u-pick that you went to. I don't think a single salvage yard would send a guy out to pull a part and sell it for only $16.00.

Good for you and congrats on your resourcefulness...

Guest Mc_Reatta

Consider holding on to your old one or donating it to someone who will, as it can be repaired, and like other electronics in our cars is heading towards unobtainium status.

it certainly was a u-pick yard. the funniest part is that someone had pulled it out and laid it on the seat and i guess they decided they didnt want it. :{D I am going to hold on to my old one just in case this one ever goes bad. thanks again for the info i truly appreciate it.

I got lucky the same way last fall in San Antonio.

I was at a U Pull It and bought two touch screens. I brought them home and neither of them worked. I went back a few weeks later to return them and of course they didn't have any more so I had a credit slip. I knew I wouldn't be coming back soon so I went out in the yard looking to spend my credit on anything. I came across a Toronado that someone had gone to all the trouble of pulling the complete ABS off the firewall and it was sitting loose on top of the engine. I got it for the credit slip ( $ 40 ), brought it home, tested it and sold it. The new owner said it works perfectly.

Guest steveskyhawk

It is no big secret that cars last longer here in the southwest. I consistently find corrosion free Reattas in the local yards. At times I cant determine why they are even there. Sounds absurd but these cars will be crushed within 3 weeks or so. I have found as may as 2 untouched Reattas in one day. I have found 2 1991 models and have brought home as many as 5 working CRTs in one day. Occasionally I strike out and put 100 miles on my pick up truck and bring home nothing. I have yet to see a convertible in a wrecking yard but am certain I will. I compare my parts search to going fishing. Don't always catch fish but it is nice to go down to the lake.

Edited by steveskyhawk (see edit history)