Trans cable adjustment Dynaflow

Guest daidock

Guest daidock

Hi. Me again! On a couple of occasions today the trans hasn't gone into reverse. I've had to jiggle the shift lever a few times to get it to engage reverse. It feels to me like a sloppy cable. Before I confuse myself with the book (!) can anyone give me a simple description of how to check and adjust the cable please? Yours ever hopefully! Dave.

There is no cable on this shifter (or there shouldn't be.) The rod going from the lever connects to a transverse rod that runs under the transmission. From the transverse rod another rod goes to the arm on the transmission. There are no bushings of any kind at any of the points where a rod rotates in a hole. After some time, the rods get a groove in them and the holes become enlarged. You can try to find some bushings to take up any excess play and see if that helps. (I found some transmission linkage bushings from Mr. Gasket a long time ago and got rid of the slop in my '63. Sorry, it's been so long ago, I have no clue of any part numbers.) If you can, put the car on a lift, have someone work the shifter, and see if you can see where the movement of the linkage is going other than to the transmission.

Ed

Guest daidock

Thanks Ed. that was quick! There's me assuming it was a cable. Oops! I'll do as you say Ed. Out of interest, when the selector is in, say Drive, should the shift lever have any forward and back movement? Sorry, but I've nothing to compare it with. Ta. Dave.

Dave,

I think that you can shift between Drive and Neutral without depressing the thumb button.

I got curious and went to Jegs and found what I think was the bushing kit I used. Search for Mr. Gasket shifter bushing kit #11. I think it is designed for Mr. Gasket and/or Hurst four-speed shifters. If it is the one, the bushings are the correct size. $10 at Jegs.

Ed

Guest daidock

I've checked the bushing and all seems ok which is worrying! I'll start a new thread re reverse.