Noisy 30 Dodge DA Speedometer

I've got a pretty annoying hum or buzz in my DA speedometer. I'm sure i's in the head and doesn't make the noise if it is disconnected at the head. Is this a need for lube and if so how do I do it? Will it eventually quit working or will the sound go away with more use? It has 87,000 miles and i'd like to keep the miles actual and hate to disconnect it.

Thank you for your help.

Rod

DSC00873.jpg

Its the teeth grinding worn or wearing out, prob. the original lube is on there that has gone bad or hardened, you could pull it apart and clean and lube it and this is what I would suggest first, if you send it out to have someone to look at it than you will prob. get it back in pieces as the bucket is pot-metal.

Might be cleaning and lubing will not completely take care of the problem but it should help, I would not keep using it as is because you are only making the problem worse. They are not at all difficult to remove and dissasemble.

If you do remove it and clean it be carefull with the date code stamped into the housing, it is some sort of print that can be removed with cleaners

I wouldnt spray anything just inside, I would remove it, ( this is where you need to be carefull because the two little arms that hold it onto faceplate are what often break ) and dissasemble it for cleaning, you will see once you remove the cable from back of speedo that the grease is more like undried spackle. I would clean it carefully and without dipping it in anything with a toothbrush and possibly some brake cleaner or kero.

I would also disconnect the speedo cable from tranny and pull the entire cable out the one end, cant remember which end it was because its been a while, Pay attention where the little washers ect went before you pull cable apart so it all goes back together the same. I would get a can of break cleaner and just flush out the cable armor and clean the cable with the same. Cable will be nothing more than a long spring like deal.

I would then get a can of some premium spray graphite, ( be carefull because it will not wash off yor clothes ) and douse the inside of armor before putting cable back in. Look for a grade of ghraphite that is not so runny in a spray, if you cant find that than cover cable with graphite before putting it back together.

I would suggest calling a place that does speedos ( you can find enough online ) and ask them what they suggest inside of the speedo. I have used molycote in the past myself but I wouldnt bet the bank that this would be the best stuff to use.

Archived