Need Help Identifying Make/Model

Guest btsully

Guest btsully

Hello - I was hoping some members might be able to help me identify the car in the attached photo. It is from a photo in my grandmother's album and the back of the picture says 1946. Based on the plate I'm assuming it is in Europe, but since I know very little about cars that's all I can tell. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post-75353-143138525281_thumb.jpg

It does indeed look like a Ford Prefect

1947 English Ford Prefect | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Note the L plate for Learner. Also, it appears they drove off the end of a lane or driveway, and are in a semi rural location on the outskirts of town past the last factory. Wonder which one of the trio was getting a driving lesson? Possibly the reason for going to an out of the way spot with no traffic.

The license number is a Nottingham registration from the period 1932 to 1963, no doubt issued in 1946 when the car was new. I am taking the 1946 date as quoted from the back of the photo, people often put dates on the back of photos. Some research on English web sites could nail this down as car registrations were specific to a local authority and can be pinned down as to date. The number was issued when the car was sold and first registered and normally stayed with the car for life.

The car looks fresh and new. There were no new cars available between 1939 and 1946 so it must be a 1946 model. And all cars during the war had a band of white paint around the edge of the fenders and body so they could be seen during blackout conditions. The car in the photo does not have that, indicating that it was made after the war.

A new car was quite a rare thing in England at that time, as almost all cars were earmarked for sale abroad under the government's "Export or die" programme. To get a new car the owner must have been an important government official or possibly a doctor or veterinarian, or someone in an essential service job.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest btsully

Thank you all for the extremely quick replies! This is some great info and will be helpful in identifying the three in the photo. Much appreciated!