Reatta brake accumulators

Barney Eaton

There was an article in Street Rodder back in July 2010 about adding ABS to older cars. Pictures showed an accumulator that looks like ours, and I had intended to call the company for more information.

Today I found the article and called ABS Power Brake Inc.

The fellow I talked with claims they have installed their accumulator on Reattas and while it is slightly "fatter" it has no interferrence and works fine.

They have no part number, apparantly it is the only one they use. Their price is $150 plus shipping, which is cheaper than GM but higher than Amazon.com

(I purchased one this week from Amazon at $138 including shipping)

The upside to the one from ABS Power Brake ... they claim they have them "custom" made and they are new. This is one of the areas of concern with the GM parts, they may be new but may have been on the shelf for years.

If you are interested in trying one, here is the info.

ABS Power Brake Inc Orange CA 714-771-6549

If you buy one of their accumulators, give us some feedback.

Hmm,

This looks very promising. Now that I can count myself amongst those owning a Teves equipped car, I guess I should examine this offering more closely. While my brakes are working perfectly for now, I may consider buying one of these as a spare. I will keep an eye on this thread, if anyone does purchase and install one please post here about it. If it is proven to work, I will definitely jump on getting one.

The big question is, who is making these for ABS Power Brake? This is a rather specialized part, there can't be too many outfits equipped to produce such an item. Makes me wonder where they are sourcing it. I also have to wonder why a modern retro-fit ABS system is designed around a first generation setup that dates back over 20 years. Sure, it works but why not base such a setup around contemporary hardware?

KDirk

Guest steveskyhawk

New accumulators are still readily available. Are the threads even the same? Pressure? Is it safe? To save 15 dollars? No thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Snaketiles

This is for Kevin, do you do your own mechanical work? I'm looking for a local mechanic. I have brake issues on an 88.

Snaketiles,

To answer your question, yes I do all my own work (and stunts too!) since I like to know how it all works and make sure it's done right. Saving some money is a nice side effect of doing it all myself. That said, I am not necessarily the person to consult on Teves ABS problems just yet, as I just recently purchased an 88. My first Reatta is a 91, which has a different brake system (Bosch) that I am already familiar with. I will be learning the ins and outs of the Teves setup as I get time to do so, to be prepared for working on my 88. Just haven't acquired all the needed knowledge yet. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board; one of the other nice side effects of Reatta ownership is having one of the best automotive message boards there is.

In any case, if I can be of assistance or you just want to talk Reatta stuff, let me know. Would be nice to deal with someone who shares the obsession I have over these cars, since most people I associate with just don't get it.

KDirk

• 2 years later...

The ABS Power Brake system is very similar to the Reatta system. The Oldsmobile power brake systems in the mid 50's were prone to catastrophic failure. Brakes on minute and nothing the next and it is hard to stop almost 2 tons at 70 MPH. I had one of the ABS power brake systems installed on my 1955 S88 and now I can drive it with piece of mind. It does sound a little funny to hear the system pump up when the ignition is switch on or after applying the brakes. The other nice thing about their system is that you have about 10 stops if the system fails and then mechanical brakes after that.

Guest Snaketiles

I'm sorry, I haven't been on this forum for awhile. I would like to speak with you in general about Reattas. As they seem to be even more rare here in the midwest than other areas.

Guest Snaketiles

Unfortunately, I cannot do anything above bare minimum vehicle maintainence. I can detail very well, and change fluids and tires. That is about it. The mechanics I trust do not want to work on my Reatta.

It was suggested to me to try to replace some relays, which are under the hood near the firewall. I cannot get them out and they are hard to reach. I will be enlisting my brother in law to help. So he may have to get on here and be talked through some things.

• 1 year later...
Guest Kingsley

Just checked the Orange CA listing above and they state that they do have them as above and priced at $195.00 plus tax.

Kingsley Baker

Reatta Specialty Parts