Barn find 1939 Buick

Guest Ken J

Guest outlaw car man

You bet if it's an overhead valve jobby.

Waco, nice plane Mike. Used to fly Colorado in a 1945 restored J-3, 7KW. Soloed in a J-3.

Opp, back to the ground- Xylene or one of those, be very careful on the paint. From unfortunate experience Acetone about 12 years ago.

Keep us posted.

Sandy,

You've got to tell him to pour the kerosene in the valve cover (rocker box) and the MMO in each cylinder. A 1/2 cup/cylinder will do, and when you hit the starter with the plugs OUT, for the first time, be sure and lay an old towel over the engine, or you'll have MMO all over the shop. That' s how we got the "jake" to fire up on our Waco 7 when we bought it from a museum in St Louis a few years ago. Took 3 days of soaking, but we flew it home to Moline Ill.

Ken,

If you really want to strip the oil off you could use Xylene or MEK from the hdwr store, but don't get on any paint, or you'll be sorry. Both are really strong solvents. Then there is always a wire brush, or sand blasting.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
"Since we are talking about 1939 Buicks "

Ken, mate, I'm happy to talk '39 Buicks all day.:D:D:D

It's always nice to see yet another '39 beasty is still out there and that there's another story to be told.

Hello Danny, Mates,

I am really love "I'm happy to talk '39 Buicks all day" attitude. And I wondering if you are still in such mood, as recently I got another 1939 Special Coupe from McLaughlin, and will have a tons of questions when I get to the restoration process closely.

I will create separate topic for my finding a bit later.

Edited by koss (see edit history)

Guest buicks39

hi ken can you post a close up picture of the visor from the middle of the window from underneath if possible.i bought one at a meet and before asking what it was for he said 1940 buick but it looks differant and is not medal.thanks

Hello Danny, Mates,

I am really love "I'm happy to talk '39 Buicks all day" attitude. And I wondering if you are still in such mood, as recently I got another 1939 Special Coupe from McLaughlin, and will have a tons of questions when I get to the restoration process closely.

I will create separate topic for my finding a bit later.

Good on ya koss !!

Can't remember ever not being in a mood to talk about '39 Buicks.

Looking forward to hearing about your coupe.

Danny

I had so much sludge in the pan of my '41 that the oil pick screen was nearly plugged, only about 25% or so was clear. Oil pressure was good, and so were the bearings. This engine had almost 100,000 miles on it, and was in remarkably good shape inside.

Keith

Yep!

We could talk about 39's till the cows come home!

Cheers

Grant

Good on ya koss !!

Can't remember ever not being in a mood to talk about '39 Buicks.

Looking forward to hearing about your coupe.

Danny

We like photos !
Thank you guys! I am in the team39 than ))
Yes :):D

Guest Ken J

Buicks 39

The car is over at my mechanics - not sure when I'll get over there - but when I do, I'll take a bunch of pictures for you - if you want to pm your e-mail address, that may make it easier to send. Hope that works for you.........

Ken J.