Sign in to follow this  
daidock

Access to heater control cables '63 Riviera

I need to get to the heater control cables, at the control lever end, but I'm not clear from the book of the best way to do this. It looks as if I could remove the dash top pad (four screws?) to get to them or do I have to remove the whole control lever assembly? One of the cables has come off it's lever (the temp one). I have peered in there and it looks like they are all missing the spring clip that should secure them on the posts. Many thanks. Dave

Removing the dash pad is the easiest way to get in there and see what you have.

I suspect that your Temp control lever is broken inside the control assembly. This is a common problem on the '63 Riv. Your heater hot water valve under the hood is stuck in it's current position and trying to move it broke the pot metal lever.

I recommend that all '63 Riv owners disconnect the wire that connects from blend door lever to hot water valve. Just manually move the hot water valve to OPEN in the fall and to CLOSED in the spring. Use the Temp knob to move the blend door inside the heater box but not to adjust the volume of hot water going through the core (by moving the valve). This is probably applicable to '63 Rivs with A/C only.

You need to get a heater control unit from a parts car so that you can remove the Temp control lever and transplant it into your current broken assembly. (You need to do a "lever transplant".)

Good luck with it.

Thanks Jim. I'll take the dash top off and have a proper look. You may well be right as the water valve has already been removed from the car so that the core has a constant water supply. Only temp control is via the air flap. Am I right in thinking that if i remove the four screws along the underside of the front edge of the dash pad, it will then lift up or is there further dismantling to do before that? We don't have access to breakers yards for these over here so I hope it isn't broke as i'd have to find a US yard who would send one over (if anyone in the US knows of a yard who will do, this could they give me contact details as I also need a drivers side front grill section that holds the headlamps). Out of interest, why do some cars have both water and air temp controls? Many thanks. Dave.

Four screws are it. There are a couple of spring loaded hooks on the underside that you'll need to get released. Lots of times it's just a matter of wiggling and jiggling to get them to release. See attached pictures

Don't forget when you're looking for replacement levers for the '63 Riviera's heat and a/c controls that the same controls were used on other big Buicks in '63 and in '64 as well. The levers on the left for the heater are the same for a/c cars and non-a/c cars. The '64 Riv however was a year ahead of the other models in its heat and a/c controls.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Cheers Ed. I'll hopefully get in there later today (after the Royal Wedding! No idea what happened to my invite). Dave

Four screws are it. There are a couple of spring loaded hooks on the underside that you'll need to get released. Lots of times it's just a matter of wiggling and jiggling to get them to release. See attached pictures

Don't forget when you're looking for replacement levers for the '63 Riviera's heat and a/c controls that the same controls were used on other big Buicks in '63 and in '64 as well. The levers on the left for the heater are the same for a/c cars and non-a/c cars. The '64 Riv however was a year ahead of the other models in its heat and a/c controls.

So, just 4 screws & a little wiggling removes the dash pad ?? Is it hard reinstalling the dash pad ? What reattaching the spring loaded clips when reinstalling the pad ?? Difficult ?

Much easier than taking it out. The catch on the dash will guide itself into place as you push it toward the windshield.

Ed

Much easier than taking it out. The catch on the dash will guide itself into place as you push it toward the windshield.

Ed

Thanks for the info.

Just done the job. very straightforward. As said, the two clips at the back edge of the pad are spring loaded so you can bring the front edge down and push it back into place. Still damn hard to work on those cables though! They were all intact, just the temp one had sprung off. Soaked the lot in WD40 and all working a lot smoother now. taking that dash pad off gives superb access to the back of the gauges as well, particularly the clock. Pics show front edge of dash lifting and then in the other you can see the two sprung clips (distinctly rusty!) Thanks again.

post-72510-143138525769_thumb.jpg

post-72510-143138525788_thumb.jpg

While you're taking pictures, show us teh steering wheel you have on the car. Wood wasn't an option in '63. Is this an aftermarket wheel or a Buick wood wheel from a 64 - 66?

Hiya. The wheel is a Grant walnut one. I was able to buy that here in UK and had the adaptor sent over from the States. It looks pretty good in the flesh and is styled for the era. I fitted it until I can face trying to restore the original wheel which is in a bad way. Incidentally, when I do eventually get around to it does anyone know where I'd be able to get the four small chrome trim rings that sit on the rim? I'm guessing a breakers yard in the US? It's very hard to keep a car like this original over here. Only source of parts seems to be in the US as there's probably only a handful of Rivs in the UK. Worth it tho'.

post-72510-143138525895_thumb.jpg

D-I feel for you not being close to a wrecking yard. There's a place about an hour north of Dallas that has about a 12 first gen Rivs in various stages of salvage. It's called CTC Auto Ranch in Denton, Texas. Check them out on line and you can even see some of the Rivs. I go up there every few months and the cars are all rough, but some of the trim pieces (steering wheel rings for example) are waiting for guys like you. CTC does most of it's business via shipping and they go worldwide. Ask for Dave. Tell them what you need, they pick it and ship. They are cool, honest and easy to work with. PRL

THANKS for posting this! I attempted to do this awhile back, but abandoned it when the 4 screws were removed but it wouldn't budge. I'm gonna give this another try now that I can see what is holding this in place.

—Chaz

Ditto, thanks. I missed this the first time around and really appreciate the fact that you included good pictures for us to look at. My dash will eventually be replaced and seeing this gets me one step closer.

-BEPNewt

Chaz & Brian,

Let me know how it goes. I've tried a couple times to remove mine with no luck. Still trying to figure out how much force to use without damaging it. I remove the 4 screws and have tugged and pulled in all directions. Maybe i just need to work harder at it. :D

Thanks

Chuck,

Try pushing it toward the windshield some to release the two clips. It will come out, just keep after it. BUT don't use the ol' "If it won't budge, use a bigger hammer" mentality on it. Have you tried removing the glove box door and seeing if you can access the clip on the passenger's side?

Ed

Ed,

That really helped. I found out that those latches had nothing to do with it being stuck. I think it was just years of sun and humidity. It was stuck in the front where the screw mounts were. So I just wiggled it a lot until it started to budge.

Thank you!