Looking for Rear Wheel Puller for a Light Six

Hi,

I'm looking for a rear wheel puller for my 1924 Light Six. I was able to borrow one a while back when I did the brakes, but the person I borrowed from does not live near me and it would be difficult to borrow again. I really need to find one for myself if possible. Would anyone know where I might be able to locate one for purchase?

Thanks,

Dave

PS: This is for the same car in which I had to repair the valve rocker roller. She's been sweet and I've driven her a good 250 miles since the repair. :D

Hi Scott,

Thank you! I'll gladly accept your offer, but will take a quick measurement to be sure it's the same size and not that of the Commander. I'll contact you via email in the next few days. I really appreciate your kind offer. I have some friends in the Antique Studebaker Club and also in the Horseless Carriage Club who might be able to create a new one for me, once they can see this.

Stude8 - thank you for your reply as well! It's good to know there are others who are always willing to help!

Sincerely,

Dave

Dave - I had the following person make a hub puller for me:

George McMurtry from Bayard, Ne.

1605 West 16th Street 69334

303-586-1930

gmcmurtry@embarqmail.com

It worked great for both my '28 and '29 Dictator, one with Wood spoke wheels and the other with wire wheels. If I remember right, it was in the $50-60 range. He had me send in one of the screw on caps so he could match the thread, and then returned it with the product. Heavy duty, and works like a charm. Just a thought. I can include a picture if you would like to see what it looks like.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Wow, decision, decisions! That sounds like a very reasonable price to have one made. If you have a picture, yes, please privide one. Of course, it would be great if it looked like the factory original, but doesn't matter. I just need to be able to pull the wheels off when needed and not rely on others. Right now, I need to tighten the wood wheels. I put new brakes on a few months ago and intended to take care of this at that time, but once they were back on the car, it was too late. Can't get them back off. The car stops great now, but the clacking sound has gotten worse.

Thanks to everyone for your interest and help.

Thanks,

Dave

This is the unit I had a coworker build for $75. I can ask if he is interested in building another. It fits my 1923 Light Six with disc wheels and fits a set of 1922 Light Six spoke wheels I have.

Scott

post-66547-143138525651_thumb.jpg

post-66547-143138525658_thumb.jpg

I had my puller custom fit to one of the hubs I had off. Although there is alot of engagement on a fine pitch thread, having the cinch option is a really good idea to take away all fears of damaging the hub. When you get to pulling hard on a couple of large wrenches, you start thinking about the pressure on the threads. So if you have one built, I would recommend adding Robert's cinch option.

Scott

Hi Scott, I appreciate the information, pictures, and the thumbs up on your coworker's nice work. It's great to know I can have one made! I need to note that in the last few days, I found a Studebaker Club member who lives locally and has a "blank" that he says just needs to have the threads cut on it and it should be good. He's offering it to me at a price I can't resist, and says it just needs the threads cut. (says it's 16 threads/inch). I'll have to find a machine shop to do the work, but may be set. If it doesn't work, I'll be in contact. I really like the "cinch" added to the puller you have.

Thanks again for yours and all the others who have replied!

Dave

Dave,

I check the thread pitch again, but this time used my reading specs when looking at the thread pitch gauge - 16 TPI is correct. My mistake.

Mine is just the straight thread one, Robert has the cool "cincher" design.

Scott

• 4 months later...