Most Underrated Car's

Steve_Mack_CT

OK, following Todd's suggestion here is a thread relating to what you think the most underrated collector cars are. Could be value wise, reputation or simillar. Also any ideas as to why?

Here are a few, but not all that come to mind for me (I tried to hit a few different classes of car):

Lincoln Continental '61-'63 - especially closed; probably the most solidly built, best American product of the 60s. Not unlike the Continental of the 50s, this is a "true collectors" car - that is, if you have an eye for design this car may appeal more than some of the "flashier" cars of the era.

Truimph TR-6 - been prcing these lately and cannot believe the value. A great combinaiton of classic British sportscar, yet fully highway capable (unlike say, an MG T series, as nice as they are) and more reliable if sorted right than their reputation dictates.

Auburn roadsters & convertible sedans - generally valued at a fraction of the famed and beautiful speedster, but really? Against the speedster these are a great value, and as far as open Full Classics go they are a great value.

64 - 66 Mustang 6 cylinder coupes - a great way to get an icon car for small bucks if you don't feel the need to smoke the tires on demand...

What are some other opinions?

The 63-65 Buick Riviera is a car that is underated. It has great styling which has won awards and is considered a milestore car. It is a good driving car with excellent proformance especialy with the GS with dual 4 barrels. The values have risen some but they are still a bargain.

I always thought that the 67-71 4-door (can you say suicide door in this forum?) Thunderbird was a bit below the radar. A bit of a sleeper in terms of performance with the 429 inch - 360HP engine available in later years and top-notch interiors. Not everyone was happy with the 70-71 version with the 'Bunkie' nose, named after then Ford President, Bunkie Knudsen but the '71 in particular was probably the best in terms of build quality. Some of those surviving examples seem to be well taken care of.

I never liked them when new, but times have changed and so have I.

Picture: 1969 4-door Thunderbird

post-67240-14313852305_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uncle_Buck (see edit history)

For 25 YEARS I have always thought pickups and station wagons were severely under rated. People always laughed when I said that they will one day be more rare than ragtops. "No body will ever want a station wagon!" Wagons were discarded as they were considered (like trucks) to be a disposable "tool" without any collectable value and so they were scavenged for the ragtops and 2 doors. Buy an original truck or wagon, sit on it for the next 5 years and you will be thanking me. I have noticed that this trend is slowly creeping into the hobby.... finally!

Even more so are the true survivors of any type. The 3 classes I've mentioned have always been overlooked. I would take an original car over any restored (to any level) car, any time.

There are many trucks that are just beautiful in their lines and design. Some station wagons are so artful that you just have to admire the styling. Original, unmolested cars that have a few scratches and dings, so what? So do I! You can restore a car as many times as you like, but original is only a one time thing. I love my survivor Amphicar and yes I have driven it and taken it out for a few swims. She sits in the Forney museum in Denver (see pic) for all to see. (here is another pic from when West shot her for the AACA calender during her 1st swim in almost 40 years)

post-31565-143138523051_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138523054_thumb.jpg

I gues I'm required to make a case for Crosleys here. I realize that Crosleys were not a "top of the line" car, but there many factors that make them underrated.

1. Limited production: Over the life of the company there were around 80,000 cars made total. Roadsters 2,488 over 4 years. Farm O Roads around 500 over 3 years. Less than 6,000 total pre war cars made over 4 years.

2. Innovation: First Post war production sportscar, first American car with 4 wheel disc brakes. Overhead cam engine in 1946, steel station wagon in 1947, 60 miles per gallon in 1939, winner of the first Sebring race.

3. Scarcity: With a relatively low survival rate (less than 10% of most models) there are not a lot of cars left and even fewer being restored.

As such, the values should be relatively high, however, you can still buy most models of restored Crosleys for under $10,000. An occasional example goes beyond that and some do command a little extra. We have seen some recent gains in recognition, but it still is very unusual to see a Crosley at any car show, much less an AACA show.

Darn, here this was sort of my idea and others already used my best material! Oh well, I have more but will second the other guys points on these:

1. 1961-63 Lincoln, plus I would include later ones too. Here is a car recognized by all as a design milestone yet has never become a big money item.

2. 1963-65 Riviera, ditto on the above comments. I have watched since the 1980s for these to become hot and valuable and they never have. In fact over the years it seems I have seen lots of clean originals at shows, maybe that high survival rate has worked against their being sought after.

3. 1967-71 Thunderbird, ALL Models. Since collectors took interest in 1958-66 'Birds these later ones were snubbed because they were not available as convertibles. I contend that these are powerful, good driving cars that were VERY upscale in their day but have never become a hot collectible.

Funny that all these underrated cars tend to be luxury or near-luxury models, yes?

4. 1967-73 Mercury Cougar, especially 1971-73 convertibles.

5. 1973-77 Pontiac Grand Prix and Chevy Monte Carlo. With their distinctive styling and popularity when new I have been waiting for these to catch on for many years and they never have. I recall in a mid 1970s Motor Trend interview Bill Mitchell himself said he expected these highly styled cars to become a modern classic. I am still waiting.....

6. 1966-94 Alfa Romeo Spider. Steve's comments on the Triumphs all apply here, but with an Italian accent and probably more car. Compared to other small sportscars these had an advanced all aluminum DOHC engine with almost 1 hp per cubic inch, even (I think) in the 1970s emissions era. The body was said to be the last designed by Mr Pinninfarina himself, and has remarkable elbow room and trunk room, and one of the easiest convertible tops ever, even by modern standards. A great car (with qualifications) that is a steal of a buy. The Fiat 124 Spider applies here too, to a lesser degree.

There are many more and I look forward to seeing more comments, Todd C

The 63-65 Buick Riviera is a car that is underated. It has great styling which has won awards and is considered a milestore car. It is a good driving car with excellent proformance especialy with the GS with dual 4 barrels. The values have risen some but they are still a bargain.

I think the same thing could be said for every 1960s luxury car. All of them are undervalued historically and materially. I'll never understand the mindset that makes a '68 Impala hardtop worth twice what a '68 Coupe de Ville or Lincoln hardtop is worth.

I also appreciate the TR6 making the list so quickly. I agree that in terms of styling and performance it should be worth so much more than it is. It is also THE car that probably best endured the approaching safety and emissions standards of the 1970s, with very little difference in appearance and almost NO difference in performance between the first 1969 car and the last 1976. There's not a single other car I can say that about, not even the Corvette or German luxury brands were initially able to keep up performance like Triumph did.

Finally, the MOST neglected cars in terms of value and appreciation are the most recent...., the Japanese sports and sporty cars of the 1970s and 1980s. The 240Z gets some street cred among collectors these days, begrudgingly. However the first Celicas, RX7s, Datsun 1800s/2000s, etc. get no such respect. All are important, and most are VERY attractive! Even the venerated (among street racers) Acura Integra is a bone fide antique these days, and represents a change in the industry similar to what the Mustang and Camaro did in the 1960s. It doesn't even approach the value of the BMWs it competed with, which is unconscionable.

I agree the 61-63 Lincoln Continentals are beautiful cars and the sedans are a real bargain. But what about the 56-57 Continentals, which are one of the cleanest and most elegant designs of the fifties? Even through they bring a fairly high price, I think they are still under priced and somewhat under appreciated.

I think the same thing could be said for every 1960s luxury car. All of them are undervalued historically and materially. I'll never understand the mindset that makes a '68 Impala hardtop worth twice what a '68 Coupe de Ville or Lincoln hardtop is worth.

Yes, perfectly stated. I guess the nostalgia is the thing, as I often say you have to look at what poster was on the teenager's bedroom wall in his formative years. It was more likely a Camaro than an Olds 98.

With that said it will be interesting to see what happens with Japanese imports in the near future. The Datsun Z cars and RX7 WERE on a few bedroom walls circa 1980 and with Gen X coming into collector circles I wonder what will happen. BUT as I said regarding Alfas, there were sports cars desired by some baby boomers that never took off. Poor reliability and service could be an argument here, of course, but parts and service on aging Japanese cars is often no picnic either, at least in the midwest. We will see.

Actually it is funny that small sports cars in general are all somewhat underrated. These cars are LOTS of fun, and they are convertibles, which collectors usually value at a premium, but the values are miniscule and not really picking up IMO. Todd

Whoah, Al,

I've never thought those were under rated. And, as you said, not anymore... not with prices in the $400,000 range. (Maybe over rated, now??)

Not any more I guess. I wasn't really thinking about the speedsters so much but go back about 10 or 12 years and you paid about 65k for a conv coupe and a decent speedster could be had for 120k.

The other two that I thought were undervalued for years were the Packard Caribbean & the Packard Darrin. Again, maybe not so much anymore.

I agree with poci1957 about the '73-'77 Pontiacs I would add the Buick Riv's of that era but not so much the Monte Carlos. The Grand Prix's of that time really lit my fire and I thought we had finally let the design people out of the boxes they were in. But alas the late '70's and 80's pretty much killed off all but a very few true visionary stylists in the industry. Then everyone could buy a bland box in the color of their choice but a bland box all the same. Mark

With the mention of the Rivieras and 60's luxury cars in general, one that I think has also been sadly over looked is the early Olds Toronados.

'66 through '70 models can still be had for a fair price.

The first mass produced US built front drive car since the Cord & won many awards it's first year in production.

Without the Toronado, (and FWD Eldo) leading the way, FWD may not have been refined until much later on.

Edited by Sweepspear (see edit history)

Step down Hudsons, Especially 1948 &1949 Supers and Commadores. These, in a first Junior grade, can be bought for $15k Wasps in a first Junior grade, for 10% less. Hornets are a bit more due to CARS publicity. Upper mid priced car for less than a Plymouth.

Guess I can throw my hat in the ring on this one with the Studebaker Avanti. It is a great car to drive and had many US engineering 'firsts' like disc brakes as standard equipment, a built in roll bar and a fiberglass body made from 100+ pieces glassed into one. They also set many speed and endurance records when new and I believe Andy Granatelli still holds a few of the Bonneville salt flats numbers in an Avanti.

Yet throughout the 1990's and 2000's they remained a car stuck at about $9K for a good driver (#3-3+)and maybe $15K for a really nice restoration. Only recently have I seen the bar move on them with some nice supercharged R2's cracking the $20K mark.

Of course I may be a little prejudiced as mine is the car I inherited , got involved in the hobby with, and still call 'my little red_go_like_Hell_car' that I love to drive. Always thought they are a little under respected, just my opinion of course.

I think readily available parts have a lot to do with the cheaper cars as there were more of them produced.

Finally, the MOST neglected cars in terms of value and appreciation are the most recent...., the Japanese sports and sporty cars of the 1970s and 1980s. The 240Z gets some street cred among collectors these days, begrudgingly. However the first Celicas, RX7s, Datsun 1800s/2000s, etc. get no such respect. All are important, and most are VERY attractive! Even the venerated (among street racers) Acura Integra is a bone fide antique these days, and represents a change in the industry similar to what the Mustang and Camaro did in the 1960s. It doesn't even approach the value of the BMWs it competed with, which is unconscionable.

I could almost say the same about these cars as stated above, but the fact is...Have you looked at us lately? :confused:

Me anyway. :eek:

We don't fit into these vehicles anymore. I had a fellow in Florida tell me he had to sell his Model A. He couldn't get his foot through the door frame anymore. My youngest son, a small fellow, if you have ever seen Mike, just smiles at me everytime I get into a small antique car. He smiles when I eat my Klondikes!:confused:

"Hey, what U looking at?":mad:

He just smiles and knows that someday he'll have a nice driver and won't even have to work at getting it.:rolleyes:

Wayne

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest billybird

68&69 AMC Javelin and AMX. Good performance, sporty looks, much more affordable than Mustangs and Camaros of the same vintage. Also will turn heads at a car show because you don't see very many of them.

We don't fit into these vehicles anymore. I had a fellow in Florida tell me he had to sell his Model A. He couldn't get his foot through the door frame anymore. My youngest son, a small fellow, if you have ever seen Mike, just smiles at me everytime I get into a small antique car.

Hmm...so by this logic maybe the undervalued cushy luxury car is due for another look from larger collectors--and I guess I mean that literally! :)

The only problem is we did not enjoy them before $4 gas came back!

All good arguments!

A couple more - Duesenberg Model "A"; agree on '56 - '57 Continental and would also say same for the original Lincoln Continentals, especially closed. (Shhh - don't tell the other Packard guys I am such a Lincoln fan...)

Also any number of contemporaries of the Ford Model A that are larger, more powerful and/or more interesting but sell for same or less money. (Had an A for a long time but from time to time I see cars out there that I think you would be crazy not to buy instead of an A.)

Uncle Buck and friends, let's save overrated for another thread please!!! :)

Thanks!

Keep em' coming - I am sure there are more...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
Uncle Buck's comments scared me! (see edit history)

I agree with Steve, my opinions of over rated/over hyped cars have gotten me in trouble here before (TV auctions anyone?) ;)

But a few under-rated Pontiacs, if I may:

1957 Pontiacs. After decades of hype Bonnevilles and convertibles are worth big money but regular 1957 Pontiacs are not. And compared to a 1955-57 Chevy a 1957 Pontiac is more and better of everything. One look at the quarter panels and taillights of a 1957 Star Chief should make one forget Chevys ever existed.

1962-64 Grand Prix. These are somewhat popular with Pontiac people but not the wider market--an oversight. They have their faults but have to count as one of the best looking big cars ever and when new the 1963 styling was mentioned in the same breath as the Lincoln Continental and Buick Riviera. You get a 4bbl 389 like a GTO and a beauty of a bucket seat and console interior, great cars!

I don't know how recent you want to go on underrated cars, but consider 1988 to 1991 Buick Reatta. Only 25000 made. Have an excellant drive train 3.8 Buick v-6 delivers ample power, comfortable sporty ride with plenty of room for two and luggage.

Still supported well with replacement parts [both aftermarket and used].

Almost criminal how cheap one can get into the car for...

Mercedes SL convertible, 1972 - 88. They made an awful lot of them and you can still buy a good one for less than a new Hyundai.

This may be the last car made with a real engine, real chrome, real leather, and real steel.

You may not be able to buy a good Duesenberg, 57 Tbird convertible, Mercedes Gullwing, or Jag XKE off craigslist or kijiji but you can a Mercedes SL.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Any station wagon that is not a woody, especially the '56 Ford Parklane and the '60 Ford Country Sedan. '48-56 Packards. Hearses. I would consider the '62 Grand Prix the most desireable of all Grand Prixs. It definitely was the best looking. I remember when my brother kept trying to interest me in a '57 Chevrolet. Told him, no dice, I wanted a '57 Pontiac. Bought one, kept it two weeks, traded it for a Ford convertible and have been a Ford fan ever since.

Guest Kingoftheroad

Speaking of wagons, the Sedan Delivery of varying year, make, & model is over looked.

Some of the wagons are cool. Saw a '56 Pontiac 2 dr wagon in black & turquois blue and after market wheels. It was a sweet ride

Guest 34ACD

Since a couple of my cars have been mentioned I can't help but add my 2¢.

'34-'36 Auburn Convertible sedans (phaetons). I have a '34. I agree that in its day it was a very underrated car—$1200 for a smooth, powerful 8 cyl with dual ratio rear end and swoopy ACD styling. It remains a great car even today if you want a true classic era automobile for driving, but underrated? Not undervalued anyway.

'73-'89 Mercedes SL (107 bodies). I have a '77. For the dismal 70's I agree it was a pretty decent car. But it is heavy, gets poor mileage and is hardly a sports car. In fact, if you look at the evolution of the SL series, what came before and what came after the 107's were much better cars for their time. Yes you can find them today for a lot less than the 230 to 280 SL series, but the 107's were basically semi-sports cars with sedan drivetrains that did not break any new ground. That and the fact that so many were built over so many years will never raise them to collectible status in my opinion.

I have to agree that the step-down Hudsons are truly underrated, or at least under appreciated. They broke new ground for suspension, styling and power after the war and even had considerable success at the race track. How many other production sedans can say that?

I would also add the early 50's Lowey Studebaker Coupes. Put them next to their contemporary's from Ford, Chrysler and GM and they really stand out.

Any 1970's Lincoln or Imperial/New Yorker. These are even more underappreciated than the 1960's luxury cars. You can pick up a very nice one for $3,000 and are very hard pressed to get more than $6,000 for them. You can't even buy a decent 10 year old daily driver for that. These cars represent the best of their era, yet are only berated for gas mileage and size and called dinosaurs. Even though gas mileage and size are not much different than their 1957-69 versions which do not get these comments.

My vote goes to 1975-79 Seville. 1971-76 Coupe de Ville. And one of my favorites 1977-1984 coupe de Ville & Fleetwood Brougham coupe. I have been watching Hemmings for about a month now on one particular car, a 1979 2dr Deville Special Edition Phaeton that is all original cherry burgundy with red leather interior and about 83K miles that really looks mint. Now if only I had more room, and only $7,900 asking or best offer.

A couple of years ago a friend and I were at a pick your part in the L.A. harbor area and a pristine 78 Coupe de Ville comes by on a forklift and was set down, we looked at each other in disbelief!! after which a army of people trailed behind and then engulfed the car. It was stripped in a matter of minutes. This car also had red leather interior and those people just tore the leather door panels off to get to window lifts and switches and speakers. Just made us sick.

Another car I would add is Infiniti M-30's and first generation (rocketship) Q45's and many other Nissan/Datsun cars especially the first generation PL510, also the best looking truck the PL620 (Lil Hustler) and ( Hardbody) D-21's.

Don

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I think readily available parts have a lot to do with the cheaper cars as there were more of them produced.

I could almost say the same about these cars as stated above, but the fact is...Have you looked at us lately? :confused:

Me anyway. :eek:

We don't fit into these vehicles anymore. I had a fellow in Florida tell me he had to sell his Model A. He couldn't get his foot through the door frame anymore. My youngest son, a small fellow, if you have ever seen Mike, just smiles at me everytime I get into a small antique car. He smiles when I eat my Klondikes!:confused:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend of mine has a 1932 Auburn 160A Phaeton conv. sedan V-12. One day at his house after a local AACA meeting a bunch of us were looking at his collection. I asked if I could sit in the drivers seat. I could not raise my legs high enough to get on top of the clutch and brake pedals, my knees in my chest and guess what?? The seats do not adjust! My 64 & 65 beetles have much more leg room.

Don

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Guest Kingoftheroad
Any 1970's Lincoln or Imperial/New Yorker. These are even more underappreciated than the 1960's luxury cars. You can pick up a very nice one for $3,000 and are very hard pressed to get more than $6,000 for them. You can't even buy a decent 10 year old daily driver for that. These cars represent the best of their era, yet are only berated for gas mileage and size and called dinosaurs. Even though gas mileage and size are not much different than their 1957-69 versions which do not get these comments.

That surprises me cause I'm a big fan of the mid to late 70s Continental & Town Car.

A friend of mine has a 1932 Auburn 160A Phaeton conv. sedan V-12. One day at his house after a local AACA meeting a bunch of us were looking at his collection. I asked if I could sit in the drivers seat. I could not raise my legs high enough to get on top of the clutch and brake pedals, my knees in my chest and guess what?? The seats do not adjust! My 64 & 65 beetles have much more leg room.

Don

:D That's when the Phaeton becomes a closet coupe. :eek:

Re-securing the seat towards the back about a foot into the rear seat area would be the remedy. Authenticity be darned. I'd be driving that wonder!:)

Wayne

A couple of '70s cars come to my mind.

76 Chrysler Cordoba. Because my first girlfriend owned one....

77 Pontiac Can-Am. Limited production, 400 engine, shaker hood scoop.

77-79 Pontiac Trans-Am. Starting to perk up a bit now, after years in obscurity. Not only the "Bandit" SE versions, but the nice blue ones as well. WS6 equipped of course.

That surprises me cause I'm a big fan of the mid to late 70s Continental & Town Car.

Me too, because these cars were the end of an era. But look on Ebay and you will see most go unsold. A few are ridiculously priced, but most are decent cars for low prices, and they just don't sell. I got mine for almost half price after it sat for months after an estate sale. There are fewer Imperial/New Yorkers for sale, but they still do not sell, or command any money.

Most 1970's luxury, full-size, non-pony/muscle mid-size, and personal luxury coupes sell for pretty much nothing. Cadillacs and Buicks seem to fair a slightly better than Ford and Chrysler products. But I still think these are the most underappreciated cars on this list. You can buy mint ones for less than half or even 1/4 of what all the other cars in this thread sell for.