FAN WON'T TURN OFF

Guest Michael Minnie

Guest Michael Minnie

WENT TO PUT MY REATTA ON THE ROAD THIS WEEK AFTER USUAL WINTER STORAGE .FROM LAST SEPT. AND WOULD NOT START. DEAD BATTERY WOULD NOT TAKE A CHARGE . BOUGHT NEW WAL-MART BAT.CAR STARTED RIGHT UP.THOUGHT I SAW SOME SMOKE IN BACK OF ENGINE . COULD NOT TELL WHERE IT CAME FROM. EVERYTHING SEEMED TO WORKING OK BUT THERE WAS AN OCASIONAL MISS THAT WAS SOMETHING NEW. A MECH FRIEND OF MINE PUT HIS CODE READER ON THE CAR TO TRACK DOWN THE MISS .HIS READER LISTED MULTIPLE CODES AND HIS READER WOULD SHUTDOWN AND REREAD THE CODES OVER AGAIN AT THE SAME TIME THE DASH WOULD GO OFF AND COME BACK ON. IT STILL SEEMED TO RUN OK EXCEPT FOR THE MISS. I TURNED THE CAR OFF BUT THE FAN WOULD NOT SHUTOFF EVEN WITH THE FUSE PULLED . FINALLY PULLED THE LEAD OFF THE FAN MOTOR TO SHUT IT OFF. DROVE IT HOME THIS IS A 1990 CONV. WITH A 106000 MILES WHAT WAS THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM AND IS THERE A REMEDY. THANKYOU MIKE

Guest Mc_Reatta

It's your blower fan control module. Common failure.

Can be purchased new or used. It was used on any number of GM vehicles.

There are several models available. Make sure you get one with 2 pin and 4 pin connections as in the following ebay post. You can use either the older style with a black module on the heat sink, or the one with the power transistor visible. If you go used try to find one that has been tested and or with a warranty of some sort. If they're used and cheap, get several if you can, as old ones can be high turn over due to the heat and amps they handle.

Here's a listing and photo off ebay: It lists all the cars that it was used on,

85-93 BUICK OLDS CADILLAC BLOWER MOTOR CONTROL MODULE | eBay

It's located on the firewall on the passenger side in the engine compartment by the evaporator inlets and outlets.

A little tough to get to and replace as space is tight especially if you have larger hands, but just three screws and 2 connectors once you get to it.

Keep using the fan connector to control the fan as needed until you can replace it. The fan will drain the battery fairly quickly.

While it is out, you might want to check the evaporator compartment for dire and debris and clean if necessary.

There are lots of posts on this topic and how to clean that tight area.

Check this thread for lots of info:

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/very-little-air-output-vents-panel-248271.html

Guest steveskyhawk

This is a common failure. I always will opt for new parts when they are available. In this case new is easy to find. Why risk the possibility of doing the job twice and killing the new battery?