Hello, I am restoring a 1914 Metz (not the original one in the youtube video, another one) and I am going to run factory wire wheels. I am going to be buying tires (30" x 3 1/2") soon and wanted to know if anyone has opinions about the non-skid tires. They are about twice as much as the Wards tires at Lucas, which I am sure I will be happy with, but is there any advantage to getting the non-skid type, other than they just look way more cool? I have heard that non-skids do not give as smooth a ride... fact or fiction? Thanks for any input or advice. I am also going to be getting the tubes and flaps as well. Thanks, Michael

Michael-- If you are going to show your car nothing beats the looks of non skid treads. They are hard to clean but really gives the snap to the show. If you are going to drive or tour your car the tread has a tendency to wear faster than an alternate tread. Also the driving impact regarding the ride is fiction IMHO. I had a pair of 30x3 non skids on the front of my '15 "T" for years and outside of the wear pattern they looked "neat" and rode good. ---Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for the input, especially putting to rest the rumor of the ride. I don't know if the car will be show worthy, but it will be nice... I guess I will have to think about the extra expense for "cool" versus the money spent elsewhere on the car. Thanks again, Michael

Like Michael, I have found that they do not wear well, The rear tires on my Stanley are about worn out with less than 1000 miles. Go for a more coneventional tread design that has more rubber in contact with the road for better wear.