6v pertonix on a 1931 8-57

Guest buicker

Guest buicker

Has anyone tried using the pertronix on a 6 volt system? I measured the voltage while cranking and its about 5 volts I dont want to buy one if the voltage is not enough to work with it. I have read a bit about them and they seem kind of hit or miss. I still use the dual point set up but I have a few set screws that are rounded off so I thought the pertronix might be more reliable down the road with less moving parts?

When I had the 41 Buick Century I used the 6 volt petronix and it worked well...it was though specifically designed for a range of Buick years as a drop in replacement . I'm not sure if anyone is making it for your particular distributor.

While it is not a Buick, we have run a 6 volt Pertronix in our '41 Packard for years. We ran the Great Race cross country in 2005, and several Hemmings Challenges over the years. the only problem was when I left the ignition switch on with the engine not running. Bad news! Had to replace the unit (that was in 2008).

Why not call Pertronix and ask about the voltage? I have always found them helpful.

We also run Pertronix in our '56 T-Bird (2006 and 2007 Great Race) and will run Pertronix in our '31 Buick Racer in the Great Race this year. We will run a Pertronix II in the Buick because it automatically shuts off if you turn the ignition on without starting the engine. The Pertronix II is only available for 12 volt, however.

Pat

You would need to replace the distributor with a later one that has an 8 lobe cam. The 31-32 distributors had 4 lobe cams with one set of points firing the even number cylinders and the other set firing the odd numbers.

A straight pertronix install will yield a 4 cylinder engine.

Guest buicker

I called pertronix and they did not give much help. I think they will say it works on anything or I could call back and get another tech i guess. I just need to find some set screws for the new breaker points I have and I will keep it points. The voltage I dont think would be strong evough to power the unit anyway and I inquired about using maybe a transistor to boost it up to at least six volts when cranking. They just were a bit to quick to agree with me so that always makes me nervous when trying something new. Plus the idea of the dual point distributor not being compatable does make sence to me too, so thanks for the input.