Headlamp motor electrical question

Guest jwin

I've been trying to trace a right headlamp motor malfunction for a few hours now. Left headlamp works fine. The right motor won't actuate. I hooked it up to the left side connector, and it works, so it's not the motor. I have power at the bottom of the junction box (orange/black wire), so it seems to be either an open in the dark green or grey wire from the right motor to the headlamp module, or the module itself. Can it also be the orange/black wire from the junction box to the module? The shop manual states that if this wire is open, neither headlamp should work. Any help?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Seems like it's probably going to turn out to be the module.

Power is supplied to the module by the orange and orange/black wires on pins B and E. These are fused by two fuses in the underhood relay center which I will assume you have checked.

I assume you have an 89 by the the wire colors. The orange/black should be the one for the right headlight. The signal to raise the lights comes either by the headlight switch via the yellow wire pin C, or the headlight door switch a yellow/black wire on pin A. Power on either of these will cause both sides to rise so they should be OK since the left works.

Best bet would be to check the orange wires at the connector to the module for 12 volts, and then check for an open wire in the green and grey wires to the motor. Easy way to check this is to measure the resistance of the green and grey wires at the module connector with the motors connected. There should be a definitive reading. If you don't get a reading one or the other wire is open. Should be about the same for both headlight motors.

Too bad the module is a PITA to get to.

Any particular points in the green and grey wires that are more common to have problems before I go digging through the harness? Also, it seems as though I may need to remove the radiator to get full access to that portion of the wiring harness. Am I right on that?

Too bad the module is a PITA to get to.

You weren't kidding. Shop manual said the module is right under the under hood relay box. True, but they neglect to mention that to get any decent access to it you need to remove the relay box AND the air filter housing, AND probably the windshield washer reservoir to have enough room to really get to the harness. (Not blessed with small hands)

Alas, I think I may have found the problem. I found some very suspect corrosion peeking through the insulation of both the orange/black power wire to the module AND the grey wire from the module to the motor connector. (both wires have bad kinks where the corrosion is. The air inlet tube had become dislodged from the frame (behind the left headlight), and was pushed back onto the unprotected wires at the headlamp module connector. Kinked a few of the wires pretty good. Thanks for all the help! I'll drop back to confirm if it fixes the problem.

I think you are on the right trail with a kinked wire. I had a headlight pop up problem on the right [passenger] side of my Black [it's always the Black with issues]. Turned out to be a bad splice in the wire. [A previous owner had not routed the wires correctly at the headlight and they had broken at one time. He used butt connectors, I soldered/shrink tubed it and all is good].

The Black is the car that I am learning on, the Red is the "good" child.