1930 Wood Spoke Wheels

stev1955

I would like to get the brake drums turned on our '30 Essex and it appears the wood spokes are held against the hub by the drum bolted to the hub. Will the spokes come loose if the bolts are removed and the drum is lifted off? Is there anything to know when getting the brakes redone on these cars? Thanks.

The wood spokes should not be affected by removing the drum. The bolts may be peened over on the nut side and may have damaged the threads. If so, you may have to replace a few, so be ready for that. The drum may have to be pried off the spokes. It would help to drive the bolts toward the front with a punch if necessary.

Thanks oldford. Yes the bolts are peened over as you say, the first time I saw the inside of the drum I thought it was riveted on. After I back the nuts off it does look like a good idea to drive the bolts out through the front of the hub. I wondered what held the spokes in but I guess as long as your just removing the drum and not separating the spokes and hub all should go well. I'll be doing it soon thanks.