The Cars you Hate and the Cars you Love

Guest S_A_W

Don't really hate any old car. I consider myself sort of a Father Flanagan type personality when it comes to old cars. (To paraphrase the heroic priest, "There's no such thing as a bad old car.") Unlike the good Father, though, my opinion may be founded in ignorance. 😄

Some old cars are a little on the goofy side, like the King Midget or Crosley, but I'd still like to have either. Cushman scooters, OTOH, are just a little beyond the pale in goofiness for me to consider owning.  Some old cars are just silly, like some of the Zimmers. The one based on the Fiero however (Quicksilver, I think it was called) was rather cool looking. Again, I wouldn't mind having one of those.

The only things that brings me close to hating an old car is either an outrageous price/valuation or consistent breakdowns, in that order. That being said...I'd still like to have a Yugo!🤪

• Like 1

Based purely on aesthetics I like the vast majority of what I consider "older" cars which for me is anything made prior to the mid-70's with a few exceptions. The small boxy cars like the early Corvair or the Renault 8 or 10 are cars that are very unattractive in my eyes. The pinnacle of bad automotive styling (and power) was late 70's thru 80's boxy cars, think Ford Fairmont, Plymouth Fury or Chevy Caprice. 

Cars I really like: 1933-34 Ford, 1939-40 Ford, 1957 Chevy, 1957-59 Studebaker Hawk, 1959-60 Chevy Impala, '63 split window 'Vette, 1967-69 Mustang Fastback, 1970-71 Plymouth Barracuda/Dodge Challenger.

• Like 1

The cars I love are second gen Trans Ams. No, I dont have a mullet, but pretty sure I did at one time😁, all I need to do is get the old leisure suit back from the dry cleaners. Cars I hate (that is a big word) would have to fall into the category of personal experience. My GF in HS had a 72/73sh 4 door maverick. THAT car was a genuine pos. Dont know if I can say I hate them, but it would have to be the last car left on earth before I would consider owning one. And I know I will get flamed, again I dont hate but I dont understand the love for the VW bug. My oldest brother was a bonified hippie. All he drove were VW's, bugs and vans. They were all bad cars. Had to push them to get started, no heat, etc. They were pretty much throw away cars at that time. He would run one for awhile until it crapped it then get another. (this was the late 60's early 70's, I would bet the cars he was buying were at least 10yrs old, I am sure they all would be highly collectible now. I know he had a couple of vans but I dont remember any with all the windows)