The Cars you Hate and the Cars you Love

If all you care about is reliability, you have your choice of thousands of uninteresting blandmobiles.

Not really. That's like saying pretty girls can't be smart, it's not an either/or proposition.

Presently my brother is in the process of buying a new Camaro. I've been trying to get him to look at the new Mustang as well (mainly for the better gas mileage), but he's too wed to GM to set foot in the dealership. (I guess there are still people like that left today!:rolleyes::) ) Both cars have exemplary reliability ratings, and I doubt anybody would call either one "blandmobiles".:cool:

I've always liked the 74-78 Matador coupe and the Pacer which a lot of people don't like.
I bought one of these in 1978, a year old. And although it was a lemon, I always liked it. I sold it in great condition for $800.00......... I wish I still had it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=85909&stc=1&d=1303416654

Patrick Foster's book The Last Independent laid the demise of AMC squarely at the feet of this car. It cost a fortune to tool and sold very poorly, and left only enough money to do a quickly retrim on the 4-door that didn't work. AMC made a profit on the Pacer, but lost their shirt on this one.

Personally I never liked it, and I came from an AMC family. (I learned to drive on and owned two 1969 Ambassadors.) From certain angles it's appealing, but from others (especially from any high angle) I find it bloated looking.

Not really. That's like saying pretty girls can't be smart, it's not an either/or proposition.

You are missing the point. No one said an attractive car can't be reliable. You commented that some people picked the cars they love/hate based on reliability, and others based it on looks. My comment is if reliability is your only deciding factor, there are thousands of uninteresting or even ugly cars that are reliable. That isn't going to make me love them if that is their only redeeming quality. I'm not going to buy or drive something ugly or even bland just because it's reliable.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Always an interesting and potentially dangerous topic due to passions involved both for and against any given make. Will keep my dislikes to myself as this is akin to judging another man's wife...

What I do look for though, in a collector or daily driver are three things - aesthetics are key for me, but the car has to be mechanically competent and preferably a little special, and I look for models that are original in design, or not clones of another make. Recently replaced my CTS with an Audi - very different car but not a clone of another make. Audi was a leader in AWD, has solid performance and luxury for it's class and has it's own style, not someone elses. Same with the Packard; may not be a top model but Packard did not follow other makes in terms of mechanics or style.

If I had to rank these attributes I guess I do need a car to be appeallng style wise to even consider it but I would have a hard time loving something though, that stranded me regularly.

What about underrated cars? I can think of several that amze me in terms of their reasonable prices, but sometimes this is due to strong survival rates. 1st gen. Mustang, 61-63 Lincolns, MGB/TR6, certain pre-war mopars (equal or better quality than Ford/GM but lag price wise) would be on my list there. Any others with simillar lists?

Clearly one man's trash is another man's treasure!

What about underrated cars? I can think of several that amze me in terms of their reasonable prices, but sometimes this is due to strong survival rates. 1st gen. Mustang, 61-63 Lincolns, MGB/TR6, certain pre-war mopars (equal or better quality than Ford/GM but lag price wise) would be on my list there. Any others with simillar lists?

Sounds like a great idea for a new thread Steve, I have a few ideas. Start it up and lay out how to define underrated (be it prices or popularity or both) and I will be there! Todd

well there is a lot of cars out there that have desige flaws,, the original Neon's where bad for head gaskets,, I have an olds with a 3800 series 2 engine and have blown up two motors due to sudden a sudden coolent leak from the EGR tube melting through the plastic intake into the coolent passages, i now have stainless steel pipe JB welded into the intake, and have blocked off my egr tube. How about the cars that are a nightmare to service, like who engineers these things,, like changing a powersteering pump on an Audi TT takes 6 hours.. you have to remove almost the complete front end of the car.. not like taking the pump off a GMC pickup, Or who came up with the idea of hiding the water pump inside the front covers?? or the best Who would put a starter under the intake manifold... no wonder so many cars end up in the scrap yards,, the cost to repair is nuts...

Patrick Foster's book The Last Independent laid the demise of AMC squarely at the feet of this car. It cost a fortune to tool and sold very poorly, and left only enough money to do a quickly retrim on the 4-door that didn't work. AMC made a profit on the Pacer, but lost their shirt on this one.

I can understand why they lost their shirt on this car. No matter what anyone said, these cars were well built. The crushed velour interior alone was the most plush I've ever seen on any car I've ever owned along with all the fancy badges and details. I seen one at the Macungie car show last summer and it brought back some memories........

Guest my3buicks
I can understand why they lost their shirt on this car. No matter what anyone said, these cars were well built. The crushed velour interior alone was the most plush I've ever seen on any car I've ever owned along with all the fancy badges and details. I seen one at the Macungie car show last summer and it brought back some memories........

I used to carpool with a fellow that had a 78 brown Barcelona edition( car would have been about 2 or 3 years old) - once in a while if his wife would meet him after work I would drive it home. It drove, felt and looked like a bloated fish with big eyes, and I was actually embarrassed to be seen driving it. I can remember also that it really sucked down the gas. As far as the plush interior, it looked beaten and old at that young age in a rather well cared for car.

I used to carpool with a fellow that had a 78 brown Barcelona edition( car would have been about 2 or 3 years old) - once in a while if his wife would meet him after work I would drive it home. It drove, felt and looked like a bloated fish with big eyes, and I was actually embarrassed to be seen driving it. I can remember also that it really sucked down the gas. As far as the plush interior, it looked beaten and old at that young age in a rather well cared for car.

Different opinions, I suppose.:rolleyes:

I had to think a minute as to whether there was any car that I actually hated, and then remembrances of the 1963 Chevy Nova 4 door post sedan my now ex-wife owned when we got married came to mind. Not only was it ugly beyond belief boxy car with unimaginative styling, it was a total piece of junk that constantly dripped fluids even after gasket and seal replacements, was grossly underpowered, brakes were almost noneffective, and when it rained the S.O.B. leaked in places I never knew a car could or would leak. To this day I wouldn't consider giving anyone a warm bucket of spit for one of those cars, even if it were in 1963 showroom condition.

I'd have a heck of a time trying to pin down all the cars I tend to love......Just too many of them with valid reasons to be loved and adored, many more of them than I'll ever be fortunate enough to own.

Jim

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

Personally I never liked it, and I came from an AMC family. (I learned to drive on and owned two 1969 Ambassadors.) From certain angles it's appealing, but from others (especially from any high angle) I find it bloated looking.

To make matters worse they designed the sedan and station wagon totally different. My brither bought a 74 wagon which was a dog that died before it was paid for.

I think the '63 - '67 Vette & the '61 Jag XKE are two of the best looking cars made.

I really dislike the Aztec & Prius.

I can understand buying a reliable car that maybe boring or below average in the looks & styling dept if your in need of good transportation.. Although, I'd be hard pressed to buy an Aztec or Prius even for just daily transportation, ugly..

I only hated one car - a "blandmobile" 2001 Saturn. My mother bought it for my wife (ex now). She called to say "your mother bought me a car". Well what is it, dear, I asked. I'm not sure but its a really pretty maroon color. Darn thing left me broke down almost as much as my MG did (yet I loved that car). I was very dissappointed in the last duesenberg I rode in. Felt like a truck compared to the Marmon Sixteen. I never owned but still look longingly at both the Matador and the Vega but no car makes me pine away like the microcars, Fiat 500, Isetta Franschini and Messerscmitt are dream cars for me and if I want to look cool in the USA, I pull out the Caddy convertible. Nothing says compensation like the standard of the world.

I once owned a car, where there was a love/hate relationship. It was my first car, a 1968 Cougar. I loved that car. BUT, it was the most unrealiable car I ever owned. I can't count the times it stranded me on the side of the road. Its funny, almost every time is was about to break down, I always had the feeling something was going to happen. Lets see, this car went through 3 engines, 3 transmissions, about 8 power-steering hoses, 3 air-conditioner compressors (I finally gave up on air), I lost the complete exaust system on many occasions. I also can't count the times that when it would rain and I would hit a puddle, and the exaust would come loose from the manifold. I would have to crawl under that car (many times in the water) to reconnect it.

I finally sold that car in the early 80's for $300, and the guy filled up the transmission with fluid, and drove it home. Come to find out maybe 10 years later, it was sold for scrap. I was told by the kids father a month later that if he had known I wanted the car back (I did) he would have given it back to me free of charge.

I must admit that it (the problems it had) might have been due to the fact that the garage I was have do work on it was not doing the job right, over and over again. I never wised up and went to another garage.

Cars I hate (ed) - Corvairs, especially early models. The yellow coupe that the teenage next door neighbor girl drove, when I was about 6 years old, left a negative impression, mainly due to the black, sooty rear end. I always wondered what was wrong with such a car. Then Ralph Nader confirmed my point of view.

Cars I love - Corvairs, especially early models. Strange how our opinions can change as we get older and wiser. I can spend hours now, inpecting every detail of a Corvair, and appreciating the uniqueness of the concept. I also like the variety of body styles, each offering something special. I love it when a Corvair Club caravans to a show that I am attending - so much to see!!!

I test drove a '61 Flattop in 1997, and was very close to buying it, but the owner wanted too much, and I ended up buying my Cadillac for half the price. I would sure love to have them both now, as 'bookends" for GM's 1961 offerings.

And another one that I utterly despised back in the early 1970's. Every day, as I rode my bike to elementary and junior high school, I would pedal past this horrible ugly car, and wonder who would EVER drive such a monstrosity? Now, I would dearly love to have that 1959 Chevrolet El Camino parked on my driveway.

It seems, too that there are a lot of cars that I did NOT like "then", that I appreciate and desire now. But it only seems to work one way - there are none that I liked then, that I don't like now. Ah, but for a larger garage.

Jim

Edited by quadfins (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This is an interesting thread, though potentially volatile. Ive owned very few cars over my life especially for a car nut. I've owned several for at least10 years.

Personal cars:1965 Beaumont (used)(1970-71), 1973 Gremlin X with 304 1973-75), 1976 Jeep CJ7 (1976-81),1976 Volare (came with the wife) (1976-87), 1987 Buick Electra estate (1987-97), 1996 Bonneville (1997-03), 1999 Bonneville (1999-09), 2009 Dodge Avenger (2009-), 1989 Dodge Ram (2002-04), 1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 (2003-).

Company-supplied cars: 1973 Ford, 1975 Ford, 1976 Grand prix, 1979 Ford, 1982 impala, 1987 Celebrity, 1992 Taurus, 1996 Tahoe, 1998 Dakota.

Old cars: 1931 Ford A, 1940 Packard 110, 1964 GT Hawk, 1947 Oldsmobile, 1967Mustang, 1934 Chevrolet (posted in rest forum).

All this to show the variety if not numbers. No real hate. the Volare had many, many recalls but we kept it 12 years. The Tahoe was a frequent visitor at the dealer for repairs.The Bonnevilles were excellent. The 99 is still being driven by my son-in-law and is approaching 300K. The Hawk gave me the most driving pleasure. The Gremlin was wicked on ice but fun in the dry.

My all time favorite, never owned, never driven or ridden in:Jag XKE. Purely subjective.

I've always had a hard time liking bathtubs except maybe the step-down Hudsons. One serious peeve, mag wheels and narrow whitewalls on an old car which is otherwise stock. :cool:

I was hanging out with some fellow car enthusiast friends this weekend and after a couple of beers we started talking about which make/models we loved and which ones we hated.

It was really interesting to see how passionate people were about both of these categories. So I thought I would start a thread and see how everyone here feels.

I will kick it off!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this topic also include Divisions of companies and the people who ran them and made decisions??:confused:

Don

Speaking of Corvairs, my first car was a '64 Corvair 700 sedan, black, red interior, 3 speed manual. It was a mechanical nightmare, oil issues, head gaskets, sucking exhaust through the heater vents, etc. I couldn't wait to get rid of it but I've always wanted another, especially a '65-'68 Monza 4 door hardtop.

When I was a kid, my parents had a '59 Impala 4 door hardtop, cameo coral and satin beige which they traded on a '66 Impala in mist blue, also a 4 door hardtop. I hated both then, but I'd sure love to have one or both of them now. If I found one at Hershey, it would be mine!

The cars I love:

1936-39 BMW 328 factory roadster or Wendler Cabriolet

Wills St. Claire A-68, although the latter six-cylinder has more beautiful lines.

Bugatti Type 22/23 boattail

Mercedes-Benz 540K Sport Cabriolet, side-windows only in the two doors.

Lancia Stratos

Bugatti Type 57 Atlante

1930-31 Delage D8 "Victoria" converitble

Ferrari 330 P4, but it's a racing car. Also like the prototype 206 S.

Cars I hate:

As a Finn I am supposed to put some eastern European cars here, or a cheaper Japanese.

I didn't think he ever quit the cancer sticks.

Last saw him @ an RM Auction Novi 3(?) years ago breathing oxygen out of a bottle, drinking a beer with a lit cig in his hand; a shadow of his former self. The pic you posted must have been taken a few years before that.

Yes, a great craftsman. And Theresa's cooking, mmmmm!!!!!

To be on topic here, love the Classics and many/most luxury cars. But thinking about it, there really aren't many that I don't like though I wouldn't want to own quite a few of them.

Don't like most custom/modified vehices though some turn out 'ok'. Really don't like resale red - particularly when splashed on the inevitable Vette/Stang/Caddy convertible.

Edited by YellowBird (see edit history)
  • 9 years later...
On 4/21/2011 at 6:56 PM, Shop Rat said:

Like this stunning example of a Minerva that was saved from the scrap yard for only $25 more than thirty years ago. It was left to a friend of ours who lovingly restored it and still owns it today.

post-36313-1431385173_thumb.jpg

post-36313-143138517302_thumb.jpg

post-36313-143138517304_thumb.jpg

post-36313-143138517306_thumb.jpg

i would be verry interested in the Whole storry and photo's before restauration.  Could you contact me PM   Thanks.

On 4/21/2011 at 6:56 PM, Shop Rat said:

Like this stunning example of a Minerva that was saved from the scrap yard for only $25 more than thirty years ago. It was left to a friend of ours who lovingly restored it and still owns it today.

post-36313-1431385173_thumb.jpg

post-36313-143138517302_thumb.jpg

post-36313-143138517304_thumb.jpg

post-36313-143138517306_thumb.jpg

i would be verry interested in the Whole storry and photo's before restauration.  Could you contact me PM   Thanks.

Just like John2Dameron said, I don't really hate any cars. I love going to shows and looking at cars and trucks in various stages of completion. I just love the automobile. That being said, my worst vehicle was a 1951 Ford F1. It ran excellent and drove really good, but, it had vacuum wipers and driving in the rain drove me crazy. My most favorite is my 1929 Model A. I bought it from an estate auction after the widow had been asked by everyone there. I left her my number and she called the next day. Her sons didn't want the car and she wanted it to go to someone who would love it like her husband did. I left work right then, got a roll back and picked it up. It's taken a lot of work but, as I promised, I would never get rid of it. I've owned it for about 10 years now.                  

The ShopRat hasn't been on the Forums for many years and I've seen other names here that brought back good memories of people. Some are no longer with us, I'm sure.

I don't truly "hate" any car, but there are plenty I'd never even consider owning. Whether weird/uninspired styling, weird/overly complex engineering, or combinations thereof. 

Heh. That eliminates 90% of what the carmakers are peddling the last five years!

Had to check if had posted before, didn't find anything.

Agree, I tend to like anything with wheels or wings. Do have to strain a bit at a '60 Ford and a Daimler SP250. Nicest car I'll never have is a Facel Vega HK-500 with Pont-a-moisson and AC. Other than that the cars in the garage now are all ones I like. Even have had interesting tow cars.

Had Vettes, Corvairs (inc a turbo Fitch Sprint), Jags, and MGs as a yout but never had a Ford or anything with a Ford engine (did race someone else's Formula Ford a bit - said you couldn't drift it. Were rong).

Dislikes: Drifting and Burnouts (consider both slow).

If you've never seen a car before think about a first impression.

If a car is presented as this car below it could completely turn you off for that make model of a car. So this car would be a hate for me;

Custom 1966 Buick Riviera stops by Jay Leno's Garage

Now for a "like" car below;

135032 1967 Buick Riviera RK Motors Classic Cars and Muscle Cars for Sale

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I got PAID to work on one, did not enjoy it at all, did I mention I got PAID to work on it? 135032 1967 Buick Riviera RK Motors Classic Cars and Muscle Cars for Sale

Heh. The Riviera was the simplest and most conventional of the GM E-bodies. I can only imagine what you'd think of servicing a Toronado or Eldorado.

Though after owning one, a Toronado is no worse than any other vehicle once you understand them.

They could have done better with front brakes though. Wheel cylinders are shared with Nova so they're readily available, but you have to take half the front suspension loose to replace one. 

• Like 1
On 4/20/2011 at 2:41 PM, Skyking said:

Gremlins did not have vacuum operated wipers, they were electric like every other car of the era.
I do like Gremlins and would love to own an "X" someday. 

No, the 1970 & '71's were vacuum with a fuel pump booster.  I believe electric was optional.  

What was most deceiving was AMC promoted the Gremlin as "America's most inexpensive car" at the time when it first came out. Problem for AMC was what it took to build it down to that price point where the rear seat and opening rear window was optional.  Not long after, Fiat countered with an ad showing the bare rear interior of a Gremlin, and stated the 2-door 128 was the same price and the rear seat was standard!!

Craig

The general consensus here at the shop is that the cars we hate the most are the stainless topped '57-'58 Cadillac Eldo Broughams.  Nightmares to work on.  On the other hand they are also among the cars we love the most for styling.

I have loved some cars that I was convinced hated me.  

The one I remember actually hating was my wife's first car, bought before we got married.  1978 Chev Monza 4 cyl auto with AC.  I could outrun that thing up hill on foot.  What a gutless POS it was.  It broke odd stuff that made no sense.   Managed to nurse it through 105K, and was thrilled to see it gone in trade for a K car wagon.  Didn't like that one much either.

Interesting, one of my favorite cars was a 1978 Sunbird (H-body like Monza). Major difference was a factory SBC /four speed/ posi. Broke nearly everything imaginable but won a lot of autocrosses. Think I traded with about 130k miles and an appetite for oil for a set of wheels.

1 hour ago, Zimm63 said:

I have loved some cars that I was convinced hated me.  

The one I remember actually hating was my wife's first car, bought before we got married.  1978 Chev Monza 4 cyl auto with AC.  I could outrun that thing up hill on foot.  What a gutless POS it was.  It broke odd stuff that made no sense.   Managed to nurse it through 105K, and was thrilled to see it gone in trade for a K car wagon.  Didn't like that one much either.

When a K car wagon looks like an improvement you KNOW it’s a verified POS!

• Haha 1