Which Car Cover for outdoor storage?

West Peterson

I may be loosing my garage space for a late-model car. It will sit for long periods of time, as I work from home. I would like to cover it, and would like to hear from those who know. Please, no opinions. Just facts.

I'm currently thinking between Evolution, Noah, and Weathershield HP.

West, I use a Budge cover for my two outside daily driver cars. Mainly to keep the sun from the paint and the interior. FYI, I would like to point out is that the manufacturer says you cannot use the cover on a car with lacquer paint. I only found this out by going to their webb site and would have never known because it says nothing about this on the box.

Don

Guest Tishabet

Would it be possible to use one of those tent-like carport things instead? I don't think they're prohibitively expensive and this would keep a cover from coming into contact with the paint and trapping moisture.

shcIcAXRJz-Qt5boSV7H9UPJwWBgz7p7E7dpMW0Ruf3rYCDRzSq8ial8cbaN8CZ0ofXEbQ785HRozvmjpcswziikAsXinUFKpIBi6CG2ChIIayZqhr8A-QscBbnIn7DN2cyU71ZrBCY9roG0jGg7PE66SytDtjK77h-qkda-7BbY08DXRRZNsg

West is there a Wolf brand? A fellow worker has had that brand on his late model Chevy pick up for years now. We park in a really nasty stone quarry all day long. It has done an incredible job as far as I can see. It is dusty, wet, and just plain nasty. The cover does a great job of protecting his dark blue truck.

Me I just keep a beater for work use only. I can't bring myself to drive anything decent into the slop.

Covering a car outside is like setting up a rain forest underneath the cover as condensation will form every single day. Leaving it uncovered will at least let it dry out on a regular basis.

I had a neighbor that parked a Caddy under a tarp. The car was in great shape when he parked it and Mother Nature had her way with it and returned it to its constituent parts in about 5 years.

I parked our '88 325iX under our deck for one summer in the shade and mold grew inside.

West,

I had purchased the Weathershield HP cover for my Dart, but the car is still stored in the garage. I can tell you that this product is a single layer cover that reminds me of nothing more than a ripstop nylon material and what I've also noticed is that even in the garage the dust still manages to sift through the cover. I can only imagine what it would be like outside, the dust mixing with moisture, I just can't believe that it would be a good thing. I've also considered that I just may replace it down the road for a double layer cover with a weather shield outer layer and a soft inner layer. Just my thinking on the Weathershield HP product, it wouldn't get my vote today. Scott...

Guest tcuda340

I've used Covercraft for years and currently have my brother's Dart covered with one here at work. A good cover will let the car breathe and dry out after it rains/snows. The biggest hassle can be trying to keep it on when it gets windy.

The "breathability" is the main thing I'm concerned about. As Barry has pointed out, moisture build-up is NOT acceptable. The cover would be removed a few times per week, but will be on the car overnight and during the day when not being used. The reason I want to cover it is because it'll be parked under trees... sap and small twigs always dropping.

The companies seem to claim that these products, "breath." That's what I'm trying to verify, with user experience. Do the covers breath enough to dry out each day? And/or, if I remove it two or three times per week, would that be more than enough "airing out"?

Thanks

West, I have a couple of Noah type covers that I use on the rare occasion I need to move a car out of the shop for a few days or a week to make some room. Though I hate to have any vehicles old or new sit out these type covers seem to do a decent job including keeping the moisture out.

Guest tcuda340

Technalon® / Evolution®

I've personally used this cover on a 69 Road Runnere that sat outside 24/7/365 and never had any moisture issues. It would dry out very quickly, obviously depending on the weather. The car would stay realatively clean as well. The only issue I ever had was, as the cover aged ( I'm talking years )it would leave a white powder residue on the car, which always washed off and never affected the paint.

west

don't buy the Hersh top of the line, it too air tight and the car will sweat under it. I think a garage, like above is smart cover in the weather, then an evolution 3 cover that breathes to protect the car. I use a evelution 3 three outside for years. I replaced it with better?? high grade cover and the wood got ruined as the cover trapped and held the moisture. You also may want to pit plastic down on the ground below the car, if there no sealed concrete to keep the moisture from the ground from getting under the cover.