1952 Buick Special Tire Size Help

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

I just bought a 52 Special Deluxe and it needs new tires. Currently it has 3 different tire sizes on it and all of them are too tall/wide. I can barely get the back tires out from under the fenders. The original spare was in the trunk and it is a 7.60x15. What size does this equate to in a new tire?

I believe the official conversion is to a 225/75R15 (that is the one I have heard mentioned most, I don't run radials myself)

One reason your rear wheels may want to stay in the wheel wells, is you are most likely jacking up the differential instead of the frame (that's my guess, forgive me if I'm wrong) Those old cars need to be jacked up by the frame.

Mike is right about jacking it up by the frame. Even so, it can be a tight squeeze to get a 225 R 15 or 215 R 15 tire in and out, and on the front wheels that size is very likely to rub the frame when wheels are turned all the way. You know, you can get 7.60 x 15" tires from most any antique tire dealer. I use Wallace Wade Tire Co. in Dallas, Texas for tires on all of my old Buicks. He is a BCA member and advertises in the classified ads of the Buick Bugle, and they will ship tires any distance.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

Guest shadetree77

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am glad to be here. The 52 is my first project older than the 70's so I don't have a lot of experience with these older classics. Guess you could say this has been quite a learning experience but I am enjoying every minute of it. As for the tires, I just bought the 52 Special Deluxe and it's "barn find fresh" for the moment and I'm looking to buy some used tires just for now so I can drive her up and down the road a little bit during the restoration process. Eventually I will look into getting some reproduction tires but for now I just need some old daily drivers in a new size for cheap.:D Think I'm gonna try to find some 215/75's. It's mostly got 235's on it now and even jacking it up from the frame it's still almost impossible to get them out from under the back end. I guess you could consider this my introduction to the forum so I'll give you a little background on my 52 and a few pictures. I've been looking for a 51 or 52 for awhile and I found this one on Craigslist a few weeks ago. It came from a wealthy family in North Georgia. The guy I bought it from said his grandpa bought it new, drove it for a few years then parked it in their barn when he bought a new one. There it sat untouched until about 6 years ago when the grandson got it out, fiddled with the motor, and got it started. He also managed to put 3 different size tires and one hell of a hack job 12v conversion on it then parked it back in the barn. He decided to sell it and I was the first one to look at it. It's completely untouched and original(except for the 12v hack job!)and amazingly the old straight 8 runs like a dream. No smoke, no leaks, and it fires up on the first try. Now if I could just get her to stop! I'm currently rebuilding the brake system. Anyway, that's my story and again, I'm glad to be here.

post-75106-143138516262_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143138516267_thumb.jpg

post-75106-14313851627_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143138516274_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77
NEAT!! Amazing how one can rust IN a barn. Good luck.

Ben

Well, from what I saw the barn probably hasn't been waterproof for quite some time. Lot's of holes and tin missing on the roof so I'm sure it got wet occasionally.

Cool. I really enjoy how smooth the straight eights are. A local fellow (and new BCA member) got his more or less complete and I saw it last summer...here's a look at what your car can look like some day. It's in way better shape than my '52 Roadmaster.

post-32068-143138516751_thumb.jpg

• 8 years later...