Water pump for 425's?

Guest Rob J

Guest Rob J

Where are you guys sourcing water pumps for a 65 425 w/ AC? It is hard to find a quality new one, and I've heard it is not advisable to use a re-built one. How about TA?

Rob.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Where have you looked so far? I found a new one online with NAPA for an a/c car. (a/c pumps have 5 impellers, non a/c cars have only 3).

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=TFW42563_0258160867&An=599001+101965+50008+2008026+25005&Ar=AND(P_RecType%3aA)

There's one on ebay from Russ Martin, Buickrodder.com, that looks like a Flowkooler brand. They show new ones as well, but they're sketchy as to what they'll fit.

Ed

Guest Rob J

Got an error on that link Ed.

I honestly haven't looked extensively. Was looking on Classic Buicks site, and they say it is a disco item. Strange that something as simple as a water pump isn't available from them.

Sorry about the link. Just go to www.napaonline and type in the year, make, and model of your car, then look for the link to either engine or cooling; I can't recalls which, and click on the link to water pumps.

I don't know the website for Flowkooler, (I think you could just type in flowkooler.com and it would show up. But if you type it in Google, it will appear.

Lots of times vendors like Classic Buick don't carry parts that are more readily available. Those vendors work on big markups, the local guys work on big volume. If there's pricing competition, the vendors back off. They usually only handle the really unique stuff.

Ed

Guest Rob J

OK, will check out NAPA and other local places. The only thing that concern's me about these local parts stores, is Made in China crap.

How about TA?

Rob.

The TA Performance water pumps have been recast to use a bearing in front rather than the factory bronze bushing for less resistance and a longer life. As originality wasn't my primary concern, I went with this one. You can tell the difference by looking if you know what to look for. In a AACA setting, the judges would find this, but chances are not at a local show. Drove mine 450 miles with the air on in OK and TX without an issue.

Got mine from Rock Auto. Cardone Select (new not rebuilt). It was around $50-60

An ROA friend contacted me last year because he was having problems finding the 5 blade impeller A/C pump. He ordered a reman through the local NAPA and it had 3 blades instead of 5. He sent it back, told them the problem and ordered again and it came in again as a 3 blade so he gave up and ordered from Rock.

Maybe just a mix up at that particular store but just beware of that. You want a 5 blade impeller pump.

Guest Rob J

Yes, 5 blade.

Speaking of blades. Can anyone tell me why the fan blades on the AC Riv's radiator cooling fan are offset in their spacing?

Did you say you got a new opg catalog? Ive only requested a catalog twice to no avail but they email me about their sale?!

Guest Kahuna28
Did you say you got a new opg catalog? Ive only requested a catalog twice to no avail but they email me about their sale?!

Yeah, it's new for me. The first one I've received from them, not sure if it's n need of updating or not. Not a very big catalog (they can always be bigger ), but it's a start, hopefully with their resources they can tackle some of the harder to find parts.. I just find it easier than searching their website!!

It took a couple weeks to get here (Michigan), I'd assume it would be faster to Arizona..

Actually its been a month since I called them with my 2nd request.Just another example of poor business ethics so Im happy to buy from companies or individuals who want my hard earned $$...Hey OPG are ya listening?

Hey guys don't get your hopes up with OPG. The one purchase I made cost me $20 to send back to them. They wouldn't cover the shipping on returns. I won't order again.

Kind of ironic that we are having all these issues with OPGI and they had an add for their Riviera catalog on Hotrod TV this morning.

Guest Rob J

I ordered an OPG catalog a couple of months ago, and received it about two weeks after I ordered it. They seem a bit overpriced, and based on what I've heard so far on them, I won't be placing any orders any time soon, unless their is something only they have and no one else does.

Like I always say, "You can't complain about the service, because there is no service to complain about"

Guest nickdaytona

Well, first my transmission was leaking and now my water pump. i was going to troubleshoot it but Rock auto has the cardone selects for $45 after discount so I'm not even going to bother. It's awesome that you can get a water pump for a 46 year old car at such a good price ! is there any issue with a 5 blade pump in a non-AC car?

A five impellers pump can cavitate in the housing and not move any water if the radiator can't handle the flow generated by five impellers. Then the water just sits and nothing cools.

I'd think as long as your radiator is clean and the water flows through it well, you shouldn't have any problems with 5 impellers on a non a/c car.

Ed

Guest Rob J

I just received the Cardone Select water pump. It looks like a nice unit. I can post some pics if anyone wants to see it.

Guest nickdaytona

I have one on the way from Rock Auto for $45. Had a couple of drops under the car and a drip on the bottom of the crank pulley so trouble shooting wasn't even worth it when a new pump was so reasonable !