Hemi's brake conversion: to ABS or not to ABS, that is the question...

Guest Lee_M

Guest Lee_M

i have read with great interest the posts about brake accumulator issues, and brake conversion projects.

i was wondering if there is a reason to NOT convert to a newer ABS brake system? i have found newer style ABS solutions for lebaron and daytona, thru 1993 or 1995, seem to be easily acquired, and maintained.

is there an issue with finding room for the power booster from a lebaron or daytona system?

regarding concerns about lawsuits: not worried - i have a pit-bull friend on call... besides, i could just say "oooh i'm old, i didn't know what i was doing"

:D

Guest BarelyFit

I don't know what the hub-bub about the accumulator is all about. The accumulator is perhaps the easiest fix on the entire system. Even ham handed part changers such as myself found no problems swapping this part out.

Guest StudeDude 01

I believe the best reason to keep the Teves ABS system intact is to preserve the originality of the car. They are now considered historic in some states and with the number of cars which have been junked/scrapped, converting over to a different Chrysler system seems to be a cheesy shortcut. The parts are still available through TC Parts and the system works well (at least in my cars). I'm curious about your "newer style solutions"---have you done a conversion on a Lebaron or Daytona from a non-ABS to ABS? Please enlighten us on that point---thanks.

Guest Lee_M

The accumulator to be sure is easy to replace, but I didn't think the accumulator was available as a new item anymore. also i read hemi's "historical narrative" on his conversion to a non-ABS solution. at least i think that is what he said he did...

i have not done anything like this, but i have one TC with a failed accumulator, and another that i think is starting to go.

Guest StudeDude 01

Call the guys @ TCPARTS.com and price out the accumlator-- I know it's available. I'll let you decide whether the cost is reasonable.

Guest BarelyFit

they are available but keep in mind there are lots of NOS parts out there. The NOS parts may not be any better than what you currently have.

Guest My TC Toy

Lee, new accumulators are readily available from TC Parts and Prior Brake Products. The brake "master" and anti-lock unit are also readily remanufactured.

I prefer to keep mine as original as possible, it's a good system, allbeit a little different than the norm, and works well.

Guest Lee_M

Thanks for all the info and advice, everyone.

i didn't know the accumulator could be purchased as "new" or nearly new.

if the cost is only around $140, that certainly is a lot better deal than a full brake system transplant.