Sign in to follow this  
Ames63

Its loud

So last week I thought maybe I had a hole on my exhaust system, the car was sounding pretty loud on start up and when I would come to a stop. Funny thing is the rpm's were right where they should be 650-725. I did notice that if I were to shift to neutral the loudness would go away, again rpm's 650-725 normal. Does anyone know why the car sounds loud as if the rpm's were racing high?

I imagine you have checked for an actual leak but another possibility is one or more of the rubber hangers for the exhaust has failed allowing the piping to contact the undercarriage at some point. The engine rotates slightly when under tension while in gear so it is also possible there may be a leak or contact only evident when in gear. I would suspect the round seal where the exhaust connects to the rear manifold. They get hard over time and that is where the engine movement is taken up.

I'll crawl up under it today or tomorrow and re-inspect it. I probably missed it the first time.

My guess is you have a small leak and when you put it in gear the engine's ecm maintains the idle RPM so the engine is doing a very small amount of work which would make a leak much louder. I had a 73 Camaro 350 cid 350 turbo auto and one of the manifold donut gaskets had a leak, in park you could not hear it. Drop it in gear and it got louder and lead you right to the problem.

One of my 1991 Reattas had an exhaust noise that sounded just like Randy's. I was told all the same things that Randy is being told. I found it very hard to locate the noise when I was by myself. It was only noisy when the car was cold and under load. In my case the exhaust pipe was hitting the small cross-member that is just behind the Cat. Rather than disturb an exhaust system that was leak free I removed the cross-member and replaced it with a couple washers under each mounting bolt to increase the clearance. Problem solved.